Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac River Commute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potomac River Commute
    Posted: 13 May 2005 at 2:29pm
Why doesnt the area take a serious look at making the Potomac River a water-route for commuting? Having different stops at various locations along the river, building lots for parking along the shoreline, etc. Not sure if theres any land available along the coastline. Wonder what costs would be involved? Just an idea and new topic of conversation dealing with the brutal commuting situation...
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 3:31pm
No doubt, that has been a topic of conversations many an afternoon while sitting in traffic with fellow HOV'ers. Then those who shall remain nameless will start spouting, charge them!! charge them!! HOT on the waterways!! Sorry, it's been a long week. HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

:'}
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 5:53pm
Baz,

About 10-15 years ago there were local news reports about a potential water commuting service on the Potomac. If I remember correctly, there was a a study underway that looked promising for a mixture of both conventional boats and hydrafoils to provide commuter services in a very similar manner to what you describe. Obviously, it didn't become reality. You can probably find the old articles in thte back issues of local newspapers.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 7:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Why doesnt the area take a serious look at making the Potomac River a water-route for commuting? Having different stops at various locations along the river, building lots for parking along the shoreline, etc. Not sure if theres any land available along the coastline. Wonder what costs would be involved? Just an idea and new topic of conversation dealing with the brutal commuting situation...

Congressman Frank Wolf was a big advocate of ferry boats. Politically, I think ferry boats were a red herring to draw attention away from promoting ride sharing efforts along the lines of slugging. I think the aide to Cong Wolf is still on his staff. If you want to check, Council of Governments (Jon ??) had some history on ferries for the DC area.

If by serious look you mean did anyone cost it out? Yes, it was costed out. As I remember, the rides would be about $20 one way from Dumfries to Watergate. Since Dumfries wasn't in Congressman Wolf's district the idea sort of died a natural death. There were a few people working in the Langley Complex, CIA, FHWA that used a row boat across the Potomac. Winter weather was a deterent.

Marin County, California did adopt ferry boats with, I believe, federal assistance from San Rafael (?) to Fisherman's Wharf (?).

Yes, it is good to consider alternatives for commuting. Especially for comparison to slugging. Slugging looks better and better with every suggestion. If there is a comparison, slugging should be the gold standard of comparison.

dickboyd@aol.com
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2005 at 1:18pm
Doesn't the water on the Potomac belong to the Peoples Republic of Maryland as far as turf?
Undisclosed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2005 at 4:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]Doesn't the water on the Potomac belong to the Peoples Republic of Maryland as far as turf?

No. The river is in Maryland -- the boundary is the low-water mark on the River's Virginia shore. Although Maryland thus owns the entire riverbed, Virginia is entitled not only to full dominion over the soil to its shore's low-water mark, but has a right to such use of the river beyond the line of low-water mark as may be necessary to the full enjoyment of her riparian ownership, without impeding the navigation or otherwise interfering with the proper use of it by Maryland.

There was a Superme Court case a few years ago involving Maryland's attempt to regulate Virginia removing water from the Potomac for its water supply. Maryland lost; Virginia is entitled to take water from the river and there is nothing Maryland can do about it.

Undisclosed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 3:42am
Right. As stated, "The river is in Maryland."
The question was: "Doesn't the water on the Potomac belong to Maryland?"
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 11:27am
Perish the thought! [xx(]
An overturned barge and tugboat blocking the HOV commuter channel on the Potomac! [;)]
Boats backed up to Mt. Vernon! [:p]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 12:07pm
So I'd have to ride the ferry down to the Chesapeake, then back up the Rappahanock? Wonder how long that would take?

Since you all want to get water involved, how about just putting stargates at all the commuter lots? We could still have SOV and HOV wormholes.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 12:21pm
There was supposed to be a ferry from Belmont Bay up to DC. I don't know where that idea has gone. VRE friends probably crushed the idea. The high initial cost and the large continued subsidy makes the whole thing unlikely. I remember reading a study of four different possible routes. The one that would lose the least amount of money was a route from southern MD to VA so I wouldn't get my hope up for a route helping out the I95 congestion any time soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic