Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic report today Aug12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic report today Aug12
    Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 8:39am

From Dale City entrance up to Springfield exit, at 7:20am, cruising at 70mph on HOV. However, folks from regular lanes were able to match same speed, some even faster.
Good for them.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 9:07am
Thought about that some. Yes, it was an "easier than normal" trip in for both lanes, but take it in context.

1. It's Friday
2. Wait until this afternoon's commute
3. The average commute time for today will still be about the same average commuting total for the day as most other days (barring any "significant events").

Tis nice to have mornings like this though...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 9:40am
That sound you hear is the ice sheet cracking.

Anyone else notice that Horner Road is suspiciously full of cars for an August? That the HOV lanes are more crowded than this time last year?

Like the withdrawing of the tide, or the stillness of the birds, these are signs of a storm a'brewing. Come September 7, she's going to be an ugly mother of a commute.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:20am
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br] That the HOV lanes are more crowded than this time last year?

Did you also notice that the regular lanes are more crowded than this time last year? Wonder how that happened?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:58am
It's called out of control growth by building homes/apartments on every single inch of land available. Until recently, I had not traveled Route 1 South between Dale City and Route 234. I couldn't believe all the homes that are being built. And to top it all off, our wonderful local Board of Supervisors recently approved two new developments on Route 1 right off of Dale Boulevard and Neabsco Mills Road. And the developers have agreed to widen Neabsco Mills to four lanes to take care of all the traffic. Yea right!!!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 11:56am
No duh the regular lanes are packed. That is kind of my point: the usual August easing hasn't happened yet. Used to be that you didn't even need HOV Nbound in the morning. Now one can't even use I95 to get to Horner on Fridays.

How much worse is it going to be after Labor Day....?

So how many of those unhappy drivers in the regular lanes noticed the line of 25 slugs standing at Horner in the 18th Street line today, nary a driver in sight? If the SOV's don't choose to pick people up, then they get what they deserve. Plenty of other people can do the math to see that picking up slugs saves time, even if the slug isn't going to your exact destination.

Each person who shares a ride removes a car from the overall system, which eases congestion for everyone. So we ride-sharers are already doing our part to ease congestion -- what are the SOV's doing? Mostly benefitting from our actions.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 12:31pm
25 slugs standing in line at Horner & 18th with nary a driver in sight??? Wow, that seems like a perfect opportunity for them to pair up into 8-9 cars and be on their merry way. Oh wait, that would take common sense and some sluggers would have to spend some money for their commute for once by being a driver instead. I bet that didn't happen....LOL.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 12:52pm
As a matter of fact, sometimes slugs do pair up in cars if drivers are not in sight.
We didn't invent the system. It was established long time ago, so why not use it if the system really works?
I used to ride the bus but I found out that I saved half an hour of commute time if I didn't, and why not, saved me some $$$.
Now, the question would be, why is it that drivers in the regular lanes are reluctant to pick-up or become slugs themselves?

Edit:
P.S. mmm...never mind.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 1:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]
Now, the question would be, why is it that drivers in the regular lanes are reluctant to pick-up or become slugs themselves?

Reasons to not pick up slugs:
1) Maybe they don't know slugs exist?
2) Maybe they don't want strangers in their vehicle?
3) Maybe they like to listen to their radio really loud?
4) Maybe they have to smoke in their car?
5) Maybe they don't want to give people a free ride?
6) Maybe it would be too far out of their way to make it worth it?
7) Maybe they are stupid?
8) Maybe their car wouldn't seat 3 comfortably?

Reason to not become a slug:
1) Maybe they don't want to feel like a hitch-hiker/beggar?
2) Maybe they like the feeling of "hoping" they get a ride to work or home?
3) Maybe it's not convenient for them?
4) Maybe they work in a place that isn't condusive to slugging?
5) Maybe their work hours aren't during regular slugging hours?
6) Maybe they need their car during the day?
7) Maybe they don't like to be in the car with strangers?
8) Maybe they like to drive?

Who knows...it could be a million different reasons. To them, they ask "Why in the world do people slug or pick-up slugs."
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 1:14pm
Fair enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic