Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

car temperature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 11:33am
This is a tough topic. First of all, when you get inside a vehicle on these hot days, you really don't know if the AC is operating properly. Before you can leave the vehicle you're on your way.
Secondly, I believe Pandora's box was opened when ridetodc opened the window. That lady could have "gone off" for operating her equipment without permission.
HybridDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HybridDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 11:39am
Wow this is a lot of bitching for something you essentially get for free. I have done the slug line once, picked up a nice guy (since I had the hybrid we didn't wait for a second). My wife picks up slugs everyday. Maybe you have ridden with her?

This bitching makes me wonder if all slugs are this unhappy with their rides or is this forum the exception? Makes me want to reconsider if *I* want to pick up slugs and have people griping about me in a public forum and posting my tag. Maybe drivers can post descriptions/photos of those blacklisted from riding? Consider that.

If you're in "poor health" it's YOUR JOB to ensure that you survive the conditions. Take VRE or the Omni Ride. Gambling on your ride home in the heat shouldn't be an option.

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 11:53am
No Hybriddriver, don't reconsider. Slugs are no problem. Most of these negative discussions result from "bad hair" days. Slugs don't really feel ungrateful. I've been doing this a long time and have never had a problem that affected me. Pick up as many slugs as you can take.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2005 at 10:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]New car here, nothing wrong with the AC, but after sitting in the sun all day on these 95+ degree days, it takes a long long time to cool off. Just life in the big city. Try living in Germany or Italy where AC is still considered an unnecessary luxury. Seriously, most BMWs, Benzs, and Porsches running up and down the Autobahns and Autostradas have no AC, no power windows, and manual transmissions.

WTH is wrong with a manual transmission? I've never owned an automatic and don't ever intend to own one. Neither of my current cars (Acura TL with 6-speed manual, RX-7 convertible with 5-speed) are difficult to drive in traffic, either....although sometimes in the Acura I get the odd slug who wants to splay out his legs so that I smack his knee when I shift to 5th/6th.

(Can't take slugs in the RX-7 since it's a two-seater)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 8:32am
GO USA!!! I love manual transmission, when my hubby and I got an automatic to share I still got in and reached for the clutch for MONTHS afterwards! They are better on gas and more fun!! (except in stop and go traffic when you are half asleep!)

:'}
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 11:34am
I see your point. i picked up riders on Friday and I had the windows (front) down and my sunroof open. I love riding around that way and it was 2:30 when i picked up my slugs so I felt that if I wanted the windows down i should have been able to. The man in the back asked if he could put the window down. I had no problem with that but I noticed the girl was being blown to death so i put the AC on and closed the windows. I had it on full blast but I do know that circulation isn't the best in the car.

I have done this before when someone had the heat on to high in the winter. I asked first if I could open the window and he really didn't want me to but I said please because the heat was making me sick.

I think if you ask nicely most people don't have a problem with the window. If they do just tell them that you feel like you might puke.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 12:06pm
hmmm, we can really talk things out and negate or reduce the negative effects? novel!

Sorry, sarcasm. It just drips out sometimes.

It seems to be a challenge for people to talk in many cases. People keep it bottled up, then blow up with a posting on the website. Interesting approach to life.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
610toCrystalCity View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610toCrystalCity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2005 at 2:06pm
When one mentions "blacklist" is there really a list somewhere to put drivers on???
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2005 at 7:36am
My ride was so cold this morning, I was sneezing. Goose bumps all the way...

:'}
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 2:35pm
I have to admit, there is a point in this. After standing in line for over 40 minutes the other day, I did not feel well at all. The ride had on very little A/C, and they chose not to turn it up. I sucked it up and rode in silence, only to get on my way home and have to stop and vomit. I've watched a rider stop a car after the driver pulled away w/o teeling the riders he had no AC. That to me is just rude. Do unto others and all that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic