Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rising Fuel Cost and HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 4:49pm
I know, you're so easy to fire up....which works in my favor for that date! [:X] I'm ready whenever you are baby!
natx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2005 at 4:56pm
I am uhura, enuf, flat, and spongebob.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 7:35am
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Wolf
[br] Personally, I'd like to see just as significant jump in the opportunities presented by the feds (and private) to telecommute. This is where the solution lies.
Oh, and the SOV dance card for hybrids? It's nearing expiry, trust me.

Unfortunately, the expiration of the hybrid exemption will only increase the momentum for toll roads. Overall congestion will remain a problem even with gas prices rising, and the regular lanes will have heavier traffic than the Express (HOV) lanes. Hybrid exemption helps balance that problem - tolls will as well. If you don't have one, you get the other.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 8:10am
Traffic conjestion is only going to get worse. Deal with it. The majority of the jobs are here in NOVA and DC. Either quit your job and find a job closer to home, which I'm sure will pay less, move out of state and find a job in a less conjested area, again a job that will pay less, or move closer in. GET OVER IT!!!!! Gas will continually go up. JUST DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

ALSO, ENUF, I BET YOU NEVER EVEN VOTED!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
3-For-HOV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-For-HOV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 8:57am
quote:
Originally posted by koakui
[br]Didn't someone else say let's slug baby? Isn't that slogan taken? Enuf - are you that other person who used to post that saying? Maybe Enuf has many personas? How about flatuentsluggerhugger? Isn't that you? Hmmm? Enuf may be Uhura in hiding. Imagine the possibilities!

OMG! I was just thinking about the phrase and that Pete P. Peters always used it on his posts! LOL!!!!
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 10:07am
NoSUV, The fact is most hybrid buyers just want to use HOV. If the exemption expires, I think they will go back to ridesharing/slugging/public transporation rather than sit in the regular lanes.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 11:55am
quote:
Originally posted by coulbc
[br]NoSUV, The fact is most hybrid buyers just want to use HOV. If the exemption expires, I think they will go back to ridesharing/slugging/public transporation rather than sit in the regular lanes.

coulbc, if that were true, you could say the same thing about the drivers in the regular lanes - yet they don't go for ridesharing/slugging/public transportation. No, I'm afraid that traffic increases (flatu's poorly written input) from additional commuters only increases congestion both in the "Express" (HOV) and regular lanes. Because WITH hybrids the Express lanes move faster (usually 35 mph or more) than regular lanes, ending the exemption only exasperates the difference in travel time, and HOT equalizes them. Extending the exemption is the only way to slow the inevitable move to HOT (and, as Sponge points out, tolls for all).
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 2:36pm
Well...........

Afraid I have to agree with Coulbc on this one, NoSUV.
Your comment.....
quote:
....if that were true, you could say the same thing about the drivers in the regular lanes - yet they don't go for ridesharing/slugging/public transportation.

It's because the habitual riders in the mainline haven't TASTED IT YET !!! (The HOV lanes, that is.) When the hybrid drivers are confronted with the prospect of being tossed out of HOV-land and forced to co-exist with the commuting vermin in the mainline, I believe the majority will do whatever necessary to run with a couple extra riders. It'll be a sluggers paradise.... at first. But I do see a downside. Hear me out.
While I do believe that there are many within the hybrid owning community who are sincere in their enviro-mindset, where the free ticket into the HOV lanes is a bonus, many (I'd say the majority) purchased their little cars on the promise of breezing into work, unobstructed AND ALONE. I'd suggest most are categorically type 'A's, refugees from some earlier organized carpools or vanpools, likely having experienced unfortunate situations leading to their hastily executed separation. (Don't laugh, I know of two such single minded hybrid owners/drivers who in fact experienced such involuntary separations from earlier carpools.) Bottom line: the word 'slugging' as we know it (on this board) could, one day in the not too distant future, take on a more literal meaning. Let's hope not.

Additional fallout? Here's another: Once the exemption IS lifted, I wonder how many slimey car salesmen will hear from (equally slimey)lawyers seeking damages for hybrid owners who at time of purchase recieved the promise of eternal HOV nirvanna. That'll be fuuuuun to watch, and even more fuuuuun to dicuss out here on this here board.
lw - Ride On
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 3:20pm
Look people, why keeping discussing this type of subject? Traffic is only going to get worse. All this road work being done at the mixing bowl or Wilson Bridge(by the way whoever/whomever decided to keep the draw bridge instead of a high arched bridge is the stupidest person(s) around, I guess they want to wait in even more traffic when ships pass through!!!!!!)

Anyway, traffic has been here, is here, and will continue to be here. If you can't stand the traffic then as I said in my previous post, GET A JOB CLOSER TO HOME, MOVE OUT OF STATE TO A LESS CONJESTED AREA, OR MOVE CLOSER TO YOUR CURRENT JOB. Why beat this subject to death????

You think traffic sucks now, wait until they take the civilian government workers out of Crystal City and place them at Ft. Belvoir(pretty sure the majority are going there). You think traffic sucks now going up I-95 wait until they move them. I don't think a majority of sluggers go to Ft. Belvoir so that's several more thousand drivers added who now probably slug into Crystal City already.

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2005 at 8:21pm
Hey Flat,
Does it occur to you that there are some out here who appreciate the opportunity (and ability) to exchange ideas with respect to our desire to help each other out on the way to dealing with the madness the traffic in this area brings? Thisnk of this forum as one of those sign boards alerting us to the future of our commute. Many of us are "stuck" here till retirement, at which time many will put this area in the rear-view for the last time. Till then, we can relate our experiences and survival methodologies in forums such as this. At least give us some space, please. Your constant "GET A JOB CLOSER TO HOME, MOVE OUT OF STATE TO A LESS CONJESTED AREA, OR MOVE CLOSER TO YOUR CURRENT JOB" is about as juvenile a commentary I've seen on the many boards to which I post. You have shown very litle in the way of adding value to the topic here. And in case I haven't made my point, kindly, sir or madam, shut the effup.
LW - Ride On
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic