Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spam from RobertLangDirect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 6:04am
Spamming of Message Board Emails - It was reported that some members of the message board may have received spam emails. Just for the record, Slug-Lines.com does NOT release any emails or names to third parties. In addition, the only broadcast emails are to newsletter members who subscribe to the newsletter.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 7:10am
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

ACCEPT MY UNSOLICITED EMAILS OR LOSE SLUGGING FOREVER! IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!

*ahem*

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:29am
Apparently, the default setting is to allow emails from other forum members. At least, my profile says Yes and I do not recall making that choice, though it's very possible that I did and forgot about it. So, people should go into their profiles and make sure the box reads No. Unless they don't mind email, of course.
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:33am
I never thought that I would write in agreement with you.

I read your post and understand why you detest Robert's unsolicited e-mail asking for you to participate in an effort to save HOV. This is offensive, isn't it?

When he passes out his literature on a 31-degree sleeting morning at 0430, or at 7 PM in 97-degree heat, he meets everyone with the same, optimistic "Hello! I am Bob Lang and I have . . . " greeting. It is as if he doesn't know that we want good coffee in the morning and have homes to go to in the evenings.

He maintains a consistent message despite what others tell him. While he claims that Ms. Caddigan had the no parking signs put up on Interstate Drive, she says she didn't. He says he has the e-mail, she says that was her staff and not her. He gets threatened; she claims he is a kook. It is as if he knows the facts even as she runs for cover.

He is so in your face. He has written in the Washington Post, The Potomac News, The Manassas Journal, and the Free Lance-Star. And you can't get away from it. He even gets published in Philadelphia and Government Computer News. They contunue to publish his letters as if he is either well written, knowledgeable, or both. But we know he is none of this.

He has noted time and again that Single Occupancy Vehicle add to congestion and demands that the "Commonwealth" as he calls Virginia, end the HOV exceptions granted for certain SOVs. He refuses to grant a free pass, even to those who bought hybrids hoping to continue to drive solo on the HOV. He doesn't consider the large investment we made to get into an HOV-enabled SOV.

He is stupid, or oblivious, and ignores the threats made to him, his home, and his family. Why should he try to fight for others when they seem unable to fight for themselves? It does not make sense.

Do we agree? Should someone tell Robert Lang to stop or ban him from his activities?

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

*ahem*

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:46am
I appreciate RLD's tireless advocacy and I respect the lengths he goes to, but the fact remains that unsolicited email, even if helpful and/or well-meant, is still spam.
Undisclosed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 11:09am
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]I appreciate RLD's tireless advocacy and I respect the lengths he goes to, but the fact remains that unsolicited email, even if helpful and/or well-meant, is still spam.

*EXACTLY* But zealots never get it. They are blinded by the self-assessed importance of their cause.

As RobertLangDirect stated, he does not regret sending email to everyone's personal account, but only that people saw it as spam. In fact, he says that he "will feel shame only when we have to change this forum to Toll-lines.com"

There is no reasoning with logic like that.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 5:03pm
I got RLD's spam as well... now just because some people don't mind getting his emails, it doesn't make it NOT spam. It's still spam. Keep in mind that commercial spam is also accepted to by a small number of recipients, who actually read the emails and respond positively.

Maybe RLD can create a voluntary mailing list on his own website, and then publicize that website by posting a thread about it here?

That way, he can get people who are interested, and only those who voluntary signed up to receive his stuff.

I realize he means well, but sending unsolicited email to strangers is always spam.
SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:26pm
I was told that there was a site to register HOT comments but did not know where. Thank you Robert Lang for sending me the e-mail.

It would be very unladylike for me to say, "screw these other people," so I don't say that. But Robert, admit it, you'd love to chime in now, wouldn't you?

SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by defender
[br]I never thought that I would write in agreement with you.

I read your post and understand why you detest Robert's unsolicited e-mail asking for you to participate in an effort to save HOV. This is offensive, isn't it?

When he passes out his literature on a 31-degree sleeting morning at 0430, or at 7 PM in 97-degree heat, he meets everyone with the same, optimistic "Hello! I am Bob Lang and I have . . . " greeting. It is as if he doesn't know that we want good coffee in the morning and have homes to go to in the evenings.

He maintains a consistent message despite what others tell him. While he claims that Ms. Caddigan had the no parking signs put up on Interstate Drive, she says she didn't. He says he has the e-mail, she says that was her staff and not her. He gets threatened; she claims he is a kook. It is as if he knows the facts even as she runs for cover.

He is so in your face. He has written in the Washington Post, The Potomac News, The Manassas Journal, and the Free Lance-Star. And you can't get away from it. He even gets published in Philadelphia and Government Computer News. They contunue to publish his letters as if he is either well written, knowledgeable, or both. But we know he is none of this.

He has noted time and again that Single Occupancy Vehicle add to congestion and demands that the "Commonwealth" as he calls Virginia, end the HOV exceptions granted for certain SOVs. He refuses to grant a free pass, even to those who bought hybrids hoping to continue to drive solo on the HOV. He doesn't consider the large investment we made to get into an HOV-enabled SOV.

He is stupid, or oblivious, and ignores the threats made to him, his home, and his family. Why should he try to fight for others when they seem unable to fight for themselves? It does not make sense.

Do we agree? Should someone tell Robert Lang to stop or ban him from his activities?

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

*ahem*

Oh! Defender. That is tight. But the smaller minds won't get the finer point, now, will they?
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 10:16pm
DickBoyd pointed out via email that I have my "Email Poster" option enabled, so that's a good reminder for me to turn off that option.

Here was my response:

Thanks the for the tip. I will turn off that option.

Just because I accidentally (or maybe intentionally) left my front door unlocked, does not mean that I want unwelcome guests or even salesmen to enter my house. Maybe I forgot to lock the door, or maybe I left it open for the repair guy to let himself in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic