Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon "Police"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote werlau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 7:05pm
I think the reason the Pentagon police feel the need to enfore minor infractions must be because they are just plain BORED. Between directing traffic for a few hours each day, they seem to have nothing better to do than aimlessly patrol the lots looking for expired tags and the like. It is interesting to hear the stories of what people get pulled over for. A co-worker of mine was ticketed for not having a front plate on his sports car--which he has owned for about 20 years and still has the factory tag on front. One driver I rode with took the North Parking lot around the Pentagon to swing back around front and drop us off. The man directing traffic at the crosswalk actually left his post, walked up to the window, and told the driver that it is illegal to switch lanes without using a turn signal in Virginia. And at this time, there were no other cars--it wasn't like he was trying to merge into traffic and a turn signal would have alerted other cars of his presence. It's craziness I tell you. But I am really disappointed to hear that people were ticketed after coming back from Iraq and getting their cars from storage. How do they expect people to get to the inspection station--get their car towed to avoid the ticketing risk? Seeing that it is a MILITARY installation, you would think they would give some leeway to our warfighters and their situations. What a way to say thanks for fighting for freedom....
SlugginGator View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugginGator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 8:01pm
Werlau, I couldn't put it any better. It's not bitterness or hatred that drives me to speak out, it is the absurdity of the whole Pentagon Police. I really feel for miltrade and others who work there on a daily basis or have official business there from time to time. I think the penalties are absurd and the power tripping has gone way too far.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 11:50am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Folks,
Remember that the Pentagon is a military reservation. All persons and vehicles entering are subject to search.

This isn't entirely true. It is what they want you to think. The Pentagon reservation has its own set of rules. I can't remember which section of the CFR it is but the language of the CFR only mentions searches when trying to enter buildings or secured areas of the Pentagon reservation. They don't actually have the authority to search people without cause when driving through or in the parking lots since they aren't secured areas. The only thing they can do it make you identify yourself.

32 CFR
§234.3 Admission to property.
(a) Access to the Pentagon Reservation or facilities thereon shall be restricted in accordance with Department of Defense Administrative Instruction Number 30 1 in order to ensure the orderly and secure conduct of Department of Defense business. Admission to facilities or restricted areas shall be limited to employees and other persons with proper authorization.

1Forward written requests for copies of the document to the Directorate for Freedom of Information and Security Review, Room 2C757, 1400 Defense Pentagon, Washington, D.C. 20301–1400.

(b) All persons entering or upon the Pentagon Reservation shall, when required and/or requested, display identification to authorized persons.

(c) All packages, briefcases, and other containers brought into, on, or being removed from facilities or restricted areas on the Pentagon Reservation are subject to inspection and search by authorized persons. Persons entering on facilities or restricted areas who refuse to permit an inspection and search will be denied entry.

(d) Any person or organization desiring to conduct activities anywhere on the Pentagon Reservation shall file an application for permit with the applicable Building Management Office. Such application shall be made on a form provided by the Department of Defense and shall be submitted in the manner specified by the Department of Defense. Violation of the conditions of a permit issued in accordance with this section is prohibited and may result in the loss of access to the Pentagon Reservation.

So if they ask to search your vehicle tell them NO! Make them get a warrant and don't let them trample your rights. If enough people tell them no, maybe they'll stop the stupid checkpoints they setup to intimidate people into allowing searches.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 12:01pm
quote:

So if they ask to search your vehicle tell them NO! Make them get a warrant and don't let them trample your rights. If enough people tell them no, maybe they'll stop the stupid checkpoints they setup to intimidate people into allowing searches.

If what you say is indeed true...it's great to know that a terrorist with explosives in the trunk can just simply say "no" and pass right on through.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 12:07pm
NEVER allow a search of your vehicle without a warrant!

Law enforcement officials know that they can passively (yeah, right) intimidate anyone they pull over and pointedly ask you "Mind if we search your vehicle?". The right answer is always no, you'll need a search warrant.

They may do it anyways, but at least then you have grounds to contest the search in most cases.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 1:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]
If what you say is indeed true...it's great to know that a terrorist with explosives in the trunk can just simply say "no" and pass right on through.

Well, if the Pentagon was serious about security in the parking lots they would make them restricted spaces with checkpoints. But the way the lot layout has been designed this is basically impossible. They really shouldn't have made the only way to enter the HOV lanes go through the reservation. This makes it unrealistic to block off the lots. Subjecting cars to searches when they are only interested in getting onto a public interstate that their taxes pay for simply because the goverment made the only access through a military road would be a bit ridiculous. It would be a backdoor around unreasonable searches in the name of "security".
What about people that use the buses and the only way to get to work is through the Pentagon bus station? Should they all be subject to search because WMATA decided to route all the buses through the Pentagon? How about searching the passengers on the metro when they stop at the Pentagon station?
People that have nothing to do with the Pentagon and have no other choice but to go through reservation because of poor government planning should not be forced to give up their rights.
Your example of a car bomb would work for any situation like the mall, schools, courthouses, police stations, etc. Should all cars at these locations be subject to search?
SlugginGator View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugginGator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 5:55pm
Is this true:
If you use the HOV lane and take the Pentagon exit, upon reaching the first stop sign into the parking lot you cannot make a left turn or a U-turn onto the two way road?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 9:01am
I think they probably could search your car on a military base without a warrant.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 11:49am
Though I don't see them plainly posted around the Pentagon, there are signs in front of most military bases plainly stating "all persons and vehicles entering are subject to search". Once you're on, consent is implied. I suppose you could try to refuse, and legally, the MP/SPs could drag you out of the car at gun point and proceed (if they are having a bad day), or hold you for civilian authorities, and have you charged with felony trespassing.

Also watch for signs indicating a Priority A resource. If the MPs are having a really bad day, they get to just shoot people insidde those.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 4:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Though I don't see them plainly posted around the Pentagon, there are signs in front of most military bases plainly stating "all persons and vehicles entering are subject to search". Once you're on, consent is implied. I suppose you could try to refuse, and legally, the MP/SPs could drag you out of the car at gun point and proceed (if they are having a bad day), or hold you for civilian authorities, and have you charged with felony trespassing.

So if someone submits to a search on a military base they aren't trespassing, but if they refuse they've committed a felony? How's that work?

I see no problem searching people that are entering regular military bases. But in the case of the Pentagon, the only(reasonable) way to get onto the southbound HOV lanes from Crystal City or Pentagon City is by driving on the reservation. Why should those people be subject to search when the government is forcing them to drive through the reservation to use a public road?

They might have signs like that around the Pentagon, but if they don't have a legal basis for it then it is just a decoration. The Pentagon reservation has a whole seperate section in the C.F.R. so what applies at military bases isn't the same as the laws at the Pentagon. The first time that the Pentagon police exceed their authority with someone that knows the law they will have a costly lawsuit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic