Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]I do live in a world that is all shades of gray AND the full color spectrum.

If one rereads my post, I had 2, the driver behind me had 2. Where's the advantage to not taking the extra 5 steps and doing what most reasonable people would call the "right thing"...of course, that might be the right thing only in a black and white world.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Reread my post, i was not referring to your situation. This guy was all alone. You had two people already. I still think the slug makes the call based upon his needs desires. There is no hard and fast rule. Also, if you read the rules of etiquette posted on this site, there is no rule regarding the situation i have described.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpotsySlugBug
[br]The driver of the first car may have been waiting 10-15 minutes for slugs and who knows much time you may have added to that for him. I can't see breaking slug etiquette because you were running late. If its a driver/car you don't feel comfortable with, then yes but not because you were trying to save yourself 10 minutes. Supply and demand? Just remember, that goes both ways....and that's where the Karma comes in. You are better off to just follow slug etiquette, but that's just a suggestion, because, after all, its your prerogative.

Where in the slug etiquette rules does it state "I MUST RIDE IN THE FIRST CAR IN LINE EVEN IF THAT CAR ONLY HAS ONE PERSON AND THE SECOND CAR HAS TWO PEOPLE AND THEY ARE GOING TO MY LOCATION."

Here's another bone for you to chew on: What if I knew those people in the second car and chose to ride with them, regardless of their place in line?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:22pm
Yeah, a system is just that. If everyone starts going and jumping up and down the line picking this and that based on personal preferences, there won't be much of a system anymore.

Maybe 123456 (or whatever) was right (refer to his other postings to get a feel for the sentiments here).

Anyone know of a used hybrid for sale?

NoSb

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Yeah, a system is just that. If everyone starts going and jumping up and down the line picking this and that based on personal preferences, there won't be much of a system anymore.

Maybe 123456 (or whatever) was right (refer to his other postings to get a feel for the sentiments here).

Anyone know of a used hybrid for sale?

NoSb

you're actually wrong. even if things were to evolve as you think they will, there will still be a working system as both the majority of riders and drivers needs will still be fulfilled (3 for HOV).
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:39pm
CedarCity,
Not to beat this to death, but to put the shoe on the other foot.

You're at the head of the line (20 plus people, few cars), and I pull up needing two riders. It's 94 degrees, and you've been out there 15 minutes.

I see my good buddies (N or S, and Spotsy) standing 3 and 5 positions back in line. I perform the perfectly acceptable (and published) practice of performing a "Will Call", and we drive off leaving you standing.

Just think about it.
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]
quote:
[br]The driver of the first car may have been waiting 10-15 minutes for slugs and who knows much time you may have added to that for him. I can't see breaking slug etiquette because you were running late. If its a driver/car you don't feel comfortable with, then yes but not because you were trying to save yourself 10 minutes. Supply and demand? Just remember, that goes both ways....and that's where the Karma comes in. You are better off to just follow slug etiquette, but that's just a suggestion, because, after all, its your prerogative.

Where in the slug etiquette rules does it state "I MUST RIDE IN THE FIRST CAR IN LINE EVEN IF THAT CAR ONLY HAS ONE PERSON AND THE SECOND CAR HAS TWO PEOPLE AND THEY ARE GOING TO MY LOCATION."

Here's another bone for you to chew on: What if I knew those people in the second car and chose to ride with them, regardless of their place in line?

cedarcitynative, I'm confused as to why you posted the question if you really don't want the responses/counsel from your fellow slugs. You seem to want your actions justified and not everyone will agree or sympathize with you. You feel you are right. No point in creating other "scenarios" and "bones to chew on". Your reason for choosing the second car is because you were running late, period. No point in trying to put slug etiquette under the microscope, its just common sense and courtesy to others. We can just agree to disagree on this one.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 3:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]CedarCity,
Not to beat this to death, but to put the shoe on the other foot.

You're at the head of the line (20 plus people, few cars), and I pull up needing two riders. It's 94 degrees, and you've been out there 15 minutes.

I see my good buddies (N or S, and Spotsy) standing 3 and 5 positions back in line. I perform the perfectly acceptable (and published) practice of performing a "Will Call", and we drive off leaving you standing.

Just think about it.

I've worn that shoe and it's comfortable.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 3:23pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]
quote:

cedarcitynative, I'm confused as to why you posted the question if you really don't want the responses/counsel from your fellow slugs. You seem to want your actions justified and not everyone will agree or sympathize with you. You feel you are right. No point in creating other "scenarios" and "bones to chew on". Your reason for choosing the second car is because you were running late, period. No point in trying to put slug etiquette under the microscope, its just common sense and courtesy to others. We can just agree to disagree on this one.

You are correct, I did write seeking your counsel. That does not mean, however, that I must agree with it. I agree (and it is clear from this thread) that not everyone will agree or sympathize with me. One of the reasons for having this discussion is to flesh out a set of "what ifs." Threads on this website often evolve and address issues/ideas which are outside the initial question or comment. It's rare that we stay directly on message. You can't bind me or others to sticking only to the issue which started the thread. Lighten up a bit. I have certainly found the thread enlightening. Will the counsel of my peers change my behavior? Probably not, but it is nice to have your perspective.

Thanks!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 3:51pm
While we would all like to be thought of as "good people" doing this slugging thing for the betterment of mankind (or simply being able to use HOV without too much hassle), it is true that we all are in it to some degree or another for ourselves.

Honestly, we wouldn't care to pick up strangers or ride with strangers unless we got something out of it, like saved time/money/vehicle maintenance.

When we start to spin so many other "guidelines" into the equation, it starts to raise some difficulties. I can understand riding in a vehicle that you deem "safe" or one that has friends in that you'd like to ride with (I've done the second, but not the first).

The challenge is (like in our society) when we start to lay so many different "preferences" on something that causes human courtesy and relative order to breakdown, then there's probably a problem.

Some don't care for hybrids in HOV even though they can legally be there. Their CHOICE serves to suboptimize a system at the expense of others, yet they get the full benefit of some portion of the system. (yes, I understand there is a point where the entire system collapses because of too many SOVs in the HOV).

To a smaller scale (mebbe), not practicing courtesy and always doing what is selfishly convenient (I'm not saying you were being selfish CedarCity, this is just discussion---maybe with some cussin' too!), will serve to suboptimize the system. People who get fed up with slugs not following predictable courteous practices may choose hybrids. Slugs are photographed as undesirables and skipped over in the line because of previous abuses/slights.

These may seem minor and trite however they illuminate what can gradually occur over a time period where something that is a universal oddity doesn't work anymore (or at the least as good as it could/did).

NoSb

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 3:58pm
This silly chair-throwing argument makes me feel like I'm on board a famous oceanliner. Anyone feel that cold water rising slowly up around their ankles? I just can't work myself up into a proper rage about "etta kett" when our entire social order is about to be summarily smooshed.

Which car you get in (if there are any) won't matter because you'll get old and gray sitting in Toll Road gridlock.

(The Sponge is taking himself off into a corner to have a few sighs.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic