Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking more than the required slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freakytdp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking more than the required slugs
    Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 10:27am
Is it ok for someone to ask the driver if they will take more than the required limit of slugs for HOV? If so, who should be the one to ask? Reasoning behind this...some drivers will come up to the line and say only 1 or 2 - to me this means that is all they want, it is their option. But I have come across some rude people in the line (and not necessarily the next person in line) shouting out to the driver if they will take a third. Then if the driver doesn't take a third, they stand in line complaining and annoying everyone else in the line. Where does the limit stop? In my opinion, this is deterring drivers to picking people up...remember...this is a free ride!
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 10:36am
I drive all the time now, having been a slug before. I do not ever have a problem if a third slug asks to be included. I usually shout out where I am going and two automatically join in. Sometimes, however I can only take two if I have something that is blocking the seat behind mine. If I pull up and notice that there are a lot of people in line I always let them know if there is room for three. Just makes sense, nobody should have to stand out in the heat or cold longer than they have to.

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 10:41am
At Route 17 that question is asked all the time either because the line is long or some destinations are rare. If the driver says no, people are civil about it. I think that 99% of us understand that even those who could take more but choose not to have that choice.

K.O.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 10:51am
I'm w/tdar20 -- I'll watch the line as I pull up and if it looks like there are a lot of slugs (typically Pot. Mills) that aren't getting picked up I'll add a third. Also if the weather is turning bad or it is exceptionally hot/cold, I'll add a third as well

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 2:38pm
It is completely up to the driver. I'm usually a rider who arrives at the slug line late (8:00 to 8:20). Some days there are extra cars, while on others there are extra riders. Usually the drivers are nice and will take an extra rider. Sometimes the drivers will ask for an extra slug without even being asked. But unfortunately, as freakyrdp pointed out, there are rude people in line who expect it.

What annoys me is when there are a lot of cars, only a few slugs, and there is a slug in line asking cars if they can take a third.
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 3:27pm
quote:

It is completely up to the driver. I'm usually a rider who arrives at the slug line late (8:00 to 8:20). Some days there are extra cars, while on others there are extra riders. Usually the drivers are nice and will take an extra rider. Sometimes the drivers will ask for an extra slug without even being asked. But unfortunately, as freakyrdp pointed out, there are rude people in line who expect it.

What annoys me is when there are a lot of cars, only a few slugs, and there is a slug in line asking cars if they can take a third.

I agree...I'm solely a rider and I'm perplexed as to why some riders ask a driver to take a third when there is a whole line of other cars waiting to pick up slugs. I've never understood it.

K.O.

Edited by - kortegel on 05 Aug 2002 15:28:04
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 10:14am
The only place I've seen this in action is at the combined Horner Rd/Potomac Mills pickup @ the Pentagon. All too often there is a long line of slugs for P.M., and a line of cars for Horner, such that when someone for P.M. comes by, occasionally they'll ask. I'll watch the dynamics of the line as I enter the afternoon conga line, and if it looks like this is the case, I'll offer to take a 3rd P.M. rider. I still don't understand why folks will wait 10-15 minutes for a Horner Rd rider when the "delay" in taking someone to P.M. is usually less than that. Maybe it has been mitagted somewhat by the Horner Rd addition...
- Will

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 12:28pm
wdossel, You are soo right. I actually timed a driver at Rosslyn who waited 15 MINUTES! for a Horner Rd Ride when there were at least 6 people in line waiting to go to PM. It would have taken at the most 5 to 6 minutes to deviate from Horner to PM. But it's their choice I guess.

curtisdt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2002 at 3:31pm
It's OK to ask, but don't be upset when I say, "no."

Don
lordscarlet View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2002 at 9:52am
For RT 3 this is standard practice. I'm quite certain that not all riders would have a driver if that were not the case. There are even minivans that will pick up 5 people on occassion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic