Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spotsy/Fred area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotsy/Fred area
    Posted: 06 Jun 2005 at 4:50pm
I really really want to slug but my biggest issue is I work until 5:00 - 5:30 at 17th & Penn. So, by the time I got to the Pentagon or Rosslyn, if there are no drivers, then what? There are no buses for back up transportation to get me back to my car. I am new to the area and know nil about DC so driving for me at this point is out of the question. I thought about driving to Horner Road to at least have backup transportation. Any ideas? Am I stuck with VRE? VRE is so expensive! Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks. [?]
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 8:01am
Assuming you slug from 3 or 17, your bus back up is Martz. There website is martzgroup.com. They pick up at various locations around DC including the Pentagon. Martzgroup.com for further info
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 9:31am
I can empathize with you, SSBug. I slug from Fredericksburg up to Horner, then to DC, for the exact reason you mention. If you can avoid doing that, I would. The morning commute can get very stressful. I think I'm going to look into the Martz thing, but I suspect it may be too cost-prohibitive for me personally.
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 3:03pm
Thanks for the Martz info. Mr Slug! I assume the slug line and Martz drop off/pickup are one in the same or close by? The Martz website gave all info. for DC pick up/drop off locations but not Rt. 3, 17 & 208 pickup/dropoff.

pb1974, Martz is expensive ($20 one way)but it is worth every penny as a backup. Anything is better than taking VRE everyday. Heck, even if I took Martz once a week I would still come out way ahead. I am originally from the Richmond area but I was in Jersey for 5 years and commuted to NYC everyday and it was a lot less stressful and time consuming -- believe it or not. I had no idea...

Thanks again for the responses. This is a great website!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 3:27pm
You can buy a monthly pass for 210.00 or a 20 book pass for 150.00. The 20 book does not have a time limit. Also, the park and ride lots are where you go to get on the martz buses. 3 and 17 are closest to you, you can also get it at 208 and 610...
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 4:14pm
Thanks for the locations Mr Slug. The 20 trip would come out to $7.50 one way. Not bad... Not to sound like a broken record, but anything beats monthly VRE and then metro on top of that (almost $300)! Since I get out of work later than most, I can slug in and catch Martz across the street going home. That would save me $150 a month. NICE! [:D]
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 6:08pm
Glad to be of help. I moved here about 18 months ago, and I also didn't expect the commute to be so bad because VRE looked workable on the internet. I did the VRE thing for three months and became very disatisfied with the train not being on time and being so slow. I then did the Martz bus for about 6 months. Martz is generally a good ride. Martz would sometimes be late by about ten minutes which was aggravating especially going home. I noticed these crazy folks standing in line when I was catching the bus and I thought, these folks must be crazy standing in line to ride with a total stranger. But one day, I missed the bus for like the fifth time in two weeks (the Martz bus had a bad habit of leaving the park and ride just when I would arrive for it, lol), and I got the courage to get in the slug line. I have been slugging ever since. I leave early (I get to 610 at 6:00 am) to cut the commute time in the morning, and I am usually in my office in downtown DC near the capital by 7:15. Since I work a flex schedule, I also leave DC about 3:45 in the afternoon, and take the metro to the Pentagon and slug home from there. I miss the worst of the traffic and get back to Stafford around 5:00 each day. Its a long commute for sure, but much better than living in the madness of the DC area.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2005 at 9:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by CallmeMrSlug
[br]Glad to be of help. I moved here about 18 months ago, and I also didn't expect the commute to be so bad because VRE looked workable on the internet. I did the VRE thing for three months and became very disatisfied with the train not being on time and being so slow. I then did the Martz bus for about 6 months. Martz is generally a good ride. Martz would sometimes be late by about ten minutes which was aggravating especially going home. I noticed these crazy folks standing in line when I was catching the bus and I thought, these folks must be crazy standing in line to ride with a total stranger. But one day, I missed the bus for like the fifth time in two weeks (the Martz bus had a bad habit of leaving the park and ride just when I would arrive for it, lol), and I got the courage to get in the slug line. I have been slugging ever since. I leave early (I get to 610 at 6:00 am) to cut the commute time in the morning, and I am usually in my office in downtown DC near the capital by 7:15. Since I work a flex schedule, I also leave DC about 3:45 in the afternoon, and take the metro to the Pentagon and slug home from there. I miss the worst of the traffic and get back to Stafford around 5:00 each day. Its a long commute for sure, but much better than living in the madness of the DC area.

Slug lines are highly classified and a huge secret. Baz will have to check you out.[:D][8D][:D]
I'm glad Baz has a sense of humor.

dickboyd@aol.com
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2005 at 10:39am
Sounds like you have a good system Mr Slug. I guess it just takes a while to see what works the best. I work at a law firm so they are sticklers for time (no flex) but I think slugging and the bus will work out best for me. Thanks for all your help!

dickboyd, its a good thing I have a sense of humor! Baz? Who's that? Ok, so, does that mean I already failed the test? No classified info. for me! Geez! [;)]

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2005 at 9:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpotsySlugBug
[br]...but I think slugging and the bus will work out best for me. Thanks for all your help!

dickboyd, its a good thing I have a sense of humor! Baz? Who's that? Ok, so, does that mean I already failed the test? No classified info. for me! Geez! [;)]

Welcome to slug-lines.com. Slugs can always use someone with a sense of humor. If you found out about slug lines, you are several steps ahead in breaking the code of how to live well in northern Virginia. Baz is one of the slugs you want to put on your must read list. Right up there with the Sponge.

Just don't let too many people know about slugging. Next thing you know, the drive alones will be converting to slughood. Then there won't be any congestion. No congestion, no morning conversation topic when the Redskins aren't playing. People may actually start working when they get to work. [:D][8D][:D]

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic