Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ft Belvior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 4:08pm
I'm thinking the eastern part of PWC just got (another) boost in housing demands (see also all the relocations to Quantico)...

- Will
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 11:16am
According to Saturday's Post 18,000 will be moved/hired to Ft. Belvoir of which about 5000+ will be at the new Army hospital which will replace Walter Reed.

I work for an agency that is developing the new Army Museum and I just went there on Friday to visit the temporary office. When it is done 14 June 2011 there will be about another 100 folks moving there. We have plans to build in one of five places along Rt. 1. Just wait till you see all of the trafic from tourists trying to navigate off the beaten path to see our museum!!

I noticed that they are widening Rt.1 south of the post but I really don't think it will accommodate the crowds from workers and tourists. I'll be retired by Jan 2009 and have my house on the market at this time that year - goodbye gridlock - I'm moving far away to Ohio where we have roads to handle the traffic and don't over-develop!

Another 3013 will be moved/hired to Quantico. How many will be coming from Maryland and DC and clogging up the neighborhoods trying to get to Belvoir? This is going to be a real nightmare!
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 2:39pm
The news last night mentioned a proposal to extend the Blue Line to Ft. Belvoir to accomodate the expected influx of workers/commuters. Of course IF that passes it will be another 5-10 years before anything happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the Blue Line went all the way to Woodbridge?

Uhura, I'd take Rt. 1 as well, via Horner Rd or whatever is closest to you. My husband takes back roads all the way up until he gets towards Springfield, unless he sees that 95 is moving, which 9/10 times it isn't.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 3:06pm
What about 123-Lorton Rd-Rte 1?

- Will
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 5:19pm
Let's get the Ft Belvoir bandwagon rolling! [:D]
Because of the 12-14,000 more federal employees relocating to Ft Belvoir, we will soon need HOV-3 lanes on Rt 1, the Fairfax County Parkway, Beulah Street, and Telegraph Road! [;)]

Go ahead and put those HOT toll lanes on I-95 and I-395. [}:)]
Not many will use them, because everyone will be looking for an easy commute to Ft Belvoir! [:p]

Keep on sluggin! [:)]
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2005 at 8:35pm
I think im going to invest in one of those ultra lite planes.

Forget driving, im flying. Belvoir has a big parade field, I could land there[:p]
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 7:50am
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]I think im going to invest in one of those ultra lite planes.

Forget driving, im flying. Belvoir has a big parade field, I could land there[:p]

When I was stationed at NAS Norfolk, our hangars were on the waterside of the field (old sea plane hangars). Willoughby Spit (a finger of land) was about 2 miles across the bay by boat from the hangars and one of my (not so) bright mechs decided he'd just motor over in his boat to commute. The rather large party of station police and special security detachment that met him at the seaplane ramp was not very amused nor receptive to that idea...

- Will
uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]The news last night mentioned a proposal to extend the Blue Line to Ft. Belvoir to accomodate the expected influx of workers/commuters. Of course IF that passes it will be another 5-10 years before anything happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the Blue Line went all the way to Woodbridge?

Uhura, I'd take Rt. 1 as well, via Horner Rd or whatever is closest to you. My husband takes back roads all the way up until he gets towards Springfield, unless he sees that 95 is moving, which 9/10 times it isn't.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Thanks for the tip, WB. Any intel about the looks of Rte 1 going from Woodbridge to Ft. Bel @ around 6:15 a.m. (Mon-Fri)?

uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 12:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Let's get the Ft Belvoir bandwagon rolling! [:D]
Because of the 12-14,000 more federal employees relocating to Ft Belvoir, we will soon need HOV-3 lanes on Rt 1, the Fairfax County Parkway, Beulah Street, and Telegraph Road! [;)]

Go ahead and put those HOT toll lanes on I-95 and I-395. [}:)]
Not many will use them, because everyone will be looking for an easy commute to Ft Belvoir! [:p]

Keep on sluggin! [:)]

DE, I know that you are saying this "tongue in cheek" but I think you may be onto something...Those dumbbots in The Building needed to consider how everyone is going to travel down the two lane nightmare that is Rte 1 in order to get to Ft. Bel....
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 3:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]What about 123-Lorton Rd-Rte 1?

- Will

Lorton Rd. is under construction and gets pretty jammed up at times. Also, at night the backup at the light to turn from Lorton Rd. to 123 gets to be a mile long. You also have construction delays on 123 but those don't usually happen at rush hour.

Is it true that Ft. Belvoir has no internal busing? I know the REX (Richmond highway Express) enters the base but I'm not sure how much it drives through the base. Plus, the REX doesn't go to the Springfield metro. If all these job transfers do go through the state is going to need to speed up the rebuilding of route 1. So far the only spot that has been done is right near Lorton Rd. A one mile section out of how many? If the feds go through with this they better fund a bunch of transportation projects to accomodate this growth. I won't hold my breath.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic