Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 4:14pm
Maybe HOT is the answer?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 4:24pm
Sponge, you're right on the mark. I had no idea my conduct would bring such disorder to the cosmos. People take themselves far too seriously. NorS. Why don't you buy that hybrid you've been wanting. You could use a break from the commuting stress.
Undisclosed View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2005 at 10:23am
quote:
cedarcitynative, I'm confused as to why you posted the question if you really don't want the responses/counsel from your fellow slugs. You seem to want your actions justified and not everyone will agree or sympathize with you. You feel you are right.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. It appears that counsel was not wanted, just reassurance.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2005 at 10:01pm
Can't help but believe that HOT frenzy would slow if hybrid exemption was extended. But that's not what this thread is about. Seems like someone was asking forgiveness for not following the rules.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 8:09am
You people are far too worried about HOT. If it gets to the point of increased congestion, tolls will rise and less people will pay. If it gets too congested, the HOT will be closed to paying customers and only HOV-3 will be allowed on. Don't forget that they are also adding a lane. Geez...HOT is NOT the end of the world for us current HOVers. However, I am glad that I won't be living near DC after summer of 2008!! :)
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]Yesterday morning I arrive at the commuter lot to catch a ride to the Pentagon. There are two cars in line: the first car only has one person and the second car has two people. I'm running a bit late and don't have time to wait for a third person to come for the first car so I jump in the second car with two people. Almost immediately the driver of the first car jumps out of his car with his arms outspread like he's gonna take me out and bellows, "Hey, don't you need a ride?!" Rather cooly, I answer: "Yes, and I am riding with them." As we pulled out of the lot, the driver of the car I'm in says: "Man, I thought he was gonna come after you." So, I asked them if what I just did was against the "rules." We all agreed, it's my prerogative to ride in whichever car I chose. I know it's courteous to fill the cars at the beginning of the line, but in this case I think the driver overreacted.

Give me some counsel, fellow slug buddies.

One minor detail: the driver of the first car was driving a Ford Escape Hybrid (without the CF plates). It's only a matter of time before he bids the slug system goodbye (once he gets his CF plates) and rides smugly up the HOV lanes.

You were wrong. The whole slug system is based on first-come first-served. Of course there are exceptions (like will calls), but what you did is like a driver pulling up and taking riders off the back of the line as a matter of convenience. You violated basic line etiquette.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 8:51am
"You were wrong. The whole slug system is based on first-come first-served. Of course there are exceptions (like will calls), but what you did is like a driver pulling up and taking riders off the back of the line as a matter of convenience. You violated basic line etiquette."

I completely disagree. Part of basic line etiquette is that drivers and riders can choose who they want to ride with. The entire system would break down if we forced people to ride with the first car in line no matter what.

Most riders and drivers just take the first available car/ride, but the system needs to accomodate that sometimes people need to take the fastest ride too. As with any general rule, some people will abuse it, but let's not punish the people who don't.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 9:40am
It appears the opinions depend on whether you're primarily a driver or primarily a slug. Slugs feel whatever they do should be acceptable, drivers feel it's first come, first served.

According to this website, CedarCity did nothing wrong - he or she passed on a ride.

Of course, he or she then sought justification for the action. Obviously CedarCity felt a little guilty about what seems to be a selfish decision.

Perhaps it's time to review the unofficial slugging courtesies, and educate the slugging public.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 10:00am
quote:
Originally posted by cdatkins

"You were wrong. The whole slug system is based on first-come first-served. Of course there are exceptions (like will calls), but what you did is like a driver pulling up and taking riders off the back of the line as a matter of convenience. You violated basic line etiquette."

I completely disagree. Part of basic line etiquette is that drivers and riders can choose who they want to ride with. The entire system would break down if we forced people to ride with the first car in line no matter what.

Most riders and drivers just take the first available car/ride, but the system needs to accomodate that sometimes people need to take the fastest ride too. As with any general rule, some people will abuse it, but let's not punish the people who don't.

I can't agree that the important point is that people get to ride with whomever they choose. That is antithetical to the very concept of slugging, which is to get people (drivers and slugs) from one end of the HOV to the other.

I'll give you a real life example of how "I want to ride in THAT car" affects the dynamics of the line. I was slugging from Rosslyn to 610 and was fourth (of four people) in line. Two cars pull up and I immediately move toward the second car. The other three people all began piling in the first car. When I suggested we ride two slugs to each car I got a response "We want to ride together". Off they went and I sat in the car with the other driver (who was quite disgusted) for about 5 minutes before another slug came along.

I don't believe that the free style approach is a healthy thing for slugging. I think you should get in the first car in line unless there is some good reason you don't want to get in there, e.g. you are too large to fit in a small car, bad experience with that driver, poor condition of the vehicle, etc. Similarly, I think drivers should pick up from the front of the line, although I understand that will calls can make it more convenient as a driver can pick up a coworker and drive direct to the worksite. I'm pretty conservative about what I think are acceptable behaviours for slugs - I'm against line-cutting and I'm even against the current trend of asking every driver to "take three", as I believe it uses up all the slugs and the later drivers will be left short, and I don't think that's fair.

Interesting discussion - thanks! :)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2005 at 10:51am
So, you think that my husband and I, who always slug together, should slug separate, if the car we get into just so happens to pick both of us up, even if the driver already has a 2nd in the car before us? Just because you may have to wait for another slug, for the car you may wait in after us?? Ok, so sorry to inconvenience you, NOT!!

:'}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic