Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to start tipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st_driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 10:09pm
After reading this thread, I felt I had to register and say something. As a driver, I am concerned these guys are giving the rest of us bad names.

I do not look at slugs as freeloaders. If I did, I wouldn't pick them up and would sit like a prideful idiot in the slow lanes. Slugs save me time, and my family time is more precious than money.

I will always pick up 3 slugs in a long line. I do this because I believe it is the right thing to do. Doing good for others brightens my day, and as an added bonus, it doesn't put me out in the slightest.

I will never accept tips. I have to drive to work. I have to pay for the gas. I am saving time and money by picking up slugs. My other option is to be in the slow lanes, and that is not much of an option.

So slugs, fear not, because there are still decent drivers out there who abide by the rules.
rchqmc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rchqmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 7:22am
St_Driver,

Thank you. =)
Rebecca22193 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca22193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 8:13am
St Driver, Thanks for the kind words to slugs. And not to worry, we meet decent drivers 95% of the time. As a matter of fact, most of us slugs are also drivers -- so we know both sides of the coin.

Thanks again, it was nice to hear some positive feedback for a change!

Becky
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 12:45pm
122582 Posted - 26 Sep 2005 : 14:07:42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hauling slugs around - $600/month
VRE+Metro - $400/month
Vanpool - $160/month
carpool - $150/month

Watching 122582 get left behind while waiting for a tip - PRICELESS!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 12:47pm
St Driver, you are truely a saint! Both a driver and considerate, thank you for keeping the dream alive!
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 1:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by tangelo53
[br]ok, and what would his monthly costs be if he didn't pick up slugs? would parking prices change? NO! would gas prices change? NO! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

I think he answers that in his original post re: carpool costs, vanpool costs, VRE/Metro costs. I'm sure you can find it so I won't quote it again. However, it was SIGNIFICANTLY less.

I don't think you are getting the point KC. His original post spelled out the cost of vanpool, VRE, and hauling slugs (which he quoted as $600/month)....that is total BS. I wasn't asking for his alternative amounts....I was asking how he came up with the $600 just because he picks up slugs. If he didn't pick up slugs, he would be driving the main lanes, filling up his gas tank MUCH more often, still paying the same price to park his car, still has the same maintenance fees (oil changes, ect)...and if anything, MORE mechanic bills due to stop and go traffic on the main lanes...which does not amount to SIGNIFICANTLY LESS then picking up slugs. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE no doubt about it!!! I am a driver, and think this message is crazy! I am done.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 1:46pm
Hey tangelo53, don't get discouraged! The vast majority of riders are considerate people who appreciate the efforts of drivers. If no one has said it lately, "Thanks for the ride!"

And we riders know that the majority of drivers are not money-grubbung, HOV pirates looking for handouts from unsuspecting slug riders. Unfortunately, a few bad apples can leave a bad taste...
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 2:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by tangelo53
[br]
I don't think you are getting the point KC. His original post spelled out the cost of vanpool, VRE, and hauling slugs (which he quoted as $600/month)....that is total BS. I wasn't asking for his alternative amounts....I was asking how he came up with the $600 just because he picks up slugs. If he didn't pick up slugs, he would be driving the main lanes, filling up his gas tank MUCH more often, still paying the same price to park his car, still has the same maintenance fees (oil changes, ect)...and if anything, MORE mechanic bills due to stop and go traffic on the main lanes...which does not amount to SIGNIFICANTLY LESS then picking up slugs. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY MORE no doubt about it!!! I am a driver, and think this message is crazy! I am done.

No, I think I get your point, but you point has no point because it has nothing to do with his original post. His post simply said:

Hauling slugs around - $600/month
VRE+Metro - $400/month
Vanpool - $160/month
carpool - $150/month

It DID NOT SAY:

Driving in the regular lanes - $xxx/month
Hauling slugs around - $xxx + $600/month
VRE+Metro - $400/month
Vanpool - $160/month
carpool - $150/month

Nowhere in his post does he claim that picking up slugs costs him $600 more than if he were to still drive, but not pick up slugs.

Furthermore, driving in the regular lanes w/o slugs wasn't even an option listed in his list of alternatives. As with anyone who is used to commuting in the HOV, going back to the regular lanes is NOT an option.
nursechapel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursechapel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 1:57pm
hmmm, $16 per day parking drivers save slugs, on top of gas and aggravation.

The loan for our swimming pool is less than that.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 3:32pm
Can I come over for a swim?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic