Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT is OK with Fairfax County

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOT is OK with Fairfax County
    Posted: 02 Aug 2005 at 6:46am
From the WTOP website this morning:

(Quote)Fairfax Co. Backs HOT Lanes for I-95
Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2005 - 6:41 AM

Hank Silverberg, WTOP Radio

FAIRFAX, Va. - Fairfax County has endorsed the concept of HOT lanes, provided the private contractors bidding on the project come up with a big share of the tolls for local governments and more park and ride lots for commuters.

HOT lanes would let vehicles with fewer than three people in them ride in the HOV lanes of Interstate 95 from Fredericksburg to the 14th Street Bridge, provided they pay to do so.

Supervisor Dana Kaufman says money that comes from HOT lanes would be used for mass transit.

The I-95 project still needs approval in Prince William and Stafford counties and in Fredericksburg.

Fairfax County has already endorsed a similar plan for HOT lanes on the Capital Beltway. (End Quote)

Keep on sluggin'!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2005 at 6:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]From the WTOP website this morning:

(Quote)Fairfax Co. Backs HOT Lanes for I-95
Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2005 - 6:41 AM

Hank Silverberg, WTOP Radio

FAIRFAX, Va. - SNIP

Supervisor Dana Kaufman says money that comes from HOT lanes would be used for mass transit.

SNIP(End Quote)

Keep on sluggin'!

Definitions. When you listen to a politician or real estate salesman, you need a thesaurus or dictionary to determine what they are really saying. For instance, when a real estate agent says a house is "quaint", that means there is no indoor plumbing.

When a politician says money will be for mass transit, he means his brother-in-law is out of work and can uses the job. Another defitiion of mass transit is that slugs are un American and deserve to be crushed. Another defintion of mass transit is that the barbarian hordes from prince William County are about to invade pristine Fairfax County in their slug vehicles. Get those wretched life forms into VRE before the world ends. Another definition of mass transit is that the people that voted for me are so stupid they will accept anything I say. What sarcastic definition of mass transit did I miss? [xx(]

Buy Boyd's Bees. You won't get stung.

dickboyd@aol.com
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2005 at 6:35pm
I certainly don't mind using revenue made from SOVs to finance improvements in Metro and VRE (or even small subsidies to bus companies to expand their services), but I just can't get behind HOT until they tell me how in the name of all that's holy, HOT is going to be able to determine that I have 3 riders versus a SOV without making us both stop at a toll gate to be counted.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 1:07am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]I certainly don't mind using revenue made from SOVs to finance improvements in Metro and VRE (or even small subsidies to bus companies to expand their services), but I just can't get behind HOT until they tell me how in the name of all that's holy, HOT is going to be able to determine that I have 3 riders versus a SOV without making us both stop at a toll gate to be counted.

What is your position on using revenue from SOVs to finance improvements for slugs? More convenient parking? Police patrols for parking? Advertising to get passengers? More convenient pick up and drop off points at the work place? Actually paying people to ride in someone else's car? A paid postion on the Commonwealth Transportation Board for a slug representative?

Where are slugs in your pecking order of where to make transportation investments?

Have you recruited a slug today?

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic