Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"8 Mile Backup" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 8:04am

Article on yesterday's fiasco in the Fredericksburg paper (Friday)

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/082005/08192005/123296
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 8:34am
A poll ....

[?] With all this publicity on enforcement, do you think the number of violators will drop significantly? [?]

[^] In our commute from Burke this morning we didn't see a single violator between the VA644 on-ramp and the P'gon. [^]

[:)] Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 9:30am
OK, so can you stand a post from a biker who regularly runs HOV from Stafford? I (thankfully) opted to run the mainline yesterday morning. Turned out to be a good idea. I felt for all of the bikers trapped in the HOV lanes, sidled along the shoulder letting their scoots cool. Ridiculous.
Personally, I would like to see lane splitting legalized on HOV. Similar accommodations are in place in California. For certain you can count on this happening the next time the State Police resort to such buffoonery. (The old 'fool me once' addage comes to mind here.)Course, if similar enrcement strategies are utilized beyond next July 1, we all may not even notice.
Ride on.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 9:30am
The radio said they ticketed 52 cars. Today I saw two more.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 9:44am
Hey Wolf,
You ever tried lane splitting in CA? I really had to watch peoples mirrors - they would open doors on you just to be butt heads.

Legalizing riding the shoulders might be safer.
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 10:25am
Yes. On a visit to a friend's place in Sacremento few years ago. The experience WAS nerve wracking. Certainly shoulders would be preferable.
SpotsySlugBug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpotsySlugBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 10:47am
Msti -- yes, regarding the fines. maybe their website needs to be updated....or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part... [;)]

quote:
Originally posted by msticaries
[br]Spotsy, you checked the VDOT website re: fines?

Moody: If you have kids tell me you have NEVER once thought of killing the little boogers. not that I ever would. :)

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 11:13am
Forgive my non-biker ignorance, but what is lane splitting? I know what I think it sounds like, but I think I'm better served by actually asking people with knowledge... :)
RCA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 11:16am
Considering I saw at least 4 violators drive smooth past the police picnic - I'd say the strategy was flawed. I saw more officers waiving signs and laughing with each other than observing the lanes. I even saw a motorcycle cop on the left shoulder flying past traffic with siren blazing JUST TO GET TO THE PICNIC that his fellow officers were so graciously holding. Now, I'm not saying it's the indians fault for doing what the chiefs order them to do - and I'm not saying that HOV enforcement is a bad thing...but when you gridlock a 10 mile stretch of highway simply because your plan of execution was flawed I do have a problem.

I read on a previous post that Officers can't pull over drivers on "on ramps" that is wrong. That would be like saying "I saw the guy jimmy the lock and get in the car, but he never actually drove away in it" or " I saw the guy walk into the bank with a handgun but he didn't attempt to rob anyone"...Does that mean all those folks I see everyday pulled over on the Woodbridge HOV exit shouldn't be allowed to be ticketed - I mean TECHNICALLY they are not on the HOV anymore...

If there are cars entering the HOV without 3 riders - and you can't ticket them - the least you could do is SERVE THEM a plate of information and PROTECT them from violating the law - but TURNING THEM AROUND...or make them sit there until traffic is free and clear and they can back out.

Either way - locking up the HOV at that over-pass.......priceless.
RCA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2005 at 11:23am
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]msticaries, when the car is entering the ramp, they have no choice but to enter the HOV, they can't back out, right?

If you were going to harm one of your children, hypothetically speaking, it's true that you won't be guilty of anything until you actually do..... but the car analogy would be comparable if you said that you fired a gun at your child, and the bullet was on its way to hitting the person. At that point, you are so far gone, that you already guilty of the crime about to be committed, there's no backing out.

Are you kidding me? No pun intended. There is a thing called "Conspiracy to Commit" and people are prosecuted with it ALL THE TIME!

Someone getting on the ramp not only did so with the intention of getting on HOV, but is also unable to go any other place but HOV.

Agreed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic