Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking more than the required slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 8:37am
My perspective is that of a driver who has pulled up to a line with 4 people waiting only to see the driver ahead of me take 3 of those people. This is very disrepectful to me and the 4th slug, since both of us must now wait for another slug to come along. If the first driver had just picked up the 2 slugs he/she needed, then I could take the other 2 and we could all be on our way. If rush hour is almost over, or if the weather is really bad, I'll take a third person, but I usually try to respect the drivers that will be coming along after me.
Terry View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 8:38am
My perspective is that of a driver who has pulled up to a line with 4 people waiting only to see the driver ahead of me take 3 of those people. This is very disrepectful to me and the 4th slug, since both of us must now wait for another slug to come along. If the first driver had just picked up the 2 slugs he/she needed, then I could take the other 2 and we could all be on our way. If rush hour is almost over, or if the weather is really bad, I'll take a third person, but I usually try to respect the drivers that will be coming along after me.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 9:49am
I agree with curtisdt on this one. I will more than gladly, on most occasions, take a third passenger. But every once in a while, I cannot because I have my own things in the back seat. If I say no, don't bore holes into the back of my head or make nasty comments about pompous SUV drivers (oh, yes, I am sometimes a passenger as well, I know what gets said about folks who say no). Just deal with it and wait for the next ride. I don't cry about it when I hit a lull and have to wait for passengers.

One last thing...

If a passenger is the first to arrive at my vehicle and announces back to the line (without asking me) that I can "take a third", I will take the 2nd two passengers and Ms./Mr. Presumptuous will return to the back of the line. I have done it before. That is my biggest pet peeve is that folks decide for me how many I can take. If I have things in the back, you just invited a third passenger to 45 minutes of discomfort as they have to sit around my stuff. Wrong. Don't do it, it's rude.

Ern View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 12:19pm
Mirangus: As mostly a rider, I also detest riders announcing that the driver will take a third without asking him or her. I have seen it though not often. Please know that the majority of riders would never be so rude and when it does happen, many of us are cringing while it is happening. I just always feel sorry for the poor person who is being told that a third will be taken, only to be turned away once he has opened the door and must go back to the line - and it is all because of the inconsiderate person who takes it upon him/herself to say a third is OK. Anyway, I think no matter what, we will always have to deal with a few people who just will never master common courtesy. Riders appreciate drivers and the vast majority of us would never intend such rudeness.
my3kids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my3kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 1:16pm
To those of you who feel like it's so rude to ask a person to take 3 people, If you don't ask, you'll never know. If I find that there are hardly any drivers and the line is long or I'm with my spouse, yes we will ask the driver if they'll take 3. If he or she says no, no big deal we'll let the person in back of us go ahead. If we happen to be driving that day, we'll even take 3. But I hope that you guys that object to this so called rude behavior happen to be that 3rd person standing in line when it's really cold and snowing outside and there are hardly any drivers that day. I bet you won't think it so rude then. As long as you're getting your free ride, mind your own business and get a life!!!!!!!

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 2:02pm
Another practice that I have seen lately (unfortunately) is what I like to call the "self invite"...I've seen a driver call out their destination, and then for some reason, while one person closest to the front jumps in, someone towards the back steps out to go while someone closer to the front was gathering their things or what-not and finally steps out, making three passengers total...instead of the person furthest back going back to their spot in the line after seeing that someone further up the line is taking the ride, they keep going and just hop on in...the only one more perplexed than myself is the driver, who seems too bewildered/dumbfounded to say anything.

In a related story, I've also seen some riders take the attitude of "I got out of line first" in an attempt to circumvent the whole "first come, first serve" system that we have...this involves someone further down the line going for a car while someone closer to the front of the line gathering their things that they may have set on the ground while they wait...then when it is realized that the offender went out of turn, they simply have a "you snooze you lose" look on their face and continue getting into the car. The air of self-importance that some people exhibit is simply astounding.

K.O.

Edited by - kortegel on 28 Aug 2002 14:03:03
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 3:51pm
my3kids, I don't think anyone has said that simply asking a driver to take a 3rd rider is rude. The examples that you are all good reasons to ask a driver to take a third. I did say, however, that it's annoying when a rider asks a driver to take a third in situations where there are many cars waiting and just a few riders. In fact, I have witnessed on a few occasions where the driver, after assessing the situation, will say no to a third because they perceive it to be rude to the other waiting drivers. But ultimately, it is up to the drivers how many riders they take, regardless of the situation.

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 4:12pm
kortegel, I have seen and am amazed by this too. I, personally, have been vocally criticized on one occasion for being too slow to react while in line. It was completely uncalled for. All I did was bend down to pick up my belongings and there was someone from the back of the line walking up quickly and I had to say, "Excuse me, but I was ahead of you". This did not sit too well with him so he voiced his displeasure. I guess he was just having a bad day.

I have witnessed on occasion where a rider, out of kindness and/or fear of confrontation, will sacrifice a ride when something like this happens. I think it's important for those who have had this happen to take a stand and say that they were next in line. I don't mean start a fight or anything, but a message to those with that "air of self-importance" might be helpful.

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 11:01am
my3kids: Never was it my intention to label those who ask politely if a third passenger is OK as "rude." I fully agree that the only way to know for sure to ask. The worst you can hear is no. If you don't ask, the answer will always be no:) If you read my post, you'll notice that I am also a passenger at times and am quite familiar with the woes of "ridership". The only issue I was trying to bring to light was those riders who take it upon themselves to deliniate the number of passengers in my vehicle. Now that's what I call rude...and pretty nervy to boot!! I've got some guts, but I don't think even I could do that!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic