Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to start tipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to start tipping
    Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 5:31pm
OK, the tip jar is coming out. Gas is ridiculous, and the slow lanes aren't that bad with all the new slugs in line.

Suggested tips:
Rt3/Rt17 to Pentagon -$5.00
610 to Pentagon - $4.00
234 to Pentagon - $3.00
Up to the beltway to Pentagon - $2.00
Inside the beltway to Pentagon - $1.00

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 8:23pm
I say we just sell the items left in our cars on ebay. :D
SlugR View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 9:55pm
OK, the tip jar is coming out

OK, the bus tokens are coming out.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2005 at 11:31pm
If you want a tip, just go to the slow lanes both ways for two weeks, no change in plans. Either you find they are not that bad and use them from that point on, or you come back and thank me for waiting for a ride each way for about 35-40 minues each day, and standing out there in heat, rain, cold weather, and snow. And by the way, I won't ask you for a tip for my time standing out there waiting for a ride...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 6:51am
If 122582 wants his/her gas costs reduced he/she should form a car pool and have the drivers alternate using their own cars each week. We've done that for 8 years from Burke with 4 members, and it works great. We pick up slugs on Old Keene Mill Rd slug lines (no charge or tips required) when 2 of the 4 car pool members are traveling, on vacation, or have a day off. That's usually a couple times a month.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:16am
LOL.. 122582 Good luck. You already talked about this in another tread. I guess you will be the last truck to leave the sluglines each morning. I guess you will be heading in at 9:00 AM each morning and leaving at 6:00 PM each afternoon. Nobody is going to ride with you if you ask for tips. So either find a car pool or stop bitching.... Pick one or the other.
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:24am
Slugging is mutually beneficial regardless of the price of gas.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:39am
The cost of Gas is lower when you pick up slugs. Try burning fuel when idling in the regular lanes. Between wasted time and fuel cost, picking up slugs is still in your best financial interest. Also, any money obtained through tips is taxable income.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 9:52am
put the tip jar out....I dare you, watch what happens to it, and your slugs. :0
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 10:51am
If I could find folks to carpool with, I'd form a carpool over picking up slugs. I'm with 122582 on this. The cost is becoming a bit much, but a really bothersome aspect found in the responses to his not too gracious posting is the much less sympathetic responses of those found after his original posting.

Maybe it's just the new slugs this week (compounded after a 2 week vacation of not commuting), but the shine is starting to come off picking up some of the folks out there. I can imagine it's folks who have not yet referred to this website to ascertain the guidelines, but there does seem to be an expectation that borders on being owed something from the drivers.

This week's experiences: multiple cell phone calls received/placed, assumed "3rd slug" PRIVILEGEs, a scratch in the side of my car from an obviously overweight slug who couldn't drag themselves and their gear out of the car without damaging something.

The responses here so far do indicate something we all might want to think about, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic