Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Trailers on the HOV Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 10:51am
As much as the big trucks annoy me in the HOV lanes, they should be allowed to use the lanes just like everyone else. Theyre definately not any worse drivers than car/auto drivers thats for sure. So thats not a reason to keep them out. Everyone has a tendancy to speed, be careless, distracted, ect. Im sure there has been more car accidents in the HOV than semi accidents. They are definately harder to see around and are slower in their takeoffs in congested lanes, but we should have to suck it up and deal with it. They want to get where theyre going as fast as possible too.
SHIPM8S View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHIPM8S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 10:40am
If I'm not misinformed, it was a CVS tractor trailer.

I'm still looking for anyone that can tell me how Fluor (if the lanes were HOT instead of HOV) could have prevented this morning's mishap, or done a better job of reducing it's impact to the rest of the commuting public.

They would have already collected the tolls from points further south (sir, may I have a refund?), and no doubt would have continued to collect tolls from vehicles entering north of the accident. I fail to understand what resources they would have available to them (that are not currently available to VDOT) that would have allowed them to clean this up under the timeframes contained in their proposal.

HOT will NEVER work, and HOV will only get better when they change the rules to get rid of non-HOV vehicles, including tractor trailers and hybrids with less than the required 3 passengers.

ShipM8s
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 10:38am
I VRE'd it this morning. If it wasnt so expensive I would think about VRE'ing everyday.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 9:49am
And of course, the root cause of this morning's accident will be either distracted driver (cell phone) or going too fast for conditions.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 9:47am
You know speed was the reason for this accident -- that curve is bad in a regular sized car.

After the driver recovered (because he was critical) they should charge him for reckless driving. Tractor trailer in general on a good day scare me to death on the beltway. Too big and going too fast.
SHIPM8S View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHIPM8S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 9:23am
Let's play Devil's Advocate for a few minutes...[}:)]

If the HOV lanes were actually HOT Lanes, and the tractor trailer involved in this morning's accident (from everything I've read, this was a single vehicle accident) was a bonafide paying HOT-user, what would Fluor have done to clean the mess up and get the lanes moving sooner that VDOT didn't or couldn't do this morning[?] My guess is NOTHING!

Rumor has it, the truck has been moved to the side, but is still there. They intend to close the HOV lanes between 11:00 and 2:00 to tow it out. If it takes longer, it will no doubt have a negative impact on this afternoon's commute home [:(!].

And, until the rules regarding these types of vehicles change, it WILL happen again...the only question is when?

ShipM8s
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 8:16am
HOV should not be for commercial vehicles of any kind (other than public/mass transit carriers) no matter what the time.

SHIPM8S View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHIPM8S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 7:15am
After this morning's miserable commute [:(!], isn't it about time VDOT reconsider their policy of allowing tractor trailers to use the HOV lanes completely (at any time)? Especially given the construction in the mixing-bowl which has the lanes narrowed considerably, these vehicles pose a hazard not only to commuters, but apparently to themselves as well.

Last traffic report I heard said even though the lanes have now reopened, travel time between Rt. 234 and the Beltway is approximately 178 minutes...[}:)]

ShipM8s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic