Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Lines for Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Lines for Horner Road
    Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 5:59am
Dear Slugs,
It's time to split the Horner Road line into TWO separate lines. The popularity of Horner is causing problems so, we need to split this line. Effective 6 Aug (Monday) let's join to:

Create a new slugline at the new bus stop for all sluggers going downtown - 14th Street, 18th Street, Navy Yard, etc.
The "old" bus stop will be used for Pentagon, Rosslyn and Crystal City traffic.

Please Read message board comments in two other locations:
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=201
and at
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=192

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 12:33pm
Admin,

I went to Horner this morning and there is still little progress. I suppose it always takes people a while to make a change. I'm willing to handout flyers, but I'm not sure if the time I arrive at Horner will help the downtowners. I'm ususally there around 6:30am when 90 percent of the line consists of Pentagoners.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 6:35am
Thanks for the feedback. I believe you are correct in that we need to hand out flyers. Perhaps trying to get the two lines concept off the ground by 6 Aug was too aggressive and not everyone got the word.

If the second line does not take effect soon, we may wait until the last week of Aug or the first week of Sept to try this again. This will allow time to circulate a flyer announcing the move and to sent out a notice via email (newsletter).

Thanks again for the feedback and let me know if there are any other changes!

ncrader View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2002 at 8:42am
I am new in the area. I just now looked at the websites for slugging. I am picking up at Horner Road. Can someone please post a map of the area with the revised parking/bus stop configuration, so I can make sense of where this proposal is talking about.

Thanks
-Chris
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2002 at 5:38pm
Hey Chris,
Welcome to slugging! There has been a lot of interest in creating a new line at Horner but now it appears as though it will be in the Sep timeframe instead of the original 6 Aug date. For the time being, the original map is still accurate.

You can find the map for Horner at: http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/Horner_rd.asp

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2002 at 10:34am
If you're accepting suggestions, I would propose that the Pentagon destination be a separate line, like it is at Potomac Mills. I can't really say where the line should start because I've just started using Horner Rd. I suppose there is more room at Potomac Mills to separate out the Pentagon line, but it is very efficient. I like the idea of passing out flyers, but temporary signs posted high enough would be ideal.

gg
Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 9:16am
The following reply also appears in the General Slugging Topics. Per the instructions from the administrator it is also being posted here to consolidate all the Horner line conversation. You can access the original post by clicking on the link below.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=192

Gold89,

You make some good points, but I believe you are in the minority. It's not Bob who is trying to change the Horner system it's the sluggers who use it.

The system at Horner is currently highly inefficient. If you are going to the Pentagon and you are an early riser then the current system is for you.

However, if you are like the rest of us who are going to other destinations it is at best cumbersome. The majority of the line is made of Pentagoners; you have an unofficial designated person who bellows out points of destinations to people in the line who are too far away to hear the drivers (which can be VERY annoying early in the morning); drivers "cut" the line constantly and wait frustratingly because their destination is not popular(Rosslyn, 14th St., L'Enfant destinations); and 18th street destinations are non-existent as I have experienced especially early in the morning. In short the current Horner system IS BROKEN and must be fixed. Nobody is trying to "SCREW" up anything we are just trying to make an imperfect system better for everyone.

BTW - Most of us who go to PM do so to avoid the craziness at Horner. The valid reasons why we would like to increase our choices for commuting lots are: 1) It is much tougher to get a ride back to PM in the afternoon - Drivers who pick up at PM like to drop people off at Horner effectively messing up the system 2) The Horner lot although admittedly new is vastly under utilized. What is wrong with increasing the choices for commuters on which lot to use based upon their needs? 3) There might be a day (maybe sooner than later) that the PM Lot will be closed as it is not exclusively for commuters as is the Horner Lot.

BSlug

emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 1:27pm
It is a very difficult topic. The main traffic entrance to the parking lot is from PW Parkway. Alter this route driving habit is hard not only because the Telegraph Rd. opcion is not a main route, but the entrance and the parking lot itself in that area is desolated. I would not feel confident in finding a lane of cars waiting for slugs.

mikeyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 11:58am
Many of us at Horner Rd. prefer the option of slugging to Pentagon to access Metro if we can't find something along 14th St. If we split the line you take away the versatility. I would prefer to keep 1 line.

Slug Cheri View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slug Cheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 3:53pm
I understand both sides of the complaint here and I unfortunately don't have a solution nor will I start a battle of the wits with my take on the problem. I did, however, want to share my observation from slugging out of Horner this morning at 7:30am. Today I was coming from 95 so I used the Parkway entrance. It was backed up along the road by about 4 cars so that no one could get into the lot to park. I flipped a U-turn and parked along the road instead of sit through that line. Some days I drop off my children and come from Minnieville, using the back entrance to Horner. Those days I am required to park in the nether regions of the lot because you can't get through that way either. In stead of arguing with each other, we need to look at a viable solution to the problem. Neither keeping the lines together OR separating them into two different lots seems to be working. I also noticed that some cars are boycotting the "new" system of two separate lines. I came across about three cars yelling for 14th ST. Has anyone complained to the people who planned the lot that way?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic