Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 3:03pm
There's the real answer: IT DEPENDS.

Vehicles are aerodynamically designed to do better with windows up than down in most cases nowadays. What year is the beast?

The stronger the engine the less percentage impact the AC compressor will have on the vehicle. How many horsepower does your beast generate?

Some vehicles are very sensitive (actually the computer is), some have make more dynamic adjustments to fuel flow than others. Who builds your beast?

Related to the above point is the consideration of how well maintained a vehicle is. A clean vs dirty air filter can have much more impact on mileage than the AC alone.

There are studies that agree with the 1/10s of an mpg difference. Others that don't.

Oh, he only endorses those items so he'll be paid. He's not really a believer in them. Which brings up an important point to consider in everything in your life---who ya gonna trust? I mean, who can you turn to for an unbiased answer to many of the questions that are out there. Which is more reliable, a Toyota or Honda? Which is safer to eat, organic or agribusiness vegetables? Who makes better coffee, Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts or WaWa?

It depends on who you ask, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 3:34pm
Well, he(Pat Goss) did say that some cars have that small a difference. I have a V6 and don't notice any difference in mileage compared to without A/C. In warmer weather cars usually get better MPG, so that might offset running the A/C in warmer weather.
annsyp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annsyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 4:42pm
Holy moly. I'm a driver and I'm just thankful to be able to pick up slugs every morning and afternoon to cut my commute by 50%, 60%, more...

I'd never think about how much more it costs to run my air with a slug or two in the car! I look at it as the dollar value of my own time. What is my time worth to me? Say it's worth $20/hour to the company I work for. And I can cut a two-hour commute down to one by picking up some fellow downtown-working professionals. Round-trip, I just saved myself two hours, or $40.

I'd way rather pick up a few "bottom feeders" (not my words, obv) who might cost me $10 extra bucks a day in gas, but get those two hours of my own life (sleep!!) back.

I love picking up slugs. I've never had anyone do anything rude in my car, or tick me off in any way. Every single day I am thankful that I don't have to sit in that parking lot on 95 or be smushed into a metro car with a bunch of people. Each time people get into my car, I ask them to let me know if the temperature is okay. Only once has anyone ever asked me to turn it up or down. I'd be mortified to find myself on this website as a "do not ride with" and want my slugs to be as comfortable as possible. I am thankful they choose to stand out there day after day so that I can get to work a lot faster.
SlgDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlgDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 9:49am
I'm with you Annsyp. I just totally enjoy having such a much faster, less stressful ride in the mornings. Sometimes people talk, sometimes they don't. I'll have my A/C on regardless of if there are slugs in the car. Unlike someone,I didn't pinch pennies to buy a car that I have to monitor my A/C for performance. So the doors close properly, but the engine is poo poo? An Audi?!?[xx(] lol, I won't even touch that one. The convenience of the ride is worth the extra costs to me. I have yet to have someone slam my door or not say thank you for the ride, so AC's on when you ride with me. Heck I don't even mind the cell phone.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ~ Aristotle
tbear21282 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbear21282 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 12:34pm
I think the bottom line is that the slugger is relying on a ride home. I feel like as long as you get there safely and on TIME that is all that matters. Remember A/C is a luxury. it may not seem that way because people today always want what they want but really it is up to the driver's discretion. Personally in my car, although I don't drive, I rarely turn on the A/C. I would rather be hot for I find it comfortable. That is my personal opinion. Different strokes for different folks but the main goal is to get out and down the road...being comfortable is a luxury. If I got in someone's car and the air was not on and it was hot...Ok. i would ask, if they say no then they say no. What am I going to do about it...fight, jump out the car on HOV and become a hitchhiker...NO! Deal with it and move on. If someone's car is broke down..meaning can not start or is having problems making it up the road...that is when it is broken down...not because the A/C is not working. Furthermore, if you are not paying for my car A/C to be fixed then you really shouldn't have anything to say but that you would like the A/C on. End of discussion.

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 12:43pm
I don't ask to be completely 100% comfortable. But during these days of 95 degree heat and 95 percent humidity not having AC can be more than just uncomfortable. I understand that people don't always want to run the AC but don't be surprised if I get out of your car when it's that hot and the AC's not on (and yes, I don't care if it's not on because it's broke or if it's not on because it's just not on). I understand that I'm the rider but expecting some level of basic comfort isn't inappropriate.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2005 at 3:09pm
"Remember A/C is a luxury."

Is it really? When I think of luxuries in cars, I think of GPS maps and the like. A/C is completely standard these days.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 7:13am
quote:

A/C is completely standard these days.

That is not a correct statement. The first 3 cars I looked at on MSN Autos DO NOT come with AC standard (Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, Toyota ECHO). Yeah, these are some of the cheapest cars out there, but never-the-less...it shows that you statement is not true.

By the way...people lived without AC in their cars for a very long time. I'm sure 1 ride without it won't kill you.
shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 12:57pm
KCWolfPck, people also lived without clothes for a long time... that does not mean that we will commute to work without them. :)

If I want to save money, I will bring my lunch refrain from buying new clothes, and keep the AC off when I am in my car alone.

When I have slugs in my car, the AC is always on. 'Nuff Said.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 1:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]KCWolfPck, people also lived without clothes for a long time... that does not mean that we will commute to work without them. :)

Ummm....clothing, along with water, food, and shelter are our most basic needs. Comparing them to a WANT like air conditioning is like comparing apples to oranges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic