Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"8 Mile Backup" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 1:48pm
If the law is a problem, it can be changed.

And is it really the law that a person is not violating HOV until they are actually ON HOV? If that was the case, what have the police been doing when they set up their stings on the entrance and exit ramps?

But if the law really is a problem, you can either:

a) make it a violation to be on an HOV entrance ramp in addition to the HOV, or;

b) make a new offense called "Attempted HOV violation" to write for single riders on entrance ramps during HOV hours.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:00pm
I am NOT defending violators, but think about it logically: How can I be convicted of being on the HOV lanes illegally until I am actually ON the HOV lanes?
Granted, it's a very nitpicky (technical legal term) interpretation.

Then again, it is confusing because we have ALL seen on-ramp enforcement. I wonder what gives?
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:39pm
If you are on the HOV On-Ramp and you are not driving a Hybrid and do not have 3 people in your vehicle.....you have every intention of breaking the law!

If you are coming off of the HOV lanes and you are not driving a Hybrid and do not have 3 people in your vehicle.....you have broken the law!

I was late to work this morning as well and I agree that enforcement could have been handled differently. However, if you start attacking the methods of the State Police you risk losing their support and the HOV lanes will again become overcrowded with violators.
msticaries View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:49pm
Look at it this way, every time I want to kill one of my kids, it could be argued that I INTEND to kill them, but until I acutally do. . . thus one must be in the HOV Lanes before being ticketed.

A friend of mind has a hybrid without the clean fuel plates and last week as she was exiting the HOV lanes she was stopped and told to get her plates because they are going to start ticketing the hybrids without clean fuel plates.

shahedC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shahedC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 2:53pm
msticaries, when the car is entering the ramp, they have no choice but to enter the HOV, they can't back out, right?

If you were going to harm one of your children, hypothetically speaking, it's true that you won't be guilty of anything until you actually do..... but the car analogy would be comparable if you said that you fired a gun at your child, and the bullet was on its way to hitting the person. At that point, you are so far gone, that you already guilty of the crime about to be committed, there's no backing out.

Someone getting on the ramp not only did so with the intention of getting on HOV, but is also unable to go any other place but HOV.

Agreed?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:02pm
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]msticaries, when the car is entering the ramp, they have no choice but to enter the HOV, they can't back out, right?

If you were going to harm one of your children, hypothetically speaking, it's true that you won't be guilty of anything until you actually do..... but the car analogy would be comparable if you said that you fired a gun at your child, and the bullet was on its way to hitting the person. At that point, you are so far gone, that you already guilty of the crime about to be committed, there's no backing out.

Someone getting on the ramp not only did so with the intention of getting on HOV, but is also unable to go any other place but HOV.

Agreed?

I can agree. Hmm wonder if it would hold up in Court? Never mind I don't want to test it. :)

I think they should be ticketed entering the HOV just as if they were already in the lanes. I do however think it would be easier to have the officers at the exit ramps all the way down the HOV corridor.

btw, I would never harm any of my children. :)
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:09pm
INCREASE THE HOV FINES!!!

1st offense $500 + court costs
2nd offense $1000 + court costs
3rd offense lose license for 2 months + 2 points on driving record

Ok, maybe this is a little extreme, but something needs to change. Obviously some people are willing to risk a $50 ticket for a first offense. There would be a lot less violators if it were $500! Those [:o)] would think twice.

koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:16pm
Well I got my response to my email. They were pretty quick. Here it is:

Lieutenant Colonel E.A. Stockton, Director of the Bureau of Field Operations for the Virginia State Police asked that I thank you for and respond to your e-mail of August 18, 2005 concerning HOV enforcement.
I regret your displeasure with the State Police regarding HOV enforcement.

Please be assured that it is not the intent of the State Police to impede the flow of traffic, or disrupt the commute for law abiding motorists in the HOV lanes.

In response to growing public complaints and an increased frequency of HOV violations we implemented a program to increase enforcement and visibility on the HOV lanes to address those violators who routinely use the HOV lanes for their commute. This enforcement initiative has been effective, and well received in the Northern Virginia region by motorists who legally utilize the HOV lanes routinely.

I am forwarding a copy of your e-mail to our Division Headquarters in Fairfax to make them aware of your concerns regarding the enforcement methodology utilized to identify violators.

Bud Cox
Business Manager
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
Bud.Cox@vsp.virginia.gov
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpotsySlugBug
[br]INCREASE THE HOV FINES!!!

1st offense $500 + court costs
2nd offense $1000 + court costs
3rd offense lose license for 2 months + 2 points on driving record

Ok, maybe this is a little extreme, but something needs to change. Obviously some people are willing to risk a $50 ticket for a first offense. There would be a lot less violators if it were $500! Those [:o)] would think twice.

I believe it's $150 first offense and 2 points on your driving record. :)
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2005 at 3:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]It would have been worth it if I had seen one of the Hybrids without proper credentials pulled over, but I didn't.

I guess I was lucky that it was only backed up to Lorton at 6:30.

I saw a white 2005 Prius without CF/CX plates pulled over just south of Springfield this morning. Oops, it made me smile!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic