Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My gas costs: WERE $400+ a month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 8:21am
I understand that, Miltrade. However, the question still remains: Will our shift away from oil be a gradual one (the best idea) or a sudden change made necessary by a crisis (how we tend to do things)? The trick is to change BEFORE we get to the edge of the cliff.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 9:24am
I've got IT! Why don't we invade IRAQ! Oh, sorry, we already did. Didn't work.
How about CANADA! or MEXICO! (see below)

"Petroleum Imports/Exports
The United States averaged total net oil (crude and products) imports of an estimated 11.8 million bbl/d during January-October 2004, representing around 58% of total U.S. oil demand. Crude oil imports from Persian Gulf sources averaged 2.4 million bbl/d during that period. Overall, the top suppliers of crude oil to the United States during January-October 2004 were Canada (1.6 million bbl/d), Mexico (1.6 million bbl/d), Saudi Arabia (1.5 million bbl/d), Venezuela (1.3 million bbl/d), and Nigeria (1.1 million bbl/d). "
http://www.eia.doe.gov/cabs/usa.html

Interesting that 42% of our fuel consumption has nothing to do with imports.
Well, at least we can rest assured that we are not being gouged by the energy companies. They feel our pain and are willing to share the burden during these difficult times.

"Twenty-five major energy companies reported overall net income (excluding unusual items) of $20.4 billion on revenues of $248.7 billion during the first quarter of 2005 (Q105). The level of net income for Q105 was 44 percent higher than in the first quarter of 2004 (Q104) (Table 1). Net income for Q105 increased primarily as a result of higher crude oil and natural gas prices, higher demand from the United States and the other countries comprising the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), higher refinery throughput, and higher refining margins.

Overall, the petroleum line of business (which includes both oil and natural gas production and petroleum refining/marketing) registered a 30-percent increase in net income between Q104 and Q105. A 27-percent increase in oil and gas production net income was augmented by a 40-percent increase in refining/marketing net income."
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/perfpro/news_m/index.html

Feel better now?
Well, heck, Let's just blame the President and be done with it.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
hexizera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hexizera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 10:04am
Not how anyone would have prevented.. but how we can work to keep them from increasing!
hexizera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hexizera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 10:13am
Carleric and all,
As much as I may disagree with the current US foreing policy, I can blame the president only little about oil prices increasing.... I am more upset at our own consumption habits....Why do we have to have everything big...
Big SUVs carrying only 1 person... Hammers! not only Hammers but tax loopholes that allow tax cuts for Hammer purchases.
Carleric.. yes.. there is limited amount of finite resources and yes I agree with you that unfortunetely we as a society won't take initiative until it hurts us individually
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 10:47am
I blame the President. I blame the Dems and I blame the Repubs. I blame me. And I blame you. Really, there's enough blame to go around. It is impossible to pin on one man, as much as I'd like to (REALLY not a W fan, but blaming it solely on him is far too simplistic). We all agree "something" should be done, we talk the good talk, but in the end, we do nothing; and I am just as guilty of this as everybody else.
Push comes to shove, we LOVE our cars.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 1:02pm
Roadrunner you are so RIGHT!!!!!!!!! No matter what gas prices are people will pay. Really there's no choice in the matter since people have to use their vehicles to get where they are going.

That's the nice thing living close into the city(for me at least), I can walk to the metro rail, walk to the grocery store, and really basically walk to where ever I need to. Gets me my excercise and I can avoid paying those high gas prices(last time I filled up on gas was 5 weeks ago!!!!!!!!)

SO LET THE PRICES SKYROCKET!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S REALLY THE ONLY WAY TO FORCE PEOPLE TO CHANGE!!!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2005 at 1:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br] We all agree "something" should be done, we talk the good talk, but in the end, we do nothing; Push comes to shove, we LOVE our cars.

And there you have it. Virginia actually did something - created the hybrid exemption. Legislation can help us make more responsible choices. Imagine if ONLY hybrids and busses were allowed in the express lanes - the fuel consumption for this area would drop dramatically.
EnufisEnuf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnufisEnuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2005 at 4:04pm
How are hybrids good? Isn't the idea to get more cars off the road? So if we all bought a hybrid and jumped on HOV that would make things more efficient and better for the environment and lower gas prices? I don't see where you are going w/ this. Please explain.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2005 at 4:47pm
Enuf - you gotta read the whole post, not just part of it. Hybrids have to be combined with busses only in the express lanes. After all, the stats from pre-1974 show tremendous success at reducing # cars with busses only in the express lanes.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 3:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]Just be grateful you are not living in Europe and paying $6-$7/gallon. Personally, I wish gas would increase to $5/gallon. It would really make more people to consider slugging and carpooling. I know I would limit my trips and combine my errands more. Gas is like bottled water...people will pay--no matter the price.

Only thing is.....medical care comes with that gas price. Most of that cost is tax. Most European countries have nationalized medical care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic