Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

left lane "cruisers"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltrade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 11:07am
The idiots on this thread saying that fast drivers should "chill out" or "calm down" are the main reason we have so much traffic in this area. If everyone used the left lane for passing only, got into the right when they aren't passing, and followed at a correct distance, we would all get to work 30 minutes earlier. Anyone who drives 55 in a 65 is also subject to a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

Oh yeah, and slow drivers SUCK.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:20pm
The SPEED LIMIT is the upper limit, not the lower limit.

Had one wonderful person come up on my bumper yesterday as I was passing (I like to travel in the right hand lane, there's less traffic there!) another vehicle.

I was just coming line abreast with the vehicle I was passing, this bumper rider starts flashing lights at me to move over. I look to my right to confirm I'd not blacked out and there was indeed someone in the righthand lane.

There was a car there still and I was still overtaking.

The BR continued to flash her lights until she saw me moving out of the way.

It's ok. She'll receive a "Darwin award" someday as all she's really doing is killing herself with all that pent up impatience.

Yes, the limit is the upper limit. If following distances were followed, process analysis (e.g. identify the bottlenecks) shows that traffic flow would indeed be a higher average than the bumper riders realize.

But then again....it's all about "ME!".

NoSb
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by marcelhenryg
[br]yes, we all agree going 80n in the hov lanes is too fast.

Errr, is that the "royal we" there?
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:42pm
People are forgetting that this area needs ALL the lanes to keep traffic moving during RUSH hour. So basically left lane, right line rules don't apply. Just because the speed limit is 65 mph, you aren't necessarily going to be moving at that speed.

How's this rule of thumb for rush hour traffic: IF you are riding in left hand lane AND do not need to exit anytime soon AND the right hand lane is traveling faster than you, that's a good clue you need not be in the left hand lane. IF you are driving in the left hand lane and expect everyone to move over for you when both lanes are traveling at the same pace, I ask you who made you God? Take a chill pill, put on some good music, say a mantra.

Safety comes first and we ALL want to get home ALIVE!
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:56pm
Good post, VA4ver. As annoying as slowpokes are, the studies say that the most dangerous thing is the weaving in and out by the people who refuse to accept the speed of the traffic.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:35am
Like all the SOVs on 2 wheels this morning...

NoSb
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:53am
Funny thing is...in the HOV recently, I can pretty much stay in the "slow" lane - the right lane - and pretty much stay at the same pace as the A-hole doing all the tailgating, lightflashing, and weaving between cars! Just because of the sheer volume in the "passing" lane where people think just because they're in that lane they will be traveling at a faster pace. Rarely the case anymore.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:13am
Yeah, me too. I stay in the slow lane, accept the slow pace of traffic, watch folks weaving in and out and almost always end up near the Mem bridge split within five cars or so--sometimes even ahead of them. It happens almost every morning. When traffic is light in HOV in the a.m., I go all out and as fast as possible disregarding all safe speed limits, placing everyone in my car in mortal jeopardy. My car is so powerful that I can sometimes attain speeds approaching 40 mph for up to one mile! Most mornings I just let my car idle down the hov lanes. I seldom ever have to use the accelerator. Sad but true.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 11:37am
I really wish y'all would stop telling the world that the right lane is actually moving at an average speed roughly equal to the left lane. Now MY lane will be all the more clogged up and I will still only arrive to my destination within 5 car lengths of the "aggressive drivers". Huh? What'd he just say?

[:(]

NoSb
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:13pm
I just set the cruise on 45, and stay in the middle - that way I don't have to brake and can easily move to either lane, depending on where I feel I will be the more obnoxious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic