Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"8 Mile Backup" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:06am
My problem is not the enforcement but come on ....do you need that many cops? Then there is the timing, why not do it on a Friday afternoon when traffic is backed up anyway? I understand the surprise element but all they did this morning is give drivers a reason to slow down and wonder why the heck they need 30 cops to pull people over.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:30am
Enforcement: good

The way enforcement went down today: bad

Honestly, it doesn't make much sense to enforce like this if the extra time you will cause commuters is more than the extra time caused by cheaters.

The only positive for an event like this is the hope that a massive show of force will deter future cheaters.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:51am
Like I say vote HOT!!!!!!!! Violations will be reduced meaning reduced enforcement since the violators will now be paying!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, I will enjoy my less than 1/2 hour commute each day!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:54am
WHAT?!! This is what the "police activity" was this morning? Just another random checkpoint HOV crackdown? We sat for nearly an hour from Potomac Mills to Lorton! I was over an hour late to work! Here I am thinking it was some accident or incident and it was just poor judgement to catch violators? Why can't they just stick to being at the ramps, that's way less disruptive. I agree with cdatkins...enforcement-good, this method-bad.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:54am
When we got on HOV this morning, the Potomac Mills onramp was backed up, just sitting still. I was 30 min late to work this morning. I was told that they brought the lanes down to single file at Newington with 15 officers on the ground - that is what WTOP reported. They said they were there for 1.5 hours. Once traffic got backed up, they left. I don't see what was wrong w/ having officers at the onramps. That seemed effective to me. Having them at only one place to catch people from further south seems distracting and of course causes back ups from people stopping/slowing and just plain ole' nosey people slowing down to take a look. The guy I rode in with this morning put in a call to the state police and they said they will be doing this more often and we are all lucky they didn't stay until 9:00 a.m. They told him this is the way they deemed most effective and they didn't see the problem in an ocassional backup. I sure hope they don't do this again and cause this traffic. This is going to be a major problem once school starts and there are more cars on the road.
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 9:57am
I just saw this on WTOP: http://www.wtop.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=555388
msticaries View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:20am
Okay it makes sense to have to have the violator in the lanes before they can ticket, BUT how many exits from HOV are there between Dumfries and DC? three? four? so why not wait for them on the exit ramps. If they are exiting they have been in the lanes. :)

KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:30am
[sarcasm] Think about it....if they continue to do this that would be a perferct deterence. They keep backing up the HOV like this and nobody will WANT to violate because it would be slower in the main lanes. In addition, carpoolers and vanpoolers will start using the main lanes because it is faster. Enforcement by removing the advantage of the HOV lanes. Pure genius!!!! [/sarcasm]
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:35am
Well for what its worth, I just sent my 2 cents off via email to the State Troopers. Hopefully if enough people complain, they may not do this again and will go back to just waiting at the on-ramps or come up w/ some other solution that hopefully won't stop traffic dead in its place.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 10:40am
quote:
Originally posted by msticaries
[br]Okay it makes sense to have to have the violator in the lanes before they can ticket, BUT how many exits from HOV are there between Dumfries and DC? three? four? so why not wait for them on the exit ramps. If they are exiting they have been in the lanes. :)

Because if they wait to do the busting at the off-ramps, all of you who complain about the backups from enforcement/no enforcement down south will complain about being backed up at the off-ramps. The boys in blue can't win!!!

My suggestion... If you think you can do a better job enforcing the HOV, quit your current job, earn the badge, and put your plan in action. In the meantime, be grateful for the enforcement. You guys say there isn't enough of it as is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic