Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSluggers buy a clue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 2:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][?] Anyone know for sure what the rationale is for allowing motorcycles an HOV exemption? [?]
[B)] If it is to provide the mo'bikes a less-congested, safer environment over the regular lanes, does that rationale apply anymore with the increase congestion on HOV? [B)]

Just wonderin'.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

No, I don't think the intent was to provide a safer biking environment for the bikers. I think it had more to do with fuel efficiency. I am certainly not as knowledgeable as others on here, but I think that the original intent of the HOV lanes was more geared towards cleaner air (get more people to ride share, use more efficient means of travel). I've read that there is some sort of correlation between federal funding for transportation and air quality. Therefore, the cleaner the air, the more money was received to improve the roads. Since motorcycles burn less fuel, their use helped keep the air cleaner (in comparison to that same driver going to work alone in a car/truck).

Of course, I'm sure there are several inaccuracies in my post, but that's the general idea as far as I understand it.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 2:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]or infants and children counting as "slugs" - which removes no drivers from the road.

Oh please!!! All that matters are that there are 3 people in the car. You can't start adding a classification to say that they have to be commuters. How would you expect that to be enforced.....seriously?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 3:29pm
Warning, KC: you are about to enter the Twit-light Zone (yes, Twit-light,) where qorc lives. He likes saying silly things, we think because it amuses him to watch grown-ups get angry.

If you simply make allowances for his inability to count past #1 or see beyond the end of his nose, he becomes, in an odd way, faintly amusing.

Still, he can get tiresome, too. Then he's best ignored.

(Lord, I don't know what I'd do without him. I love the guy! [:D][:D][:D])
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:20am
whenever Sponge has no facts or an inability to argue a point intelligently, he reverts to name-calling.

once again, I rest my case. No one, certainly not this fool, can give me a reason why one exemption is ok and another is not.

I rest my case. Game, set, match.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:21am
No, I don't think the intent was to provide a safer biking environment for the bikers. I think it had more to do with fuel efficiency. I am certainly not as knowledgeable as others on here, but I think that the original intent of the HOV lanes was more geared towards cleaner air
-------------

Precisely. I get 51 mpg on my run to work and back in my hybrid - high fuel efficiency.

Thank you for making my point.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:24am

Oh please!!! All that matters are that there are 3 people in the car. You can't start adding a classification to say that they have to be commuters. How would you expect that to be enforced.....seriously?
-----------

many things are difficult to enforce, but are laws neverthless - like seatbelts.

How does it get enforced? When a cop can't even see the head of someone in the back seat, they will be stopped. He can easily identify children, I would think. And the person would be ticketed.

It's no more difficult than trying to enforce HOV requirements for SUVs with tinted windows - problematic, but not impossible. Should we not have HOV because we can't see into some cars? get real.

It's no different here. I'm just saying that HOV's goal of reducing DRIVERS on the road should apply across the board. my apologies to parents, but HOV was not set up to make your run to day-care easier.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:24am
quote:
[br]No, I don't think the intent was to provide a safer biking environment for the bikers. I think it had more to do with fuel efficiency. I am certainly not as knowledgeable as others on here, but I think that the original intent of the HOV lanes was more geared towards cleaner air
-------------

Precisely. I get 51 mpg on my run to work and back in my hybrid - high fuel efficiency.

Thank you for making my point.

You are very welcome. [8D]

Note that my post said that this was the ORIGINAL intent. I am guessing that now the the area is getting more heavily populated and more cars are on the road, I am guessing that the focus now is shifting to getting more cars off the road as well. This is probably why your hybrid exemption will be expiring shortly.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:31am
quote:
[br]
-----------

many things are difficult to enforce, but are laws neverthless - like seatbelts.

How does it get enforced? When a cop can't even see the head of someone in the back seat, they will be stopped. He can easily identify children, I would think. And the person would be ticketed.

It's no more difficult than trying to enforce HOV requirements for SUVs with tinted windows - problematic, but not impossible. Should we not have HOV because we can't see into some cars? get real.

It's no different here. I'm just saying that HOV's goal of reducing DRIVERS on the road should apply across the board. my apologies to parents, but HOV was not set up to make your run to day-care easier.

Ok, answer me this then.... Let's say you have a mother and her two kids in the HOV. The mother is on her way to work and she is dropping her kids off at day-care which is semi-close to work. If she isn't driving her kids to daycare, someone else would have to. Therefore, she is still reducing drivers by transporting them to daycare herself.

Alternatively, let's say that the situation above is not even allowed, what would you expect the mother to do?? Drive in the regular laves even though she has 3 people in the car? Would you prefer for her to pick-up 2 slugs and cram them in the back seat with the kids?

You just aren't being realistic. Use your brain and think it through.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:43am
Qorc isn't about using brains. This is what Qorc is depending on to keep "hybrids" on HOV.

Here's a quote from the Los Angeles Metro site regarding motorcycles on HOV. They say it's federal law.

Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even though they typically carry only one passenger. The explanation for the federal law is that allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes keeps them moving, and it is considered safer to keep two-wheel vehicles moving than it is to have them traveling in start-and-stop traffic conditions. The individual states can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that there is an inherent safety risk by allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes. In the State of California, motorcycles are permitted to use HOV facilities unless a traffic control device specifically prohibits them.

shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 9:40am
why are kids not allowed? what if an under-18 kid is working in the city?

what if a parent is taking their baby to day care in DC?

why are non-drivers not allowed? what if someone is taking their disabled parent/relative to DC?

what if someone is taking their coworker/friend to DC, who is temporarily unable to drive because of a broken foot?

I say, any seat occupier is a valid person for HOV, even if that person is a 2 year old in a baby seat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic