Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

car temperature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridetodc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car temperature
    Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 1:22pm
I understand the rules about riders changing the a/c, but I feel the driver has an obligation to a reasonable temperature in the car. I have been slugging for years and drove with psycho driver today (black jeep VA tags ZCH 5967). I was in the back seat, outside temp was 90ish, sun beating in, and I ask her if she could either turn the a/c up or let me open the window. She mutters that the a/c was on (lowest setting possible), so I roll the window down, she rolls it up, I roll it down,etc....the witch finally locks the window so I sit in the sweltering car for the rest of the trip. Then the a/c starts making this loud noise so it clearly wasn't working properly and she still keeps the windows up. BIG difference in the temperature in front and back seats. Strongly recommend avoiding dingbat and would welcome comments...
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 1:43pm
In my opinion: after she said that a/c was on, you should have sat back, sulked and endured the short, uncomfortable ride. You were only opening Pandora's box when you rolled the window down.

NoSUV raised a valid point about US turning this website into a negative battleground with all the whining and complaining we've been doing lately about petty things. With the publicity that HOT has been getting, alot of folks will be visiting this website and it's not advantageous that we display all this negativity towards each other. We should instead try to convey cohesion and solidarity!

JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 2:02pm
I agree that we should all refrain from negativity, but in this case, I believe that ridetodc has a valuable complaint. It is wrong of you to assume, AveMaria, that it is a "short" ride home. When you slug down to Fredericksburg, the ride can last over an hour. If you kept a dog in a car with the windows rolled up and negligble amounts of AC for an hour, someone would call the police on the grounds that it is cruelty to animals. Have you noticed that there are heat advisories? I believe that when there are heat advisories in effect, every driver should keep in mind that their AC should be working properly, since there are many folks out there who are not healthy enough to endure a hot ride, and have a reasonable expectation to be in a car with air conditioning. It is easy to say that any slug can pass up any ride, but it's hard to know when someone pulls up whether or not their AC is working. Again, this all comes back to common courtesy.

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 2:11pm
As a rider I understand I do not have the right to expect an absolutely comfortable ride. But I DO have the right to expect to be treated as a human being. It's only common courtesy, after all, to run your AC on days like these. Or, if you don't want to or are unable to do so, tell people AS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP. Once you're on the road it's too late for me to get out. Give me a realistic chance at declining a ride.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 2:30pm
Ok, just mention it once and "blacklist" the driver as one slugs don't want to ride with again. No need to ramble on.

Mention specifics (like you partially did), add lot location and dropoff point.

Move on. Some people will be difficult in life. Ride with me. The left half has a temp control and the right does too.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 2:34pm
It makes you wonder how the "Have Nots" who can't afford air conditioned vehicles and homes actually survive under such inhumane conditions, huh? Not to mention what the homeless here in the area have to endure environmentally.

I should've never posted my comment.

Stick a fork in me -- I'm done!
ridetodc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridetodc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2005 at 2:54pm
AveMarie-

I think you are missing the point here. It's about consideration and common courtesy. Tell those that have died in Phoenix this past week about how trivial you think these complaints are about the heat. Or better yet, why not stop in the ERs on days like this and visit those with heart and lung conditions or heatstroke victims? You play a martyr well and the sarcasm is quite constructive.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 7:37am
New car here, nothing wrong with the AC, but after sitting in the sun all day on these 95+ degree days, it takes a long long time to cool off. Just life in the big city. Try living in Germany or Italy where AC is still considered an unnecessary luxury. Seriously, most BMWs, Benzs, and Porsches running up and down the Autobahns and Autostradas have no AC, no power windows, and manual transmissions.

I grew up on the gulf coast, with no AC in the house or cars. Thank God for windows that open and six dollar Kmart box fans. Unless you're in extremely poor health, you live through it.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 8:25am
Look, it's quite simple: if you're not going to run your AC, tell the riders before they get in your car. That's all we want - knowledge. Some riders really are "in extremely poor health" after all.

I'm not sure why it's relevant that many Europeans don't have AC in their cars. We aren't in Europe.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2005 at 8:50am
Better yet! Buy one of these small(7"x7") fans powered by 2 D alkaline batteries, they do wonders!!!
I have one for these occasions. Eventually, they might get the point. If not, at least you will be quite comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic