Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic
    Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 3:09pm
My daughter goes to a school which makes the kids to a senior thesis. After hearing me complain so much about hybrids, she did a study with some classmates. They observed HOV traffic on 33 different days for three hours each day over the course of five months at different locations and calculated the number of HOV's which were using the lanes.

The result? Only 12% of the vehicles were hybrids. While that's not "no effect" on traffic, it is a pretty small effect. Considering how much I have complained about hybrids, I was amazed.

Maybe thinking there are a lot of hybrids is the same as thinking that the lane next to you in stop/go traffic is always moving faster.

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 3:16pm
Actually, if you told me we could pass a law to eliminate 12% of the traffic on HOV I would be ecstatic. I think 12% is a bigger number than you think.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 3:39pm
From middle school math class ....
12% of A Lot = Still A Lot

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 4:00pm
Cool project.

Would be interested to see how much traffic has increased OVERALL (in the main lanes and HOV). Then compare the 12% increase to that number.

I think you'll find that the hybrids aren't on the road at the same time (some days/times it feels like that's all you see) and thus are unfairly singled out for tormenting and condemnation.

(People gotta realize that at peak rush hour you aren't going to fly home to Woodridge or the outter realms of the metropolitan universe at 80 mph!)
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 5:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by Undisclosed
[br]My daughter goes to a school which makes the kids to a senior thesis. After hearing me complain so much about hybrids, she did a study with some classmates. They observed HOV traffic on 33 different days for three hours each day over the course of five months at different locations and calculated the number of HOV's which were using the lanes.

The result? Only 12% of the vehicles were hybrids. While that's not "no effect" on traffic, it is a pretty small effect. Considering how much I have complained about hybrids, I was amazed.

Maybe thinking there are a lot of hybrids is the same as thinking that the lane next to you in stop/go traffic is always moving faster.

Pareto's Principle

In 1906, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto created a mathematical formula to describe the unequal distribution of wealth in his country, observing that twenty percent of the people owned eighty percent of the wealth.

Dr. Joseph Juran, working in the US in the 1930s and 40s recognized a universal principle he called the "vital few and trivial many" and reduced it to writing.

As a result, Dr. Juran's observation of the "vital few and trivial many", the principle that 20 percent of something always are responsible for 80 percent of the results, became known as Pareto's Principle or the 80/20 Rule.

Pareto's Principle, the 80/20 Rule, should serve as a daily reminder to focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work that is really important. Don't just "work smart", work smart on the right things.

Applied to traffic, Pareto's Principle says that one percent of the cars cause 99 percent of the congestion. Or as they say on the oasis, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Traffic flow is nonlinear. Sprecher's rule is linear. A little is good, more is better. Traffic flow is nonlinear. Politicians think linearly.

Traffic flow, in cars per hour, depends on the speed of individual cars in miles per hour and the density of cars in cars per mile. The product of speed and density is flow. What is tricky is that as density goes up, speed goes down. As cars get closer together, drivers slow down to compensate for the greater work load of scanning and making steering and speed change decisions.

For Shirley's reversible lanes, the target should be about 1,500 cars per lane per hour to maintain posted speeds of 65 MPH safely. That works out to about 220 feet per car, about 200 feet between cars. The road will look empty. Add one more car per lane and the speed slows. Ten miles back in the line, traffic comes to a standstill.

"Capacity", the greatest number of cars per lane per hour would be about 2,400 cars per lane per hour at about 45 MPH. One day in twenty will be breakdown congestion.

Watch the brake lights in the adjoining regular lanes. Do the brake lights come on at the same place, or is there a backward wave of brake lights?

The age of the student was not mentioned, but if they are high school seniors doing field studies, they should be aware of non-linearities and what causes them. Those 140 some drive alone clean fuel vehicles per lane are doing more harm in the reversible lanes than the relief they provide for the regular lanes.

Work it out. You can even use a sly drool, should the mood strike you.

Brought to you by Boyd's Blivets. Motto: We guarantee eight pounds in every five pound bag.

dickboyd@aol.com
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 6:37pm
To paraphrase an old Herman's Hermits hit.....
[:p] "He's a must to a-Boyd!" [:p]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 7:15pm
To paraphrase Mick Jagger:

Here comes the writer and his name is Boyd
He's got the script right in his hand
Talkin to the slugs
While he's checking out the band
His name isnt pretty
Not even the boils on his face
I feel like running
But there's no hiding place

Everybody getting high
High high high high high high
Boyds getting high
High high high high high high
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2005 at 8:51pm
I'm curious to know where she and her classmates did their "observation". If they went to a major commuter lot and counted the cars getting off there, the numbers would be very different than if they went to the Springfield, FSP, Lorton, Rte 1, or Dale City exits..

I suppose that the only "safe" place for students, or anyone, to do observation of traffic exiting HOV would be Horner Rd.

The number of Hybrids in HOV is easily 25%. Amazingly they only account for 5-6% of the people in HOV.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2005 at 8:40am
What grade did they receive?
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2005 at 9:13am
Actually local studies show the number to be around 25%. This was done with traffic cameras and such.

I think a more interesting study would be how many hybrids are single riders.

Say that of that 25% 1/2 are single riders. That gives you about 12.5% of all hov cars with only one rider. If that was to stop then you could reduce that 12% to where 8% less cars on HOV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic