Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Lines for Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 3:38pm
Slug lines should form west of the designated bus lane. That way cars can back all the way up, and the bus has plenty of room. I think this solution will work.

quote:

Today, I was "second in line" and stood by the shelter closest to Telegraph road. The other gentleman was at the far side of the shelter closest to the old lot. After a few more people arrived, I convinced the all the slugs to stand on my side. (Due to the bus incident the day prior) We had a pretty good line established by 6:10. When I final got a ride, the driver took four of us. Before we could drive away, the bus showed up and as usual, the driver started blowing the horn. This is not making a good case for us.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where we should put the slug line?

I'm afraid if the line doesn't move soon, we will be "kicked out" by whomever has "operational control" of the commuter parking lot.

I won't beat the dead horse by making any more "I told you so" comments.

Gold89

M.R. Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.R. Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 3:57pm

Actually, it was one suit and one sports coat and slacks. I was the suit. Neither myself not Mr. sports coat were directed to hand out flyers. We knew that the line was changing and we took it on our own initiative to "get the word out". Like our fellow slugs, we want what is the best system.

Since you are so sure that the commute is now more difficult, I encourage you to get involved. Since you have spent time driving around the Horner road lot, I assume you have an in-depth knowledge of the lot layout. Therefore, please design a new flyer that will once again make your commute less difficult. Once you have it all figured out, please begin to distribute the flyers. It's time to get off the bench and come on in for the big win! Remember, nobody likes an armchair slug.

Before creating the Horner Road Flyer, did any one of you drive through the new lot to see where the slugs should wait AND where the drivers should go to pick them up? No? That's what I thought.

On my way home Monday night (16 Sep) I drove through the new Horner lot to see how and where a driver should go WITHOUT interfering with the buses. Due to the design and layout of the parking lines and "islands", there is no efficient way to drive, although there are plenty of places for slugs to wait.

Thanks for making my commute more difficult.

leblanc9425 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leblanc9425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2002 at 6:17am
M.R. Slug,
Thank you and to the other sports coats for helping out. I would like to see those who dislike the idea to do more than complain. The proposal may not be perfect but it was a good start. Finding fault with someone's idea is the easy part but actually getting involved with another solution is the hard part. Perhaps those who would like a different system at Horner could: develop a new flyer, organize its distribution, and be willing to accept harsh criticism.

Edited by - leblanc9425 on 25 Sep 2002 06:25:54

Edited by - leblanc9425 on 25 Sep 2002 06:27:33
mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2002 at 9:29am
Well, actually thare have been at least a couple of other suggestions which appear to have been ignored.

Chris Goetz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 4:47pm
But ignored by whom? Who ignored what and when? Changing the slug line was a VOLUNTEER EFFORT. You can armchair this thing or get involved. That's the point. There is no "slug council" that decides these things, just individuals who want to faciliate slugging and hope they are doing the right thing.

I think the new slug system at Horner Road is working out. I have mostly driven, but the slugs I am picking up all tell me they were not waiting long. I haven't waited long either. That's a sign of a system operating well.

quote:

Well, actually thare have been at least a couple of other suggestions which appear to have been ignored.

swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2002 at 8:10am
I like the new Horner Road lines. I have not had to wait more than 5-10 min for a ride and now that the line stands back from the bus stop I have not seen a bus block the other lane. Thank You everyone for you effort.

emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 1:58pm
I guess we have reach an understanding in the fact that we needed to move the slug-line away from the bus stop. Talking about the split of lines, I think it works very well. Although I have seen the same long line of cars in the old parking lot, but that is not our problem now.

JimmyJet View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2002 at 9:18am
The new system is working out great! There should have been a VA line and a DC line long before the new lot was opened -- this is an improvement that was long overdue.

My hat goes off to the person(s) who was bold enough to take the initiative to segragate the herd and shepard half of the sheep to another part of the pen! They loudly "baa-ahh" -- but they will follow ;~)

"Luv 95"
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2003 at 3:37pm
We often get long slug lines and long driver lines at the same time. This is good and we are mostly getting on our way quickly. However this is causing some problems in that the back of the slug line is getting destinations and shouting them out even though there are vehicles in front of the new arrivals.
Has anyone considered inverting this slug line?
Also, any interest in breaking out the 18th street slugs?
map077 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2003 at 2:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]We often get long slug lines and long driver lines at the same time. This is good and we are mostly getting on our way quickly. However this is causing some problems in that the back of the slug line is getting destinations and shouting them out even though there are vehicles in front of the new arrivals.
Has anyone considered inverting this slug line?
Also, any interest in breaking out the 18th street slugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic