Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rising cost of gas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 10:48am
Gas prices are never going to go down again (long term). We have already tapped half the supply of available oil. While there is still lots left, we have already obtained that which is easily extracted. The rest will cost more and more to extract. Add to that the new demand for oil in Asia, and most economists predict gas prices of $5 per gallon in the next decade.

The traffic problem may actually get better as more people do a cost/benefit analysis and decide that maybe it is not so bad to commute in with Becky from Accounting and Joe from Human Resources.

One thing to munch on: slugging depends on horrible traffic. If the roads aren't clogged, drivers aren't going to want to use the HOV lanes. There may come a time where the driver's motivation will be a little tip from the slug rather than HOV.
wahoowa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahoowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 12:22pm
I agree that gas prices aren't going to go down in the long term, but at least wholesale prices for June gasoline delivery remain relatively low...possibly translating to $1.90 or less per gallon at the pump in Prince William and points south. We'll see.

I asked my State Farm agent about the possibility of carpoolers reimbursing me for part of my gas (not that I'd ever ask slugs to do such a thing!) and she said that helping out with gas is not considered "paying" for the ride, so it's kosher in terms of a personal insurance policy.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:01pm
who tips at starbucks?

:'}
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:07pm
Here's another good website to track gas prices:

http://www.virginiagasprices.com/
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 3:41pm
A slug paying for a ride from a slug line is a severe breach of long-established slugging protocol. Don't do it!

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 12:16pm
sluDge, old buddy, nobody advocates paying for a slug ride.

But, and it's a big one [;)], if the system changes, then slugging may end up changing, too. That is, if what is free now (highway use) becomes a cost (Toll Roads), then what is free now (slugging) may become a cost, too (Tips or Tolls).

If they charge us $.50 per mile, not out of the range of possibility, to use the Toll Roads, it will cost $15.00 one way from the 234 lot to DC. If a slug is willing to pay $3, then two slugs bring the per trip cost of the driver to $9.

(Really, the elephant in the room is the Per-trip versus the Per-mile rate of paying the toll. Which one do you think they will pick? Ha! As if!)
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 4:11pm
Then I add to my previous post of May 6th that not only are slugs part of the solution to save gas, they (slugs) could also be part of the solution for paying tolls in the future.
wahoowa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahoowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 11:02pm
FYI, WashingtonDCGasPrices.com is reporting many stations with $1.999/gallon regular in Woodbridge and Dale City. Yippee!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 2:44am
quote:
Originally posted by wahoowa
[br]FYI, WashingtonDCGasPrices.com is reporting many stations with $1.999/gallon regular in Woodbridge and Dale City. Yippee!

AAA publishes an article every year on the cost of operating an automobile.

http://www.csaa.com/global/articledetail/0,,1008010000%257c5173.html

IRS allows $0.405 (40.5 cents) per mile. AAA figures the notional cost at $0.561 per mile.

AAA reported six cost categories:

Depreciation: $3,879/year
Insurance $1,288/year
Fuel $1,288/year
Maintenance $885/year
Finance $739/year
Tax/Registr $355/year

AAA does not report the amount of time wasted. Texas Transportation Institute does that.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/

Slugging can save in every category except taxes and registration. Drive less and the car depreciates less. Drive less and the risk exposure goes down. Drive less and the car uses less fuel and requires less maintenance. Apply that savings to pay off the note quicker.

You might take a look at your own transportation finance. Especially if you are trying to figure out how to finance your children's college education.

Of interest is that fuel and insurance are about the same. Lots of people drive miles out of their way to get lower price fuel, but take little action to make the roads safer. Safer roads is what drives down insurance costs.

The TTI study attributes about half of the congestion to crashes. Make the roads safer and reduce the crashes.

Is this a good start for a national transportation policy?

The downside is that people on the receiving end of the cash flow aren't going to give an inch. Buy a new car now and keep the depreciation going. Even though there isn't a decent road to drive it on. ;P

dickboyd@aol.com
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:22am
As a slug...I would love for you to show me who exactly puts $885 per year into maintenance of their cars. I know its not drivers at the Horner road lot! ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic