Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to start tipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 11:57am
Well 10 dollars a day each way is a lot. I mean for that I might as well drive. I have free parking but I personally don't like to drive so I slug. I think if this became a rule you would find less slugs out there. Yes I can get into a car pool or take the bus. Slugging is just eaiser right now.

I just think slugging helps both parties to get to work. More slugs would drive if there are fewer drivers. I drive on bad days when the wait is to much.

Now my question would be do sluggers then get to choose what car they get into if they have to tip. I mean 5 bucks for the nice caddie SUV ride is better then 5 bucks for a stripped down two dorr civic.

Also if a VW that gets 40 miles per gallon pulls up is the tip less?

I think if we need to tip drivers shoulld post average mile per gallon and required tip so we can shop for the best ride then.
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:07pm
I'm inclined to agree with you N or S Bound. The vast majority of slugs I pick up are very nice, in fact I have a couple of them I really enjoy riding and talking with so if I see them in line I always offer them the ride no matter what order in line they are in....as is my prerogative. I had one yesterday morning though who looked at me crosseyed because I dropped them 1 block from their building and not directly in front LOL!! That one won't be allowed in my car again.

As for tips, I think those suggested amounts for tips are a little out of line. I realize I also get a benefit in that picking up allows me to get on the HOV, and know I am not running a for profit taxi service. However, with the recent big increases in gas prices, I don't think putting a voluntary tip can out in view labeled as such would be considered out of line. Heck, I would appreciate .25 or .50 from each of 2 slugs if they felt like chipping in. That would at least bring my gas costs down to the pre-NO disaster level and a little more in line with what it was a year ago.

And yes I have a nice car that is conducive to naps too.
protocol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protocol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:13pm
Gas prices go up EVERY year. Is our "obligation" to tip triggered by ANY increase in gas prices, or only "major" increases in gas prices? if so, what constitutes "major?"

(yes, yes, I know. Obligation is the wrong word. I can't think today. Forgive me.)

Slugcarrier, someone looks at you funny and you ban them from your car for all eternity? As long as their mouth is shut, why do you honestly care?
slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by protocol
[br]Gas prices go up EVERY year. Is our "obligation" to tip triggered by ANY increase in gas prices, or only "major" increases in gas prices? if so, what constitutes "major?"

(yes, yes, I know. Obligation is the wrong word. I can't think today. Forgive me.)

Slugcarrier, someone looks at you funny and you ban them from your car for all eternity? As long as their mouth is shut, why do you honestly care?

Where did I say "obligation?" I could have sworn I said "voluntary" and would be "appeciated." Sorry but, there are too many nice people in this world to have to put up with those with a 'tude, and that is what this one had. I have no time for people like that, maybe you do or maybe your are one LOL!!!!
cdatkins View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:50pm
I think most drivers are going to drive anyway, regardless of whether they are in the main lanes or in HOV. So you are going to pay for gas no matter what.

Slugging is mostly about cutting down the commute time. You give someone a ride (to a destination you are going anyway) and they allow you to do it more quickly.

So I can't see the logic in asking slugs to chip in for the extra cost of gasoline.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 12:55pm
Slugging works because it is simple. Some people are nice, some are downright rude. It's no different than any other aspect of daily life. Once you start asking for tips, things get much more complicated. Unless everyone asks for tips, you will be sitting there all alone while people go for a free ride first. Suppose they only have 20's? gonna make change? Bad idea all around.
nursechapel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursechapel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:03pm
I don't know about the suggested tip amounts, but the bus costs me $20 per day when I take it, and he's asking for only $10.

I drive and ride, so I don't think I would ever tip, however I've met a lot of slugs that haven't driven in years. I think those folks should pony up.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:09pm
So, will you go through the drivers looking for the best bargain NurseChapel? If you are going to pay, might as well choose a nice ride. I drive, have not slugged in a while. The agrrement has been that drivers pick up and drop off slugs with no money changing hands. You cannot suddenly start telling them to pay up. It's an unwritten social contract. I know gas is darned expensive, but this tipping thing is a big mistake. How could you ever determine a realistic tip? Do big SUV drivers get more than economy car drivers? Newer cars worth more? Dirty seats mean a 10% discount?
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 1:33pm
I really don't even care about this topic because I vanpool and the gas price increases only mean a matter of a couple dollars a month to me.

ANYWAY....if you want to start to enforce "tipping", the only way I can see this starting is by all of the drivers boycotting the slug lines. All of the stranded sluggers would then actually have to pay to get to work and would happily jump at the chance of tipping a small percentage of that in order to slug again.

I feel the tips proposed by the OP are way high...something along the lines of 1/5th that amount seems fairer.

So....WHO'S GOING TO START THE DRIVERS STRIKE????????????
avalanche22 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanche22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 2:02pm
Nobody... Everybody going to keep slugging and driving. We can vent about gas prices all day, for those drivers that are complaining about gas and tips need park there car and catch a free ride with everybody else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic