Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSluggers buy a clue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 10:28am
quote:

Obviously, the "against the rules" is a lame arguement or you would have seen a lawsuit in the federal courts - and we haven't.

First you need someone willing to sue first. Who would spend the money? If the party that sued won the suit the result would be the Feds taking back highway funding for the years that VA was violating the funding rules. Who really wants to be responsible for that? Can you imagine the backlash? The only people that might want to prevent money for roads getting to the state would be environmental groups. But are they really going to sue to get the so-called "green" cars special perks removed?
If if VA was serious about the clean air act, they wouldn't be giving a Tier 2 bin 9 vehicle clean fuel plates. It is absolutely ridiculous and they won't fix it know because it would be acknowledging that they made a big mistake.
jamest001 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamest001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:56am
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][?] Anyone know for sure what the rationale is for allowing motorcycles an HOV exemption? [?]
[B)] If it is to provide the mo'bikes a less-congested, safer environment over the regular lanes, does that rationale apply anymore with the increase congestion on HOV? [B)]

Just wonderin'.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

jamest001 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamest001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:04am
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][?] Anyone know for sure what the rationale is for allowing motorcycles an HOV exemption? [?]
[B)] If it is to provide the mo'bikes a less-congested, safer environment over the regular lanes, does that rationale apply anymore with the increase congestion on HOV? [B)]

Just wonderin'.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

The rationale for allowing motorcycles in the HOV lanes is fuel efficiency, low emmissions, reduced parking congestion in the metropolitan areas served by the HOV lanes, and less wear & tear on the roadways.

I commute by slugging, picking up slugs, VRE, PRTC, and motorcycle. I only ride the motorcycle one or two days a week at most. It is a convenient alternative, but I would gladly give it up in trade for pure HOV3 (no SOVs, law enforcement, etc. at all).
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:44pm
James - Seems like most of the reasons for motorcycle exemption apply to hybrid exemption.
jamest001 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamest001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 4:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]James - Seems like most of the reasons for motorcycle exemption apply to hybrid exemption.

No, not most, but half of what I mentioned. They are fuel efficient and low emission. However, after they have gotten one commuter to work, they still take up a whole parking space (where six+ motorcycles could park) and they weigh as much as other small cars - so there's the same wear on the roadways.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 6:44pm
James, let's compare.

My Pickup - 6600 lbs, 22 feet long, 7.5 feet wide, 19 MPG.
My Bike - 785 lbs, 8 feet long, 2.5 feet wide, 60 MPG.

I'd say my bike has a smaller footprint, and is more efficient (even if you consider the effective MPG of my truck with 3 people in it).

Also, at least on military bases, (Pentagon included), it is illegal to park a motorcycle in a single parking space when motorcycle parking is available. Even though north parking is more convenient for me, I technically have to park the bike on the south side, in the designated motorcycle parking.

Safety may have been a factor as well in granting the exemption. Possibly the fact that most bikes were air-cooled at the time the exemption was granted may have played into the equation.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 11:36am
Looking at the big picture, all possible options to move trafic, reduce congestion (on the road and parking) and cut emmisions should be welcomed. I take the train, bike and bus but usually slug 3-4 days per week. Having used every option that I'm aware of, slugging is by far the most efficient. There are times, however, that I must move to and from work outside of the HOV times (another issue). It's those times that the other mentioned options as well as my motorcycle and hybrid are a life saver.

As humans, I think we need incentives to introduce and grow improvements (i.e. hybrids and motorcycles and HOV lanes themselves). Without the incentives, who would really pay that much more for a car - who would bother to stop and pick up strangers?

Bikes do use much less fuel (50mpg+), put out less emmisions and take much less parking space. Hybrids do use less fuel (30mpg and 38mpg in stop and go, yes, I keep track - for a family SUV, that's great) and this is just the beginning of what we can achieve, but only if there are buying dollars to push it. Incentives. Improvement.

Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 11:38am
Looking at the big picture, all possible options to move trafic, reduce congestion (on the road and parking) and cut emmisions should be welcomed. I take the train, bike and bus but usually slug 3-4 days per week. Having used every option that I'm aware of, slugging is by far the most efficient. There are times, however, that I must move to and from work outside of the HOV times (another issue). It's those times that the other mentioned options as well as my motorcycle and hybrid are a life saver.

As humans, I think we need incentives to introduce and grow improvements (i.e. hybrids and motorcycles and HOV lanes themselves). Without the incentives, who would really pay that much more for a car - who would bother to stop and pick up strangers?

Bikes do use much less fuel (50mpg+), put out less emmisions and take much less parking space. Hybrids do use less fuel (30mpg and 38mpg in stop and go, yes, I keep track - for a family SUV, that's great) and this is just the beginning of what we can achieve, but only if there are buying dollars to push it. Incentives. Improvement.

Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 11:41am

Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 11:54am
Sorry for the 3 postings (if anybody actually reads this).

It kept telling me it did't work.

Oh well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic