Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spam from RobertLangDirect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 9:07pm
I'm offended my the Nazi reference. Dick should be ashamed.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2005 at 3:18pm
Quick, someone call the ACLU. Someone was offended by content found on the world wide web.

shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 10:21am
ok, so it seems as if everyone likes RLD. I, myself, have no reason to hate him. He means well.

However, I won't take back my opinion that he does send out spam. That being said, it was my fault for leaving the "Email Poster" option on, when I signed up here. I have since turned off that option.

To address imaslug2's post about his/her assumption, I gotta say this. I love HOV, I am pro-HOV, I just think we should continue to use the message boards to get the word out.

I have participated in emails to our officials about HOV issues, but it was my emails to the officials, not to unsuspecting commuters. I got the list of email addresses from a local email list, consisting of people in the area where I work. Any slug/HOV related emails that I get from people in that list are ok, because I am voluntarily on that email list.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 10:25am
BTW, I don't understand those weird posts from dickboyd.
uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 1:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by Undisclosed
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]Being one who has had some difficultly on this board, I want to side with good ole Rob Lang. Please add me to your spam list uhura@trekky.com

When banned-but-still-here Uhura sides with you it is definitely time to reassess your behavior.

Wrong Uhura, intellitubby.
uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 1:54pm
quote:
[br]I had no idea that participating in this message board would open me to email spam. Unfortunately, it often appears that there is no moderator here to deal with this type of abuse.

Please consider this:

Spam is annoying; however, spam messages -by definition- are unwanted solicitations. Since Robert is sending info about stuff that affects slugs and drivers directly, shouldn't he be given some leeway here?

Besides all of that, there is an option to disable/enable email from the folks on this site...
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]BTW, I don't understand those weird posts from dickboyd.

Maybe I am wierd. [:D][8D][:D][:I][B)]

The point of comparing how many readers is to identify the audience. Of the 3,000 some members, there are only about 1,000 reads of any post. The controversial posts get the most reads. Controversial posts get the most responses. Lots of heat, very little light, in my opinion. More entertainment than action. Probably around 500 people read the "politcal posts" on a regular basis.

What is Virginia's populaton these days? Six million? What is the most effective way for 500 active slugs to influence six million people? By bickering among themselves? [:p]

That low read number tells me lurkers really aren't lurking. More likely, the 2,000 or so that don't read have a spam blocker set against slug-lines. com. If that is the case, that most subscribers don't read the posts, then this is not a very effective venue for getting political support for slugs or from slugs.

Judging by the activity identifying slug pick up and drop off points and the activity in trying to find a ride, the primary purpose of this site is ride matching. There also seems to be a fair amount of activity in lost and found even though that feature doesn't get much publicity.

I suspect that many of the 2,000 non-readers would have opted out of slug-lines.com or would have set their preferences differently had they investigated Snitz 2000 more closely.

Navy Yard's ride matching seems to be more active and more effective in identifying ride matches. Any other opinions? Any other successful matching sites?

I use Navy Yard only as a geographic identifier, not as an indication that an employer supports slugging. [:)]

Speaking of employers, Places that have successful slug lines have employers that support ride sharing. Preferred parking, ride matching bulletin boards for ride matching, METRO check, electronic bulletin boards, feature stories in the company paper and other employee incentives. What does your employer do to promote slugging? What do you do to promote slugging? What does your church do to promote slugging? What does your son's or your daughter's school do to promote slugging?

In my opinion, if slugs want support, look to the employers. Look to 3M, Oak Ridge, Texaco, the railroads, Chrysler or Pendlernetz as examples of employer supported ride sharing. Uncongested travel is truly an employee benefit. [:)]

Politically, in my opinion, Shirley Highway regular lanes are truly interstate and as such should be federally funded. The reversible lanes are commuter lanes and as such should be financed locally. Local commuter traffic makes the regular lanes unusable for interstate commerce about 6 hours a day. Local governments should ramp meter, promote ride sharing and charge congestion fees on the regular lanes instead of building more lanes and expect to get a different reaction from commuters.

I also think there are about a hundred or so lurkers from VRE, METRO and various government agencies on this site. There may even be a politcal lurker or two.

Occasionally, lurkers disrupt the focus by introducing some extraneous factor. Such as picking on Uhura. [;)]

Stay focused on getting passengers and drivers for slug lines. Get enough passengers and congestion problems are solved. Put someone in charge of getting passengers. Stop poaching slugs.

If this is to be a political discussion, learn some of the technical factors of transportation. D factor, k factors and how to use them in planning, for instance. Learn the EIS process. Learn what MPOs are supposed to do and why they don't do it.

dickboyd@aol.com
sstran View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sstran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 3:10pm
quote:
[br]I had no idea that participating in this message board would open me to email spam. Unfortunately, it often appears that there is no moderator here to deal with this type of abuse.

You are truly an idiot, and probably the same person I hear complaining about the Hybrids and the HOV lanes being clogged with traffic. Instead of complaining about getting an email that is trying to help us sluggers ( you're one, or you wouldn't be on this site) why not spend your energy and write VDOT regarding your opposition to HOT. And, if you don't like getting email that will makes an attempt to help you, then get off this meesage board! Better still, why not ride in the regular lanes and sit in traffic for three hours every morning. Then you wouldn't have to worry about any sluggers sending you spam! Duh!
uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 3:36pm
Dick, tangent: What can you tell me about slugging from the Navy Yard?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic