Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sales Tax Referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sales Tax Referendum
    Posted: 31 Aug 2002 at 2:51pm
Slugging is a transportation solution all by itself. That does not mean that those whose major means of commuting is slugging should be indifferent to efforts to reduce traffic congestion in the region. Those who favor voting for a 1/2 cent increase in our sales tax this Nov 5th will try to convince you that a "yes" vote will be a significant step toward reducing congestion and pollution. There are many individuals and groups who are urging a "no" vote precisely because we believe, and the evidence is bearing this out, that the best and the only way to come to a long-term solution is to defeat the referendum and send a clear message to the Governor and our legislators that they need to come up with solutions out of the billions of dollars already being collected. We urge you to study this complicated proposition by going to forums, checking out web-sites, etc, and then making a fully-informed decision on this issue that will mean the difference of 100's of dollars per year for the foreseeable future

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2002 at 4:40pm
As long as my taxes go to help extend the HOV lanes past route 610 I am in favor of it. I have heard about a study that was completed looking into the requirement or need for an extension. All one has to do is drive home any afternoon and you can see the real need for some relief in that area.

woodbridgeus1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2002 at 7:14pm
Resident of Stafford County will not vote on the Nov 5th referendum nor will any of the money raised be spent in Stafford County. So any decision to extend HOV lanes to RT610 will not have anything to do with the Nov 5th vote.

Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 6:58am
Those politicians who came out Tuesday morning to solicit votes from the sluggers (at the Horner lot) were really in the wrong place. For those of us who slug in to the general DC area, I would think we would OPPOSE the tax increase. Why? We already have a means of by-passing the "slow lane" and at NO cost. What benefit will this new tax provide for us? Are they going to add more lanes so more single drivers can clog the freeway? Are they going to add a Metro stop in Prince William County so we can PAY to park and PAY to ride to work? Give me a break!

TKest View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 11:52am
I will vote NO. Why give even more money for those knuckleheads who have with such consistency over the years grossly mismanaged the budget. It's criminal and one, after another, they get away with it, and WE pay. (I would vote YES to prosecuting all those in, and no longer in, such positions.)
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 1:09pm
Why do we have to have a tax increase? Instead they should be thinking on handle the money they have now in a more efficient
way.
In the remote case that they are right about it, why they were
trying to buy our votes with pastries and stuff?

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2002 at 12:01pm
This referendum is probably the most complicated issue ever presented to Virginia voters. The following Websites might help bring some answers to your questions, although some of the more important concerns of undecided voters have not yet been answered by those advocating a "Yes" vote. Vote "No" websites: www.pwtaxpaers.com, www.fcta.com, and www.stopsalestax.org. Vote "Yes" websites are www.cbt2002.com and www.nvta.org.

mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2002 at 12:53pm
quote:
Sorry - cant agree - yeah lots of money has gone down the tubes but we have to deal with here and now not with what has happened in the past.
Slugging is a transportation solution all by itself. That does not mean that those whose major means of commuting is slugging should be indifferent to efforts to reduce traffic congestion in the region. Those who favor voting for a 1/2 cent increase in our sales tax this Nov 5th will try to convince you that a "yes" vote will be a significant step toward reducing congestion and pollution. There are many individuals and groups who are urging a "no" vote precisely because we believe, and the evidence is bearing this out, that the best and the only way to come to a long-term solution is to defeat the referendum and send a clear message to the Governor and our legislators that they need to come up with solutions out of the billions of dollars already being collected. We urge you to study this complicated proposition by going to forums, checking out web-sites, etc, and then making a fully-informed decision on this issue that will mean the difference of 100's of dollars per year for the foreseeable future

swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2002 at 1:48pm
I dont know what a 1/2 a cent will do when they are 1.8 billion in debt looking for cut backs. Who says they will use it on roads and not get out of debt first. Also we still have car tax what about that promise. I will give my 1/2 cent to get rid of that.

Edited by - swichowski on 20 Sep 2002 13:50:36
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbridgeus1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 4:42pm
PLEASE CHECK OUT A BRAND NEW WEB-SITE REGARDING THE REFERENDUM--WWW.NOTAXHIKE.COM. LOTS OF ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTIONS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic