Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Trailers on the HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 12:49am
quote:
Originally posted by SHIPM8S
[br]Surely you aren't referring to NON-commerical pickup trucks?

ShipM8s

You know why cowboy hats curl up?

So they can sit three abreast in the pickup.

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 1:07am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]And of course, the root cause of this morning's accident will be either distracted driver (cell phone) or going too fast for conditions.

Maybe, but there have also been crashes where the driver had physical problems. Remember the gasoline truck near the Pentagon? Last February? the driver died of a heart attack.

If the cause was physical, maybe there should be stricter physical requirements for truckers and tighter control on driving time.

Pay me now or pay me later. Get quality drivers or pass the cost on to the motoring public.

CVS and Giant have some of the safest drivers on the road. Their driving programs are unmatched in the industry. Except maybe for the moving van company in Springfield. Name escapes me. But the owner is Arthur Morisette (??)

dickboyd@aol.com
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:03am
quote:
[br]If I'm not misinformed, it was a CVS tractor trailer.

I'm still looking for anyone that can tell me how Fluor (if the lanes were HOT instead of HOV) could have prevented this morning's mishap, or done a better job of reducing it's impact to the rest of the commuting public.

They would have already collected the tolls from points further south (sir, may I have a refund?), and no doubt would have continued to collect tolls from vehicles entering north of the accident. I fail to understand what resources they would have available to them (that are not currently available to VDOT) that would have allowed them to clean this up under the timeframes contained in their proposal.

HOT will NEVER work, and HOV will only get better when they change the rules to get rid of non-HOV vehicles, including tractor trailers and hybrids with less than the required 3 passengers.

ShipM8s

Interesting how ShipM8s comments vary from Ronin "Of course, on the flip side (no pun intended), even if the truck had been/stayed in the main lanes, they probably would've rescinded the HOV restriction this morning in the interests of traffic flow, so it probably would've been ugly either way"

Please, let's get rid of the hybrid exemption to hasten the tolls!!! Regular lanes don't move, HOV does, even with hybrids. More in regular lanes = more pressing need to balance the flow = tolls! Thanks, ShipM8s.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:22am
FWIW, in Hampton Roads (site of the other extensive deployment of HOV lanes) NO commercial trucks are allowed and signage explicitely says so. I've always wondered why they were allowed up here -- especially after almost being run off the road twice by one drifting into my lane on 395...

- Will
SHIPM8S View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHIPM8S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 9:10am
Don't thank me No SUV - I didn't say anything to bolster your argument. But I did notice that you avoided answering my original question.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[br]If I'm not misinformed, it was a CVS tractor trailer.

I'm still looking for anyone that can tell me how Fluor (if the lanes were HOT instead of HOV) could have prevented this morning's mishap, or done a better job of reducing it's impact to the rest of the commuting public.

They would have already collected the tolls from points further south (sir, may I have a refund?), and no doubt would have continued to collect tolls from vehicles entering north of the accident. I fail to understand what resources they would have available to them (that are not currently available to VDOT) that would have allowed them to clean this up under the timeframes contained in their proposal.

HOT will NEVER work, and HOV will only get better when they change the rules to get rid of non-HOV vehicles, including tractor trailers and hybrids with less than the required 3 passengers.

ShipM8s

I think you're avoiding the question because you know the answer won't support your position. Or perhaps you find the question confusing[?] It's clear you'd rather pay a toll and ride alone. You're part of the problem, not the solution. I wonder how often you'll visit when the hybrid exemption is gone and HOT doesn't materialize? I stand my original statement.

ShipM8s
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 10:08am
Oh, don't hold your breath, Shipm8s. The Toll Roads are going to materialize, right before your very eyes. They are coming. That sound you hear is the marshaling of the arguments against HOV.

Consider that the dean of traffic engineering in Virginia is a UVA professor by the name of Hoel. Lester Hoel, to be exact. (http://cts.virginia.edu/Hoel.htm if you're curious)

And consider this statement from the precis of Professor Hoel's 2002 study of the HOV lanes on I-64:
"it is found that the HOV lane of I-64 in Hampton Roads area provides some travel timesavings and a more reliable trip time to the HOV lane travelers. But the time saving is small, and the HOV lane is not efficient for the whole freeway facility. There is the HOV lane underutilization problem."

Ah, the old "unused capacity" canard again. The solution they offer for this is always the same: let rich people buy the unused portion of the public pie. The solution should be: let's make it easier for people to ride-share.

Anyway, on with Dr. Hoel's paper:
"Two improvement alternatives are considered: change the current HOV lane to another general-purpose lane, which can reduce the vehicles in queue per lane by twelve percent, or to the HOT 2+ lane, which can eliminate the vehicles in queue per lane by applying real time value pricing strategy."

Here, folks, is the twisted root of the whole blasted Toll Road fiasco. When the smartest traffic engineer at your best state university says HOV doesn't work and we need to consider a "value pricing strategy," well, who's gonna argue with him?

The problem is, his engineering-based bean-counting methodologies don't accept the awkward variables of human behavior. What price the loss of our public spaces? What price for taking our roads from the poorest citizens and reserving them for the well-off? How does this make us a better Commonwealth?
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 10:37am
Selecting HOV on I-64 in Hampton Roads was the wrong way to go for an overall evaluation of usage/capacity (unless, of course, you are setting up an argument against free HOV...). The traffic patterns down there are such that by my estimate (after spending the better part of 16 yrs there and using them), the limited access lanes (which are present only in Southside and primarily serve to direct traffic to the Norfolk Naval Base) are in fact, underutilized as nearly 2/3 of the traffic in Southside is headed either into downtown Norfolk our out to Va. Beach -- neither of which is served by HOV lanes. Up on the penninsula (Newport News, etc) it is the I-66 model. Both end in that traffic nightmare called the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. To give folks here a sense of overall utilization of the limited access lanes in Southside -- anytime there is a "major accident" during rush hour (1 or more lanes blocked) or a significant backup, they open the HOV lanes to all traffic. Imagine the mess here if they did that...

- Will
khaller View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:23pm
An update to the tractor trailers in HOV lanes: I spoke with Delegate Scott Lingamfelter (R-31) at work after the accident and he said that he'd put in a bill to keep trucks and tractor trailers off the HOV lanes. The VA House Cmte on Transportation tabled a similar measure back in January 2005 (HB 1528), but who knows, maybe after this accident, we can resurrect it and get it passed. Use the internet to find your delegate (http://legis.state.va.us/) and send them an email!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 10:46am
Tens of thousands of semis have used the HOV lanes for decades. This is the first time I've heard of an accident, and it is directly related to the sharp turns under the Mixing Bowl. Those turns are temporary only -- the road is going to be straightened out.

Did you know that the toll road builders also propose to ban all "large truck" traffic on their lanes? I almost never see semis on the HOV during restricted hours, except for the occasional moving van -- few semis carry three passengers.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2005 at 2:39pm
It's simple: If HOV restricts vehicles to a minimum of three occupants, then ALL vehicles, including commercial trucks and hybrids, should be required to carry 3 people while in HOV lanes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic