Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrcas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC not working
    Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 2:50pm
First thing first, I really appreciate people coming by to pick up the slugs. But, I really do have a problem with cars who chose not to use their AC or it is not working.It is just way to HOT and HUMID for the long ride home.This past week, it has happened to me twice already. It is quite a long drive home from the Pentagon to 610. PLEASE drivers if you either chose not to use your AC or it is broken, let the slugs know before you pull out. The lady that I rode home with one of those days almost passed out due to the heat. The driver only had her sunroof open. Her AC was not working. Plus, her windows could not go down. Slugs are suppose to appreciate that they are getting a ride home, but drivers should also be considerate to the Slugs.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 6:40am
Here Here tdrcas! I understand about wanting to save gas by not running the air and all, but when its 100 degrees and your picking up slugs...how hot does it have to get before you break down and push the AC button!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:24am
I agree that drivers should not be stingy with the cool cool AC, BUT- we should all be grateful that we not only dont have the stress of being the driver, but not having to pay the everyday gas prices!! BE gratefull VA, I was in NY this past weekend, and paid 2.45 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'}
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:27am
Actually many cars are aerodynamically designed to get better fuel efficiency with the windows up and AC on than windows down, AC off.

Maybe the drivers were from Saudi Arabia and 94 degrees is a nice cool morning for them!

NoSb
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 9:25am
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Actually many cars are aerodynamically designed to get better fuel efficiency with the windows up and AC on than windows down, AC off.

Maybe the drivers were from Saudi Arabia and 94 degrees is a nice cool morning for them!

NoSb

You're absolutely right. The turbulence caused by having open windows increases the drag and reduces your mpg. Best bet is to keep the windows closed.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 9:45am
This issue came up in the Spring, I believe. If you've had this happen twice don't you think it's time to ask the driver is the A/C will be on??!! I learned this 10 years ago when I started slugging. I almost lost lunch in the guy's car cause the A/C was broken. I was soooo annoyed that anyone who drives a BMW is so cheap to get the darn A/C fixed but drives the car just to show off and feel important. He DID apologize and said he bought the car (older car) to make himself feel better. I said if you continue to pick up slugs it would be proper and considerate if he announced that the air would NOT be on. Fair warned. I don't feel like slugs are like non-human beings and should just "be lucky for a ride" like a few on this board do. Basic creature comforts are the minimum for a driver to provide. Look at the rules for drivers and it says it all.
SlugginGator View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugginGator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:09am
Mycroftt, out of curiosity are you a chemical, mechanical, or aerospace engineer? Just asking because your reference to turbulence and drag is right on.
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:18am
I actually rode with a fellow the other day who said that he pulls up to the line with his windows cracked, as if he was trying to let some of the hot air escape and after he picks up his slugs and gets on HOV, announces that he does not have air conditioning.[xx(]

I listened to him talk about what a good job he does of maintaining his vehicle and between he and his mechanic they decided that if he eliminated his air conditioning he would have a more get-up-and-go and less of a chance of stalling out between lane changes. OK boys and girls, can we say real freakin' genius[?] I hope the puddle I left in his backseat didn't short out any of his electrical wires!

Talk about iconsiderate.[:(!] Needless to say, the commute home was miserable and I will never make that mistake again.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:26am
Moody Girl...urinating in someones back seat is really not proper slug etiquette ;)
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:29am
I know this sounds whiney, but I have gotten to almost dread the cars that have the automatic temp control. It seams like 95% of the time it is hotter than hades and the driver is just oblivious. Usually almost no air is coming out. Dont know whether these thermostat based systems just dont work or if the people that get them dont know how to adjust them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic