Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disturbing trend beginning at Rt. 17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disturbing trend beginning at Rt. 17
    Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 9:14am
It has been discovered that "will call" practices is in accordance with slugging etiquette. Therefore the message that existed here has been deleted in retraction. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you.

Edited by - kortegel on 02 Aug 2002 12:27:26
Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2002 at 1:55pm
Kortegel,

You make a good point, but I think your request just may fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately I've come to find out that it's mostly the conscientious ettiquette abiding sluggers who use this forum.

BSlug

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 7:32am
I saw this happen three times this morning in the 610 lot.
Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 8:34am
The recent string that discussed this is under "General Slugging," "Can I Reject a Rider." Very interesting. The general consensus seemed to be that picking and choosing has a negative impact on the slugging system and that those who do it need to refrain from using the slug line. I agree with Bslug - I don't think the offenders would necessarily be reading this message board and if they do, people who display this inconsiderate behavior probably wouldn't care. I don't have an answer on how to deal with these people. How do you convince someone that what they are doing is not for the good of the slugging system. What if everyone did it - there would be no slugging system.
Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 4:36pm
Stafford: Read the other string I referred to.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 7:49am
I tend to agree that drivers have the right to drive whoever they want to work; after all, it is their car, their gas, etc. On the other hand, there is an issue of basic line etiquette - not SLUG LINE etiquette, just LINE etiquette. Wherever people stand in a line, everyone, even elementary school kids, knows the rules and violating basic line etiquette simply makes people uncomfortable. Few things are more rude than jumping a line. So when people see someone do it, they don't like it. Maybe if the perceived breech of line etiquette were reduced people wouldn't be so put off by this practice. If I were driving and spotted my golfing buddy or a coworker on the line, maybe I would park, get out, and approach the person to offer a ride. I think people would object less to this approach.

Either way, I don't think the slug system will collapse over this issue.

Keep sluggin'

Mike
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 10:08am
I feel compelled to answer this item. I have picked up friends from the line on odd occasions. They are my neighbors so I pick them up. Usually I see them and drive past the line and ask them to ride in with me. I have been on both sides of the slugging issue so I know how it looks and feels. However, I do not think that it will shut down the system in any way. As far as I can tell slugging has been around for almost 20 years and is thriving in our area. The one note that I will take away from this is that if I see my friends in line I will not wait in line and then pull them out of the back of the line. I will make an effort to do as the previous writer says and park and then ask them to join me. I would like to point out that posting a flyer is probably not going to do anything. Just as riders have the right to refuse a ride I have the right to pick up who I am comfortable with. I have had riders who were perfect guests in my car and others that either talk about things that I have no interest in or snore so loud that I can not focus on the driving part.

viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 1:05pm

As a driver, I have a right to pick people that I know to ride with me. I do not do it all the time. I have also been a slug, and the system has worked fine for the last 20 or so years, so by me calling for someone I know to ride with me every once in a while is not going to shut the slug system down. I am shocked by the reactions the slugs have given on this. It is a free ride you know. And the system works.

Yes, Stafford, you doooo have the right. However, that doesn't make it right! It's boorish, insensitive and downright rude. Give it up!

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 7:45am
What’s the definition of regular???? Once a week, twice?? This is a never ending subject. The "friends" that I see do not get there at a regular basis, therefore we can not establish a regular carpool and we depart at different times in the afternoon. I tend to agree with the writer that said the system has been running for quite a while and this will not "break" the system. I read with interest the writer who wanted to throw eggs at HOV violators. Great way to start something that will lead to violence. Is that where this is heading?

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 12:23pm
Just wanted to go on record as saying that in another thread it was revealed to me that "will call", which is a practice in which drivers call out specific people in line IS acceptable behavior. The reason why I missed it in the etiquette section is because it is under "slugging terms" not "etiquette". THEREFORE, I will simply grin and bear it from now on, and encourage my fellow riders who get upset when they see it to do the same! Sorry for the confusion.

K.O.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic