Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSluggers buy a clue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beckie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 4:07pm
I'm not against Hybrid drivers if they use the car to carpool with three in the car. What I don't like to see is when a Hybrid driver drives alone. When I slug I count the number of Hybrids in the HOV lane and one morning (like most) I counted 15 single Hybrid drivers in a 45 minute commute to the Pentagon. In a situation like this - if these drivers would have sluged with each other or others so there was three in a car that would have elimitated 10 cars off of the road. And by elimitating cars from the HOV lanes the HOV lane moves faster. As they did before Hybrids.
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 7:43pm
Hi Beckie,
What suggestions do you have for pushing higher efficiency/lower emission vehicles? Which hybrid or electric or fuel cell vehicle do you have or plan to buy?
Beckie5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beckie5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 8:43am
I don't think filling up the HOV lane with Hybrids is the answer. I will not buy a Hybrid, I perfer to pick-up slugs and slug myself. For every person who slugs they actually help the environment better by not driving at all.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 3:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie5
[br]I don't think filling up the HOV lane with Hybrids is the answer. I will not buy a Hybrid, I perfer to pick-up slugs and slug myself. For every person who slugs they actually help the environment better by not driving at all.

Wouldn't it make more sense to BOTH buy a hybrid and pick up slugs? And don't slugs drive to/from commuter lots and perhaps (gasp!) at times other then when commuting?

Seems to me that the environment and world would be better if we rid ourselves of ALL non-hybrid vehicles. Are you doing your part, Beckie5?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 4:37pm
NoSUV,
Go pick up some slugs, then come back and suggest we buy hybrids.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 7:19am
Hybrids...a mediocre technology when the true fuel alternatives are stacked up next to it.

Sure, go ahead and support the oil/auto alliance by paying premium prices for a hybrid instead of being economically responsible and considering a true alternative fuel vehicle as a replacement when the time comes. Makes all the sense in the world....depends on what alternate reality your world exists in...

Some folks won't ever "get it". More people per car equals less cars on the roads. Less cars on the roads equals less congestion. SOVs reduce/remove the incentive to carpool thus result in more cars ergo more congestion.

Life is lived by the choices we make. Make a choice to do for others today instead of doing for yourself only (then watch what happens!).

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:42am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Hybrids...a mediocre technology when the true fuel alternatives are stacked up next to it.

Sure, go ahead and support the oil/auto alliance by paying premium prices for a hybrid instead of being economically responsible and considering a true alternative fuel vehicle as a replacement when the time comes. Makes all the sense in the world....depends on what alternate reality your world exists in...

Some folks won't ever "get it". More people per car equals less cars on the roads. Less cars on the roads equals less congestion. SOVs reduce/remove the incentive to carpool thus result in more cars ergo more congestion.

Life is lived by the choices we make. Make a choice to do for others today instead of doing for yourself only (then watch what happens!).

NoSb

NoSB: So, I gather that your choice is to DO NOTHING but spout off - good thing that others are DOING SOMETHING other than waiting. Buy a hybrid and use it, not just for the commute, but to/from commuter lots, running errands, and for all of those miles you drive in your non-environmentally friendly car. Quit waiting - DO!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 10:56am
You're right again NoSUV...I should junk my car so it can go into some landfill somewhere and be more environmentally friendly. Then I should pay too much because I'm a lemming and buy whatever the marketing folks tell me I should buy.

Spout? Engaging with the politicos is nothing. Promoting REAL alternative fuels in reasonably priced vehicles is doing nothing. Telling the truth about the gullibility of those who would buy an overpriced technology for selfish reasons is spouting off. Think I'll do "nothing" as I've been doing. Then I too can appear selfish since being fiscally responsible is probably equated to selfishness by SOV hybrid drivers.

NoSb

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 4:00pm
Just wait a few years until those batteries in NoSUV's hybrid die and go to a landfill. Now THERE'S environmental responsibility! NOT!

Do nothing? I slug! I have reduced my weekly commuter mileage from about 250 to about 75. And there is one less vehicle on the road! When I drive I pick up slugs and take two vehicles off the road. Now that's activism!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 10:21am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Just wait a few years until those batteries in NoSUV's hybrid die and go to a landfill. Now THERE'S environmental responsibility! NOT!

Do nothing? I slug! I have reduced my weekly commuter mileage from about 250 to about 75. And there is one less vehicle on the road! When I drive I pick up slugs and take two vehicles off the road. Now that's activism!

Ah, but what about all of those non-commuting miles? How many of those fall into the category of environmental responsibility? NONE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic