FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSluggers buy a clue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jamest001 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamest001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:56am
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][?] Anyone know for sure what the rationale is for allowing motorcycles an HOV exemption? [?]
[B)] If it is to provide the mo'bikes a less-congested, safer environment over the regular lanes, does that rationale apply anymore with the increase congestion on HOV? [B)]

Just wonderin'.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 10:28am
quote:

Obviously, the "against the rules" is a lame arguement or you would have seen a lawsuit in the federal courts - and we haven't.

First you need someone willing to sue first. Who would spend the money? If the party that sued won the suit the result would be the Feds taking back highway funding for the years that VA was violating the funding rules. Who really wants to be responsible for that? Can you imagine the backlash? The only people that might want to prevent money for roads getting to the state would be environmental groups. But are they really going to sue to get the so-called "green" cars special perks removed?
If if VA was serious about the clean air act, they wouldn't be giving a Tier 2 bin 9 vehicle clean fuel plates. It is absolutely ridiculous and they won't fix it know because it would be acknowledging that they made a big mistake.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2005 at 12:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by Iride
[br]The HOV lanes were created to help with the areas clean air act. DC, VA and MD's highway funds are tied into the air quality, that is why code red air days are such a big deal. The act only allows for a small number of Code Red air days. Go over it and there are cuts or fines in the states highway funds. The exemption for hybrid cars was to encurage people to buy them and get a consumer base. VA does this but it goes against the rules of the HOV lanes as agreed on by the Fed's, DC and MD. HOV3 is because 395 corridor was determined to ne a certain percentage of cars removed from that corridor. HOV2 on RT66 for the same reason. They counted cars and crunched some numbers.

The shear popularity of the hybrid cars with single drivers HAS increased congestion. The HOV lanes may fail due to its' own popularity

The HOV lanes were created for several reasons. Orginally, HOV was not even one of the considerations - it was about limited access to assist with traffic flow. After all, if it was just for HOV, then every off/on ramp would have an HOV entry/exit point. Also, it used to be for busses only.

Obviously, the "against the rules" is a lame arguement or you would have seen a lawsuit in the federal courts - and we haven't.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2005 at 1:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by Iride
[br]The HOV lanes were created to help with the areas clean air act.

They were built before the Clean Air Act.
Iride View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2005 at 12:05pm
The HOV lanes were created to help with the areas clean air act. DC, VA and MD's highway funds are tied into the air quality, that is why code red air days are such a big deal. The act only allows for a small number of Code Red air days. Go over it and there are cuts or fines in the states highway funds. The exemption for hybrid cars was to encurage people to buy them and get a consumer base. VA does this but it goes against the rules of the HOV lanes as agreed on by the Fed's, DC and MD. HOV3 is because 395 corridor was determined to ne a certain percentage of cars removed from that corridor. HOV2 on RT66 for the same reason. They counted cars and crunched some numbers.

As to motorcycles, they pollute less than a full size car and the number of bikes to cars is so low, and frankly they some one lobby in their behalf to allow them. As far as parking, I commute to the parking lot on a motorcycle, I have requested that there be motorcycle designated parking in the lots but nothing has been done. So I am forced to take a full parking spot or risk a parking ticket.

I have been slugging for over eight years and think it is a great alternative to driving (or commuting on the bike for that matter). The shear popularity of the hybrid cars with single drivers HAS increased congestion. The HOV lanes may fail due to its' own popularity
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 8:43am
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br] Funny how people want everyone else's exemptions ended, but are very defensive when it's their own exemption.

We could always go back to pre 1973 and allow the reversible lanes to be busses only. That way the "new" HOV exemption would be eliminated along with the "newer" hybrid exemption.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 7:48am
nope. It can be a law that only drivers age count as slugs. Let someone sue. They'd lose. It's not big deal. Kids are discriminated against in MANY ways - you can't drive til you're 16, vote til you're 18, drink til you're 21. You pay more insurance if you're a young driver. Etc etc etc. .....so this is different how?

Again, if you're going to MAXIMIZE HOV - get drivers off the road, you need to eliminate the excpetions for not only hybrids, but motorcyles, and children.

You'd be surprised how easy the commute would be then. Funny how people want everyone else's exemptions ended, but are very defensive when it's their own exemption.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 12:10pm
Soooo Groc, in your world three adult dwarfs (sorry, little people) may get pulled over? I smell a discrimination lawsuit. What about my teenager/restricted DL occupant, in your world does he count? Why split the hair so thin? HOV-3 counts only the human occupants and makes no other distinction. This is fair and just and the only resonable way to create this law. All cars and trucks should be held to this law. Motorcycles impact the situation diferently: only two wheels = less wear on the roads, smaller engines = less pollution and higher gas milage, fewer on the road = less contribution to congestion. OK, for argument sake: if no hybrid exemption, no motorcycle exemption. But you need to keep your nose out of my back seat. Generally speaking, I would rather abide by the HOV law and avoid participating in Groc's little demographic survey. And unless you work for VDOT or the VA Highway Patrol you should not tell me or anyone else how I am permitted to use HOV. I suspect Groc's world is not a very nice place for anyone who does not look and act like Groc.

LIVE AND LET HOV-3 LIVE!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:03pm
My Harley riding former car-pool driver says: "Loud pipes save lives."

Considering our current driver almost squished a biker the other day because she was in our blindspot, there is some truth to that saying.

I really like MRoyal's little "HOV because you care" slogan. Nice.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 11:18am
Agree with mroyal here. Not too many bikers double up in parking spaces. Many times they just park illegally in the no parking zones in parking lots.

Another area that's not been mentioned is those who ride Harleys. While I can appreciate the throaty roar of a bike, maybe while cruising through the peaceful serenity of the countryside, I really don't think they're much of a commuting vehicle in a densely populated area like NoVa. No one has mentioned "noise pollution", but these bikes definitely contribute to increased levels there.

And if you say the stupid quote "If it's too loud, you're too old", you may be right. It's just one man's take on things.

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic