Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM HOV Sucks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 10:51am
mroyal,
Yes. I remember my first ride going south across the Occoquan in the HOV lanes was when they opened on Dec. 29, 1995, in an omniride bus that had a hole in the floor through which I could see the actual hov pavement. My memory isn't so good, but my journal is. Respectfully submitted.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 11:01am
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]I wish people would stop referring to Northern Virginia's HOV lanes as a nation-wide model. It was, briefly, 5 years ago. I remember in 2002, I could get from 123 to the Pentagon in 15 minutes. Blame hybrids, virtually unregulated housing development, unconcerned politicians, insufficient enforcement. HOV is finished.

HOV will have a long future if we do the following:

End SOV hybrids
Eventually go to HOV 4 (at what point?)
Consider HOV 4 from 6 to 7am only, then HOV 3 after that (just a thought)
Possibly adjust HOV start to 5:30am (but big impact on SOVs)
Promote bus usage through ads, lower fares, and metro discounts
Expand bus service to places such as Rosslyn

The shift to HOV 4 would be major and would mostly benefit slugs or encourage people to slug instead of drive. It would be a major change but we did do it 15 years ago. I know VDOT is thinking about it because a VDOT official mentioned it at a BOS meeting a few months ago.

anothercommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anothercommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 11:27am
I hear everyone talking about HOV and how it's just getting awful and the different ideas on how to improve HOV. I agree with all your comments, IT'S JUST GETTING WORSE.

BUT......

What if the majority of jobs were moved out of NOVA and DC to more of the suburbs? I have not heard anyone bringing that idea up, of course, moving an entire company is a hell of alot more difficult than the ideas that everyone has listed.

Has anyone ever noticed(I'm sure you have) how much less traffic there is when it is a Federal holiday(lets use Veterans Day since most private industry does not observe that day).

If the Federal Government would move outward instead of being mostly consolidated in this area I believe the traffic would vastly improve.

Just a thought from another commuter who is also frustrated with the traffic.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 1:09pm
Then traffic would go north and south, then commuters would complain that HOV only goes north in the AM, then eventually the cost of living and population in the suburbs would go up. I like my govt job in DC, thank you!!

I agree with Bob 100%%%!! DOWN WITH SOV!!!

Tri2- enjoy it while you can, but remember us when it is cold and rainy!!

:'}
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 2:29pm
It's not the hybrids that cause the backups. How many of those fender benders were hybrids? Um, ZERO!!! The regular lanes have also gotten slower - is that because of the hybrids in the HOV lanes? NOT!

The problem remains the overall growth in the population caused by the increase in jobs in the DC area.

Keep looking to your right during your commute... Until THAT problem is solved, hybrids in HOV makes the most sense for traffic balance. Next best is tolls to let market forces balance the congestion.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 1:26pm
I don't understand why some people want HOT 24/7 when we have already paid for it??!!!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 1:31pm
We need more people from regular lanes convert to the slugging system and ending the hybrid exemption to balance the congestion.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]It's not the hybrids that cause the backups. How many of those fender benders were hybrids? Um, ZERO!!! The regular lanes have also gotten slower - is that because of the hybrids in the HOV lanes? NOT!

The problem remains the overall growth in the population caused by the increase in jobs in the DC area.

Keep looking to your right during your commute... Until THAT problem is solved, hybrids in HOV makes the most sense for traffic balance. Next best is tolls to let market forces balance the congestion.

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 1:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I don't understand why some people want HOT 24/7 when we have already paid for it??!!!

Rather than give the entire Letterman top ten all at once, one reason at a time.
1.HOT 24/7 to collect enough money to pay VRE to carry passengers. No more taxes on property to subsidize VRE. HOV will not be needed. Passengers will ride VRE.

dickboyd@aol.com
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 2:14pm
Obviously DickBoyd has never actually ridden on VRE, suffered the drive to the Rippon station, been asked to pay to park in their lots (which are now subsidized and free) or done a study that compares the number of days VRE is 100% shut down (monthly) vs. the number of times HOV is 100% shut down (annually?)

No. My wife and I tried VRE: we can afford it easily, but it is not reliable, only reaches the eastern half of the city, takes too long, is inconveniently located at the far eastern edge of the county, and is less comfortable than the seats on Omniride buses.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 2:40pm
VRE takes me a half hour longer (each way) and costs $200 more per month.

Why would I want to do that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic