Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV
    Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 10:29am

What do you think about extending the HOV hours until 6:30pm?

It occurred to me because ever since I started slugging I have seen so many people violating the HOV as early as 5:30pm, sometimes even earlier. I think it is a good idea because these people will be forced to pick up slugs after 5:30pm, and the HOV will be more fluid after 6:00pm.

Need your comments.

Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 11:12am
I would like to see the morning HOV restriction start at 5:30am IN ADDITION to the evening restriction being extended to 6:30pm

Margo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 11:41am
6:30pm makes alot of sense, particularly since the time that the HOV lanes have been extended so far past Springfield. Someone told me that initially when the HOV lanes stopped at Springfield, the HOV lanes were in effect until 6:30pm, but that there were so many complaints from the single drivers back then, (they wrote their local representatives), the hours were changed to 6:00pm! The whole idea of carpooling apparently was not as important as the happiness of the representatives' single driver constituents. To have a chance at changing the hours, numbers count -number of people submitting complaints. That's how it got changed before. Delegates/representatives, whatever, are going to please the majority.
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 1:04pm
Very well. It seems that the only way to change it is to submit our thoughts to our local representatives.

Thank you all for your responses!

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 8:09am
Extending the times for the HOV lanes is a good idea or better yet how about enforcing the times that are in effect now! I get sick and tired of seeing the lanes clogged at 6:15 in the morning or at 5:30 in the evening with HOV violators. Get the highway patrol to do their job and enforce the requirements and we wont have to worry about tax increases either!

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 9:40am
Emmancilla-
Who is it that you are going to write to, or contact about HOV? I'll join the effort by writing or calling the same office. I'm all for anything we can do to extend the lane, enforce current HOV times or extend existing times. The traffic is already getting on my nerves and I'm a fairly new Stafford commuter!
Patricia
610/Stafford

Patricia
Stafford/610
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 11:33am
Dear Patricia,

I am working on it. As soon as I get all the information I will let you guys know. United we can make the difference!

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 12:56pm
Mr. Loren W. Epton, Jr.
District Traffic Engineer
14685 Avion Parkway
Chantilly, Virginia 20151-1104
(703) 383-2404
Loren.Epton@VirginiaDOT.org

I sent an email to the above individual this morning lodging my complaint about the traffic congestion at the end of southbound HOV and requesting info on plans for extention of the lanes. Maybe we could bombard him with emails about the congestion, expanding HOV times and other subjects that would assist with the traffic problems.

Patricia
Stafford/610
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2002 at 1:15pm
Thanks for posting the contact information Patricia. I will definitely be sending an email today with regards to extending the HOV restrictions until 6:30. As lmura pointed out, it just doesn't make any sense that the evening hours should shorter than the ones in the morning. Not only are we working longer, but our commutes are getting longer too. And if the HOV is extended further south, then they will have to extent the restrictions until 6:30.

I think that everyone who reads this topic should send an email Mr. Loren Epton so our voices will be heard.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2002 at 11:07am
I am sorry that I failed in giving you guys the info you need to send all our complains regarding the HOV times. Unfortunately I was quite busy at work. I think Patricia did a great job in finding the contact information. Thank you for your effort Patricia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic