Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:35am
Bob,

The last is probably the case. My wife still doesn't seem to comprehend (or appreciate) the full automatic mode in our Avalon.

I on the other hand do make it a point to mention that the frontside passenger has his own temp control and he's welcome to adjust that to suit him and the slug behind him. If I pick up a 4th, that person gets to live with my temp prefs since driver/owner comfort is contributory to safe driving as well.

NoSb
SlgDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlgDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:46am
I'm with you NoSb. I have dual air control in the car though I try to keep the car chilly as we can always let the car warm up. I also try to let them know they can change their temp if too warm or cold. I'm a newbie to slugging (been slugging for a little over a month now.) I totally appreciate the riders and love how much time I have saved. For certain reasons I was unable to use it in the past but now I'm there every morning. The worst thing you may have to deal with in my car is children's music (I take a 19 month with me in the morning but he's normally quiet and falls asleep)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ~ Aristotle
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:18pm
About 85 is where I turn on the AC. I'll be glad to turn it on before that if I start seeing some help with the gas.

BTW,
30 MPG windows up, no slugs
27 MPG windows down, 2 slugs
22 MPG AC on, 2 slugs
25 MPG AC on, no slugs.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:29pm

It is true one gets less mpg with more weight in the vehicle no matter the type (could merge another thread about "supersized slugs" here!).

The counter would be that one only gets those #s at "highway/commuting speeds" for a non-CF vehicle. Then again, 3 people (at least) in the vehicle makes that an "effective mpg" at a higher number. This in comparison to 3 people individually driving their own vehicles getting the best mpg they can.

Tip: empty excess weight from the vehicle and pick up "lite" slugs!

122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:42pm
N or S,
Since I'm the only one paying for gas, your effective MPG doesn't matter, and my commute cost is higher.

Remember, many of us who have to drive anyway, can also work flexible schedules that let us sleep late, and go home after the HOV restriction is lifted.

Bottom line, is slugs need to start chipping in some gas money when they want to regulate what i do in my car.

Otherwise, get in, sit down, buckle up, shut up, and don't slam the door on your way out.

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:03pm
It does matter since you wouldn't get that mileage without the riders. Sitting in the main line would put some substantial pressure on the #s you gave earlier.

There's other reasons for the arrangement to work the way it does. You and I (I drive everyday) benefit from time and fuel savings. Riders benefit from maybe more than us, but we all make our choices. Yes, you do have a choice...always, except in death.

I like meeting new people everday. I can afford to drive (prob more so than many riders). Its a good arrangement that takes people understanding the "give and take" in the system.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]About 85 is where I turn on the AC. I'll be glad to turn it on before that if I start seeing some help with the gas.

BTW,
30 MPG windows up, no slugs
27 MPG windows down, 2 slugs
22 MPG AC on, 2 slugs
25 MPG AC on, no slugs.

BY THE NUMBERS
15 mile commute, $2.40 per gallon, 30 miles per gallon, windows up, no slugs. Works out to $0.08 per mile. Fuel cost for 15 mile trip? $1.20.

Same distance, same price per gallon. AC on THREE slugs, 20 miles per gallon. Works out to $0.12 per mile. Fuel cost for 15 mile trip? $1.80

Additional fuel cost $0.60. Divided three ways is twenty cents.

Avoiding building more VRE and METRO? About $100 per passenger.

Feeling for keeping a slug happy? Priceless.

Null and Boyd (Divorce Lawyers)

dickboyd@aol.com
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:14pm
My commute using your numbers:
BY THE NUMBERS
120 mile daily commute, $2.40 per gallon, 30 miles per gallon, windows up, no slugs. Works out to $0.08 per mile. Fuel cost for 120 mile daily roundtrip? $9.60.

Same distance, same price per gallon. AC on THREE slugs, 20 miles per gallon. Works out to $0.12 per mile. Fuel cost for 120 mile daily roundtrip trip? $14.40

Additional fuel cost $4.80 (that's a # 2 at McD's). Divided three ways is - what?? a slug chip in??????

Avoiding building more VRE and METRO? Why woudl you want to do that? Oh, yeah - it would threaten your free ride.

Feeling for keeping a slug happy? Doesn't matter to me - they are getting a free ride.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]My commute using your numbers:
BY THE NUMBERS
SNIP Works out to $0.12 per mile. Fuel cost for 120 mile daily roundtrip trip? $14.40

Additional fuel cost $4.80 (that's a # 2 at McD's). Divided three ways is - what?? a slug chip in??????

Avoiding building more VRE and METRO? Why would you want to do that? Oh, yeah - it would threaten your free ride.

Feeling for keeping a slug happy? Doesn't matter to me - they are getting a free ride.

Avoid VRE and METRO because they are so costly. A vehicle cost runs about $0.60 per mile. Big factors are depreciation and insurance. "Public transit" is about $25 per hour and $1.50 per mile. (1978 figures). None of the capital investment is recouped in the fare box and only 25% to 50% of the operating costs are revovered in the fare box.

Maybe some one has up to date numbers on the METRO VRE subsidy agreements.

The kicker is that the money for "public transit" would be better spent on promoting slugs. Money not spent on transit could go to better schools.

Is the ride "free" for the slugs? Maybe not if you factor in the inconvenience of NOT having 3,000 pounds of sheet metal at their beck and call.

For those of you "super commuting" [one way greater than 50 miles] there may be some other options. Flexitime, work at home, work in an office in a local shopping center. Work by commuter.

I like Aesop's stories. But I won't repeat them here.

Boyd where prohibited.

dickboyd@aol.com
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:37pm
122582:
Where do you drive from and what do you drive so we Know not to get in your car?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic