Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging Success Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvalleburke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:48pm
I've been slugging since October 2003, a co-worker from Dumfries told me about it that has been doing it for years. The only story I have is that winter 2003 it snowed one day like 4 inches and I picked up two gentlemen (I'm female) both going to Crystal City from the Tackett's Mill lot and they both looked at me and were very polite but one of them asked me how old I was (I'm young and I look younger than my age) I told him and he asked me how long I had been slugging and I told him 2 months at the time. He looked kinda freaked out because there was snow on the ground and thought I couldn't handle it in my Honda Accord. To make a long story short, I ended up getting them to CC safe and sound and then the same gentlemen turned around and told me as he got out that he was very thankful that I drove cautious and appropriate in the snowy weather and that he would ride with me again...never saw him again but I thought it was cool that he was kind enough to tell me that. That's my story.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 3:15pm
I've been slugging for 4 years now and I haven't had a "bad" experience. I can tolerate the A/C turned off in summer by using my peculiar method of cooling me off or the very heated car in winter by taking my jacket off before entering a car.(minor things) Overall, the majority of drivers are very considerate and courteous. I recommend slugging to everyone!
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 3:32pm
I've been slugging for about 4 years now and pretty much all of my experiences have been good. Nothing bad at all. All the exciting things that I hear about are all from this website. I have had the occassional AC/Heating issues, the sick driver/passenger...but nothing crazy that I complain about anymore. I still tell people that they need to either slug or start picking up slugs.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:33am
Slugging and driving in one form or another since 1994. A few minor annoyances (like, oops, we missed the Memorial Bridge turnoff, or blabbing cell-ulites) but 99.9% great.

What I like is talking to people about local issues: best daycare, road construction, school sports or whatever.

I also like discovering how inaccurate are the stereotypes we carry of other people. Just when I expect one thing from a person, they go and do the opposite!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 10:41am
Isn't it amazing though....Look at the other threads that have evolved since this one came on the forum (sure, go look, we'll wait...)

When WE think WE are basically "good people" (and I think many here would say they are a "good person"), how quickly we devolve into the mire and filth only looking for the worst in people and situations.

It's like people who rubberneck at accident sites hoping to catch a glimpse of someone laid out. The more twisted the metal the better, the more shattered glass, the better the pictures.

Had a slug tell me a story about being the first upon the scene of an overturned 18-wheeler. The truck had overturned off the road and onto the median, completely clear of traffic. As he and a couple others were helping the injured, DRIVERS were slowing down and snapping pictures and asking questions about the injuries. It was like some perverse horror story. The more gory, the better.

So, when anyone claims to be a "good person" think about that some. We are strange beings, drawn to the "dark side" rather than focusing on the positive. Maybe if we looked on the positive, we'd actually start to experience compassion and understanding in others.

That's one thing I really like about these spontaneous carpools. We get the opportunity to interact with ALL TYPES of people.

We grow as a result. We look for the good while seeing some of the bad. We can experience things through others that we won't ever have to(and don't ever want to).

That builds the "good" in us. We're less prone to gawk at an accident and more likely to feel compassion for those involved (even a minor fender bender).

It's about choices. Choose the positive and see what happens in YOUR life.

((nuff preachin'))

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
AHM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AHM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 3:18pm
My slugging experiences have been 99% great. I've meet some really interesting people and made some friends. The most bizarre experience was when the female slug sitting next to me on a commute home to 610 changed out of her wet clothes (we got picked up during a storm) into the dry clothes she brought along!
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 1:07pm
I've only been slugging for a few months. But so far it's been a good experience. I've had a few good conversations, met nice people. Except for state police occasionally blocking traffic, it works. Gets me to work more expediently than VRE
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:53pm
One evening last week after being dropped off, I got to my car and put the car windows down to let the heat out. I was standing just outside of the car making a quick call. The driver circled back around just to ask me if everything was ok. Very kind of him to do so. So many kewl people in the slugging community. [8D]
wmcg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:02pm
I'm a 2 year slug and love it. Wish I had done it my 1st 14 years of commuting. Not one bad experience. Lines are getting a little long...but I'm sure it's because of the usual miserable VRE experience and the cost of gas.
avparr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avparr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:19pm
I have slugged (off and on) for about 2 years now. I have had several good experiences. One of which occured last year. I picked up a few slugs on my way to the Pentagon. Come to find out one if the Drill Instructors who was drilling during my bootcamp. He sang the BEST cadence. So good that our DI's would halt our platoon just to hear him. I picked him up a couple of times. One time I asked if he would call some out, he did.

Earlier this week when the HOV lanes were open to everyone from that spill I rode with a couple of familiar faces. We had such a great conversation and we shared our funny slug stories. I WOULD LOVE to ride with them again.

If any of you are reading this................ let's take a moment and pray??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic