Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic report today Aug12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 8:46am
You just don't get it yet. The regular lanes will be much slower than they are now, as well as the HOT lanes barely moving. The proposed toll is 25 cents per mile, and people won't be slugging, riding busses, carpools, etc. if it's a lot slower than driving yourself.
Sticky Bandaid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 1:27pm
While there are changes in the wind for slugging, I believe vanpooling and carpooling will survive and even grow. One of the many reasons people ride, rather than drive, is, of course, economics. I have a carpool and it works extremely well. We three enjoy each other's company very much and the commute is mitigated greatly.

Peace Out
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 2:34pm
What would seem to make sense is for sluggers to start now to identify car pool possibilities. After all, if in the same commuter lot, perhaps you live next to someone going the same direction. With the price of gas rising and HOT around the corner, it makes sense to be prepared while people are standing in line next to you than waiting and trying to look them up.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 3:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]You just don't get it yet. The regular lanes will be much slower than they are now, as well as the HOT lanes barely moving. The proposed toll is 25 cents per mile, and people won't be slugging, riding busses, carpools, etc. if it's a lot slower than driving yourself.

You're right, I guess I don't get it. I guess I missed the paragraph in the proposal that reads:

"The purpose of the HOT lanes is to make commuting on the I-95 corridor even worse than it already is. Doing this will ensure that a majority of commuters will move away from DC and eventually make commuting tolerable. To accomplish the purpose of the HOT, our goal is to do away with slugging, carpooling, and vanpooling. Those methods of commuting only help and are not accepted in this proposal. Additionally, we will only charge $.25 per mile to drive on the HOT lanes and will not increase this price no matter how congested the HOT lanes get. Further, we will add a lane to the existing HOV lanes and extend the HOT lanes down to Spotsylvania. These additional of lanes will surely cause more gridlock. Finally, nobody will be allowed to use the main lanes of I-95. All drivers MUST use the HOT lanes in order to jam traffic to the fullest extent."

I swear...some of you people act like the above is in the proposal. Have you ever considered that maybe....YOU don't get it????

Sticky Bandaid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 3:27pm
While there are changes in the wind for slugging, I believe vanpooling and carpooling will survive and even grow. One of the many reasons people ride, rather than drive, is, of course, economics. I have a carpool and it works extremely well. We three enjoy each other's company very much and the commute is mitigated greatly.

Peace Out
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 6:05pm
KC,
I take it you haven't read the proposals. The proposed maximum toll is .25/mile in one and .28/mile in the other. How can you make it possible to allow people to buy their way onto the HOV lanes without congesting it, when it's congested already? A third lane will help some, but then the maximum speed can't be above 55 due to the design missing the safety features that exist on the HOV lanes now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic