Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Etiquette Question
    Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:15am
Yesterday morning I arrive at the commuter lot to catch a ride to the Pentagon. There are two cars in line: the first car only has one person and the second car has two people. I'm running a bit late and don't have time to wait for a third person to come for the first car so I jump in the second car with two people. Almost immediately the driver of the first car jumps out of his car with his arms outspread like he's gonna take me out and bellows, "Hey, don't you need a ride?!" Rather cooly, I answer: "Yes, and I am riding with them." As we pulled out of the lot, the driver of the car I'm in says: "Man, I thought he was gonna come after you." So, I asked them if what I just did was against the "rules." We all agreed, it's my prerogative to ride in whichever car I chose. I know it's courteous to fill the cars at the beginning of the line, but in this case I think the driver overreacted.

Give me some counsel, fellow slug buddies.

One minor detail: the driver of the first car was driving a Ford Escape Hybrid (without the CF plates). It's only a matter of time before he bids the slug system goodbye (once he gets his CF plates) and rides smugly up the HOV lanes.

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:20am
The first car in line should be filled first, period. I too had someone jump in a car behind me the other day in Crystal City. I had 2 in my vehicle and just needed the 3rd. The car behind me had 2, but the slug didn't want to walk the extra 5 steps to come up to my vehicle.

About the only real exception should be if the vehicle is "unfit" for the ride, then pick and choose.

If people keep doing what you did, yes, people will bail on slugging as an alternative. I wouldn't call him "smug" either for doing it.

Maybe I need a Hybrid?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:25am
The fact that the first car was a hybrid w/o CF/CX plates shouldn't prejudice you either way (no more than if the driver was a naked cherub). No, you rounded out a car pool efficiently. Unfortunately for the first driver there weren't enough slugs.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:25am
Well, the unofficial rules say you have the right to pass on a ride for any reason.

As a driver, I'd have been a little miffed, but this sort of thing happens all the time, so I'd get over it.

Remember, what you do can come back on you. Picture yourself the 3rd rider in line. It's pouring rain, a car pulls up, you ask the driver if she'll take 3. She smiles, looks at you and laughs. You recognize her as the ranting driver.

Karma.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:25am
You must live and work in a black and white world, with very little room for flexibility. Your car had two people. His car had one. I can understand if his car had two and I passed it up, but that was not the case. I still think it is rider's prerogative, especially on a slow morning. I highly doubt drivers will bail because of my behavior. You got to have some facts to back that statement up. It's simply a matter of supply and demand.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:28am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Well, the unofficial rules say you have the right to pass on a ride for any reason.

As a driver, I'd have been a little miffed, but this sort of thing happens all the time, so I'd get over it.

Remember, what you do can come back on you. Picture yourself the 3rd rider in line. It's pouring rain, a car pulls up, you ask the driver if she'll take 3. She smiles, looks at you and laughs. You recognize her as the ranting driver.

Karma.

It won't be long before [he] is cruising the lanes as a single occupant. that shouldn't be a problem.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 11:30am
quote:
Originally posted by VA4ver
[br]The fact that the first car was a hybrid w/o CF/CX plates shouldn't prejudice you either way (no more than if the driver was a naked cherub). No, you rounded out a car pool efficiently. Unfortunately for the first driver there weren't enough slugs.

I honestly didn't notice his car was an Hybrid until after we were pulling out of the lot.
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 12:18pm
The driver of the first car may have been waiting 10-15 minutes for slugs and who knows much time you may have added to that for him. I can't see breaking slug etiquette because you were running late. If its a driver/car you don't feel comfortable with, then yes but not because you were trying to save yourself 10 minutes. Supply and demand? Just remember, that goes both ways....and that's where the Karma comes in. You are better off to just follow slug etiquette, but that's just a suggestion, because, after all, its your prerogative.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 12:33pm
I do live in a world that is all shades of gray AND the full color spectrum.

If one rereads my post, I had 2, the driver behind me had 2. Where's the advantage to not taking the extra 5 steps and doing what most reasonable people would call the "right thing"...of course, that might be the right thing only in a black and white world.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2005 at 12:38pm
N or S Bound,

The person had every right as a slug to choose not to ride with you.

If a slug doesn't feel comfortable getting into your car for whatever reason, you shouldn't expect them to just because you're first in line. Other slugs may have a burning desire to ride with you -- but that slug didn't.

Don't get your shorts in a wad over this. Go with the flow.

Keep on sluggin' ! [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic