Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Slugging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Slugging
    Posted: 20 Apr 2005 at 10:00am
I am new to slugging, actually I have not even tried yet. I live off route 3 in Fredericksburg and work in DC at 17th and Penn. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best places and times for morning and evening lines? Thanks!

Kathy Rooker
wahoowa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahoowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2005 at 6:31pm
Are you going to be a slug or a driver? The closest lot to where you live, assuming you're on the west side of Fredericksburg, is the park and ride lot right off Rt. 3 on Gordon Rd.

I'm a driver and Rt. 3 passengers typically go only to the Pentagon (occasionally Rosslyn or Crystal City, but never into DC). You can of course take Metro from the Pentagon right into DC, or drive up to the Rt. 610 lot in Stafford where there are more drivers and slugs headed directly into DC. The latter option might be faster as it avoids the need for Metro.
arob196 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arob196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2005 at 7:32pm
Sometimes people do drive up to the Rt. 3 lot and drive to DC- this morning there was a driver that went to 18th St. and there is a consistent driver who syas, "DC" when he pulls up.....so there are some.
However, many people who go to DC go to Rosslyn in the morning, and there is a new Rosslyn line that goes to Rt. 3 in the afternoon. If you are interested, contact me for details.
renalie57 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renalie57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 2:50pm
I also slug into DC at 14th & Penn...there is just a handfull of drivers going that way. I know that there are other drivers that go into DC but, they usally just say pentagon because seems that everyone is going there. I would also like to get additional info from anyone going to DC. Rp

Renalie Prodigalidad
8605 Brighten Ct
Fredericksburg, VA 22408
540-891-0822
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 8:04am
Just a word about Net safety - I'm not sure that having your address and phone number as your signature is a wise idea. Please be careful.
CarlaThinley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarlaThinley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 12:17pm
I live in the City of Fredericksburg and am also new to slugging. I chose to slug to the Pentagon because it seems there are more rides to and from there. I go from 17 to Pentagon and then take a short Metro ride to McPherson. It's easy enough to hop on the Metro and only adds about 15 minutes to my commuting time.
Carla
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 12:40am
quote:
Originally posted by CarlaThinley
[br]I live in the City of Fredericksburg and am also new to slugging. I chose to slug to the Pentagon because it seems there are more rides to and from there. I go from 17 to Pentagon and then take a short Metro ride to McPherson. It's easy enough to hop on the Metro and only adds about 15 minutes to my commuting time.
Carla

Packet Switching.

Computers and the Internet as a model for commuting. Are there any computer code writers or gamers out there? Is anyone interested in developing a transportation model that has commuters "mode switching"?

Mode switching traditionally means from one mode to another, such as walking to a bicycle, switching modes to the bicycle, riding the bicycle to your car and switching modes. Driving your car to the METRO lot and switching modes. OK, this is monontonous. You get the idea.

But what about switching slug modes? Fredricksburg and points south would pick up slugs with an intermediate destination of a slug lot further north. At that downstream lot, they would swap passengers for their final destination. Must be something in linear programming or someone with an honor student at Thomas Jefferson that is willing to look at this as a science fair project.

Who knows, might be some future in two stage slugging.

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic