Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are there "Body Snatchers" at your slug lot?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are there "Body Snatchers" at your slug lot?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 2:17pm
It has been discovered that "will call" practices is in accordance with slugging etiquette. Therefore the message that existed here has been deleted in retraction. Sorry for the confusion. Thank you.

Edited by - kortegel on 02 Aug 2002 12:30:22
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 3:45pm
It's been going on for over 8 years...as long as I've been slugging, and I don't see a problem. So, it just didn't happen recently. Slugging is not Government regulated. It is a free ride to work. This "body snatching" as you call it doesn't happen that often...and I've stood in hundreds of lines over the years. Slug rules, if there are such a thing, say that it is the right of the driver to call someone over if they want, as it is the right of a passenger to refuse to ride with someone.

My feeling is be patient...you will get to where you're going to. I have never been stranded slugging...even when the "body snatchers" come by :) If you're in a hurry, maybe the train, bus, carpool or vanpool would be the way to go.

"Body snatching" by definition (see below) is not taking certain slugs from the slug line itself. "Body snatching" is cruising the lot trying to pick up slugs BEFORE they get to the line. This is not an acceptable practice, so I'm editing this response.

Edited by - 610_slug on 02 Aug 2002 11:40:06
TKest View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 7:23am
610slug: Nice that you feel that way, but I disagree with you. As someone said on the "Can I Reject a Rider" string, just because there is no rule, doesn't make it right. We already know how you feel from previous messages and that is great for you. We also (like you) have the right to disagree!!!!
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 8:13am
quote:

It's been going on for over 8 years...as long as I've been slugging, and I don't see a problem. So, it just didn't happen recently. Slugging is not Government regulated. It is a free ride to work. This "body snatching" as you call it doesn't happen that often...and I've stood in hundreds of lines over the years. Slug rules, if there are such a thing, say that it is the right of the driver to call someone over if they want, as it is the right of a passenger to refuse to ride with someone.

My feeling is be patient...you will get to where you're going to. I have never been stranded slugging...even when the "body snatchers" come by :) If you're in a hurry, maybe the train, bus, carpool or vanpool would be the way to go.

Seems to me that it's the driver's car and it's the driver's prerogative to reject whomever he chooses for whatever reason he wants (any reason....even if he wants to reject all blacks because he's a Klan member, it's his car). That doesn't mean that someone should routinely pull out people from the back of the line; it would destroy the system if everyone started doing this. But if I, as a driver, came up to, say, 14th & Constitution and saw my next-door neighbor waiting 6 people back, I would indeed call him out of the line and, if challenged, tell the others that he's my next-door neighbor. (If there were enough slugs in line I would take the first two as well.)
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 8:31am
quote:

USA brings up a good point...maybe a happy medium is to take a neighbor or friend so long as you take at a minimum the first person in line going to your destination? I think this would make everybody happy. Unfortunately, what has been practiced in my presence lately is a driver pulling up and pulling multiple people from the BACK of the line which is total BS.

K.O.

After I posted I thought about it some more I have to agree that, on the whole, it is rude to pull to the line and grab two people from the back; while I also believe that it is the driver's prerogative to select people (for example--if I see someone smoking in line, that person will not be allowed into my car, which has always been smoke-free and is going to stay that way), I think the people who have said that the driver should pull the car somewhere else and then approach those people have the right idea (where this can be done, of course--on 14th Street that might be tough). I know some people don't think that the driver should take a neighbor or even a spouse, but the way I see it is that--suppose the slug were to have someone picking him up at the slug line. If the neighbor calls him out and gives him a ride all the way home, doesn't that further the purpose of the whole system by taking another vehicle off the road?
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 8:33am
quote:

suppose the slug were to have someone picking him up at the slug line

By the above text I meant, of course, the drop-off point (I think of the drop-off point as a slug line as well because there's a morning line there in many cases).

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 9:03am
quote:

Although I have seen it written, I find it unrealistic to expect a driver not to pick up a spouse or family member. Slugging after all is supposed to be convenient, not inconvenient. It makes no sense for a driver to leave behind their spouse when it would obviously be more convenient to drive home together. However, some have extended convenience to friends, coworkers, and neighbors. It seems that some drivers don't realize that by picking certain people out everyday what they have is a CARPOOL and that needs to be arranged and practiced outside the slug system.

I believe everyone would agree with that final sentence. (I was operating on the presumption that whether one does this depends on who's there when one pulls up to the line.)
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 11:22am
"Body snatching" and calling people from the slug line are two different things, according to "slug etiquette" posted on this site. It states...

"No "Body Snatching." If the line of cars picking up slugs is too long, many times drivers will cruise the commuter parking lots, attempting to pick up slugs walking to the line. This practice is unfair to both slugs and drivers. I have seen this rule both enforced and violated, by both drivers and slugs. Hopefully, this rule will stand the test of time; otherwise, it will be a free-for-all."

This happened a lot at Potomac Mills because the car line was so long..drivers would try and pick up slugs getting out of their cars before they got to the line.

"Body snatching" has NOTHING to do with pulling up to the slug line and calling out for certain people to ride with you. Please reread the definition. So, unless you're slugging from a lot where the line of cars is longer than the actual slug line, you would probably not see people cruising the lot trying to pick up slugs before they stood in line. Just wanted to set the record straight.

610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 11:57am
Look under slugging terms on this web site (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Slugging%20Terms.htmat) at the bottom of the page:

"Will Call — the driver’s option to pick a particular slug not at the front of the line. This situation usually happens when a driver sees a friend in line and simply calls for that individual."

This is an acceptable practice and has been for years.

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2002 at 12:20pm
Well I'm eating crow as I read the last message. It's unfortunate, since I've seen how upset the practice is making people (not just myself) but there it is in black and white. Will grin and bear it from now on.

K.O.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic