Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mine rd. lines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avparr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mine rd. lines
    Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 10:03am
[?]Do you think it's about time to divide up the slug line. For the last week or so the line has been so long. Since there are a ton of Pentagon slugs should we divide up the line into two (downtown/Pentagon)?[?]
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 10:48am
At a minimum the Mine Road lot slug line should be reversed. Put the head of the line where the tail is now and vice versa. That makes so much more sense as every little amount of time for folks to walk to the vehicle compounds down the line of cars waiting to pick folks up.

This was discussed in another thread and someone trounced the idea. It's time for a slug line "supervisor" to facilitate it.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
avparr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avparr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2005 at 11:04am
That can work as well. So what is the next step? Flyers?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 6:59am
avparr,

Flyers would be a good step. Of course if the first couple people there in the morning around 6 would just move down towards the other end of the median and tell folks as they walk up that the line has reversed, it might just catch on.

NoSb

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2005 at 4:27pm
Been gone for almost 2 weeks and this just hasn't happened yet, eh?

NoSb

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 8:29am
I'm about done picking up at Mine Road. Seems none of the slugs want to take the time to get the line turned around to make it more efficient. This morning was not the smoothest operation of a slug line I've seen. I guess I'll be going over to the old lot to pick up.

Had to wait behind 2 cars since their slugs took their time piling in the cars--it was a very long wait. Had the line been reversed, people would hear me calling my destination and more likely to walk to the vehicle to start loading rather than wait for me to pull forward.

I'll give the mine road lot a chance this week, then I'm going where I know the line works more efficiently. There's plenty of slugs going where I'm going and I don't need to cater to slugs who won't take the initiative to 1) turn the line around and 2) walk the extra bit to the car.

Yeah, I don't rant often, but for some reason this week, I've had 3 jump in without invitation (on 2 days in a row--it's only Tuesday!), slugs slamming doors (at least I have a good enough vehicle to withstand the abuse), and slugs continually talking on cell phones/taking calls with the ringers turned on (scared me when the loud ringer went off yesterday right behind me).

I'd hoped to be done with this commute by now, but it hasn't panned out. I'll make the most of it and minimize frustrations by educating what appear to be new slugs and go to lots where the lines work more efficiently.

NoSb

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 5:12am
I was very willing to go to another lot. Was all set to make the switch then someone took the initiative and made the change.

Like so many things in life, we resist change because we'd rather stT

NoSb

avparr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avparr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 8:30am
N/S bound - Where do you drop/pick up in DC?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 8:39am
Anywhere from Pentagon to Old Town Alexandria.

I've been doing the CC thing lately which seems to be working.

NoSb

sbaumgar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbaumgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 6:55pm
Yes, someone made the change -- now instead of one line that moved in the am, now we've got two that sit there because there is no room for two lines on one median -- great job!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic