Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Lines for Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 8:20am
Wow,imagine that! Two lines at Horner CAN work, what a novel idea.

I used the new Horner line this morning and things were pretty smooth.

As far as interference with the buses is concerned, I don't think it's a major problem now. The situation is the same at 14th and New York (evenings) with a lot more traffic, and the buses, drivers and slugs have learned to accomodate.

Let's give it some time for the new line to mature to see how that situation develops.

Bslug

mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 2:58pm
I was riding the bus this am. Picked me up at the location of the new slug line. As we were departing a car cut in front of the bus to pick up someone. Buss had to slam on brakes and I almost was thrown to the floor. Bottom line - the location of the new line is clearly marked for bus use only. Someone is going to get hurt as a result of this bad (and probably illegal) idea.

marydom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marydom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 8:51am
I have bben slugging for almost 3 year, mostly from Horner Rd. It seems that with the new lot being so large, it should be easy to
designate a "Slug Pick Up" area, not near the bus lanes. Maybe use a specific Lane of the parking lot that is easy to enter and exit.
I am in support of 2 slug lines, much like Potomac Mills has, however the new "pick up point" needs to be a safe one for all concerned.

mary

mary dominguez
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 9:37am
I knew this was coming. We cannot interrupt the bus lane which was created for that purpose only.
On Tuesday the 17th, I witnessed how the bus was forced to stop in the middle of the street because the bus lane was full of cars waiting for sluggers. Meantime, passengers had to cross the street in order to board the bus. It is very dangerous for everyone.

I recommend to re-locate the new slug line inside the parking lot, either on the side of the bus stop or in front of it. Some people are doing this with the difference that they are carpooling.

Changing of subject, I was driving on my way to the parking lot on Telegraph Rd, but instead of continuing that road I make a right on PW Parkway. I decided to stay on Telegraph Rd to give it a try. I will never do that. The waiting for the traffic lights giving you the right of way seems forever.

swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 12:39pm
The same thing happens at 7:00-7:15 when I am there. There gets to be 2 lines started. I did notice a Gov worker observing in a marked car this morning did not know what that was about????
Mabe move the slugline down from bus riders so buses can have room to cut infront of cars without blocking both lanes??????

Edited by - swichowski on 19 Sep 2002 12:41:35
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 1:04pm
I think no one reads previous replays, so I am posting what I think it is a good solution.

" knew this was coming. We cannot interrupt the bus lane which was created for that purpose only.
On Tuesday the 17th, I witnessed how the bus was forced to stop in the middle of the street because the bus lane was full of cars waiting for sluggers. Meantime, passengers had to cross the street in order to board the bus. It is very dangerous for everyone.

I recommend to re-locate the new slug line inside the parking lot, either on the side of the bus stop or in front of it. Some people are doing this with the difference that they are carpooling."

mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 5:21pm
Suggeston for new slug line location - how about the inside of the island opposite the old slug line? Seems to me this would alleviate conflict with busses and allow some flexibility should the need arise.

Chris Goetz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 3:29pm
This is easy. Slug lines should form BEHIND the bus lane. If you looked a the layout, you will note the is PLENTY of room for cars behind the bus land, and PLENTY of room for the bus to move around waiting cars, get in its land, and pick up slugs. This should be common sense to slugs.

Slugging is informal. No outside body regulates it. If you want to make sure the line forms properly, then get up at 5:30am in the morning and direct the slugs. Nothing happens in slug world without a volunteer stepping forward.

The old system did NOT work. Sometime after 7am, traffic would start backing up to Prince William parkway so you couldn't even get into the lot. Slugs would walk this line of cars and it was DANGEROUS. That's why this had to happen. Volunteers suggested it. Volunteers made it happen.

I have been using the system, both driving and slugging, and I LOVE it. I have not stood in line very long waiting for a downtown DC ride, nor have the people I pick up, because I have asked everyone I have picked up if the waited long. I think it's working great, and I have not witnessed any conflict with buses.

quote:

(Posted here for Bslug)

Before creating the Horner Road Flyer, did any one of you drive through the new lot to see where the slugs should wait AND where the drivers should go to pick them up? No? That's what I thought.

On my way home Monday night (16 Sep) I drove through the new Horner lot to see how and where a driver should go WITHOUT interfering with the buses. Due to the design and layout of the parking lines and "islands", there is no efficient way to drive, although there are plenty of places for slugs to wait.

Thanks for making my commute more difficult.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 3:31pm
If anyone out there slugs in at 6am, please just stand behind the bus lane. There's lots of room between the bus stop and telegraph road for cars to back up, and since there are two lanes flowing easterly, the Bus can easily get around the cars. It's simple, safe, and sluggers and buses can all be happy.

quote:

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST from the loudest opponent.

Two lines at Horner can work...HOWEVER...

The drivers picking up slugs are currently using the "bus lane". It will not be long before they start to interfere with the buses. This is where half of my complaining is. A little more research on the part of the "changers" and this might not be a problem now.

Any suggestions from anyone who knows what the lot looks like?

Edited by - Gold89 on 18 Sep 2002 06:45:24

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2002 at 3:33pm
The new line is not designated to stand in the bus lane. Sluggers should stand on the west side of the bus lane. This will only happen if an early am slug starts the line there. Just DO IT.

quote:

I was riding the bus this am. Picked me up at the location of the new slug line. As we were departing a car cut in front of the bus to pick up someone. Buss had to slam on brakes and I almost was thrown to the floor. Bottom line - the location of the new line is clearly marked for bus use only. Someone is going to get hurt as a result of this bad (and probably illegal) idea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic