Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"8 Mile Backup" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "8 Mile Backup" ?
    Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 7:50am
Just heard on the radio that there's an 8-mile HOV backup from Va 7100 south due to "HOV enforcement" at 7100. [V]
That must be why we're waiting for a couple of our officemates who live in Dumfries and Stafford to get to work. [:(]
HOV's were easy drive from Va 644 to P'gon at 6:20 this morning. [^]
[?] How was your commute in today? [?]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 7:57am
The commute took an hour and a half from Stafford. They had about 30 cop cars participating in the enforcement this morning, and I think they had 4 violators when we came by. It makes you wonder about the effectiveness and the timing of the enforcement since alot of people take this week off anyway. Oh well, hopefully this is a once in a blue moon event. I had never seen them back up the way to DC for enforcement like that. I think its alot more tolerable on the way home than on the way to work...
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 7:57am
Don't ever accuse the State Police of being brain surgeons. I am all for HOV enforcement but that wasn't the way to do it. There was a checkpoint at 644, on both shoulders. Had to be at least 15 State Police vehicles and 20-25 State Police checking each car. Problem was, 3/4 of them were standing around with their thumb up their butt shooting the breeze. Your VA tax dollars at work. Delayed me about 40 minutes getting in.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 7:59am
Sure did enjoy my 25 minute commute to work this morining. It's nice to live close to work in this area!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:22am
When VA State Police call my house again this year begging for their donations....I am going to remind them of this day and how they already cost me $15 for missing 1/2 hr. of work.

Booyakasha!!!
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:26am
Just so we understand: When people complain about the back up today what is YOUR solution to the issue of how to enforce? On several of the ramps violators can avoid the enforcement by turning around. At least this way more (in theory) can be caught. Is your objection the FACT of the enforcement or the NUMBER of idle-looking police?
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:29am
I didn't say I had an objection. I'm all for enforcement.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:34am
The problem here is the violators, not the enforcement. This reminds me of a little story. A man gets pulled over by the police for speeding, The officer then makes a request for his credentials and the man says "Hey, other people were speeeding also." The officer then says "You ever been fishin'?" The man replies "Lots of times." The officer then replies "You ever catch all the fish?"
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:35am
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]Just so we understand: When people complain about the back up today what is YOUR solution to the issue of how to enforce? On several of the ramps violators can avoid the enforcement by turning around. At least this way more (in theory) can be caught. Is your objection the FACT of the enforcement or the NUMBER of idle-looking police?

No objection to enforcement, but this was overkill and just plain stupid. You would have thought there was a terrorist alert on the HOV the number of wasted assets there. Random presence in the HOV by police actively looking and pulling people over is much more efficient and less disruptive to the legal HOV cars and traffic flow. Knowledge of regular presence without a massive checkpoint is the way to deterrence.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 8:40am
Considering many vehicles have tinted windows, are going 70 mph or more, or have someone laying down in the backseat, it's hard to watch every vehicle speed past. Predictable enforcement allows violators to find the loopholes. I agree a backup is bad, but the random traps are probably most effective. It would be nice to see how many are ticketed daily. I've heard a lot of statistics. Let's see the numbers please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic