Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tinted Windows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:35pm
The law (at least in Virginia) is that the tinting must conform to the laws of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. So a vehicle from South Carolina can legally have a darker tint on the front windows than one from Virginia. There are also (if I recall) exemptions for limos.
Most of the variance between state laws is only with regards to the driver's and front passenger's window. Thats why there is often a dark tint on the rear windows of a SUV and no tint on the front as it comes off the assembly line.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 4:50pm
from what I've heard you're correct mroyal. I'm one step past legal on the rear and legal on the sides. Have had no problems for the past 3 years.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:18am
quote:
Originally posted by koakui
[br]I have 50 up front and 30 in the back. I bought my car in SoCal where I used to live where tint is legal. Keeping in mind the strictness of the rules here, I went that light so cops could see in the car. I've never had a problem yet and its been 4 years. Knock on wood. Is it true you can still get a medical waiver for the front windows? I've never tried since I haven't been hassled by the police over my tint. I actually got it because the sun is so bright it would hurt my eyes and it keeps the car cooler too.

The tint that you have on your car is actually VA legal. I have been running 20% on my past 3 cars (all black with black interior) and, knock on wood, have never been pulled over. The medical waiver, which I have, lets you get the front windows one shade darker (30%). Those carstrucks considered to be SUV, MiniVans, etc can actually get 20% on all of the back windows but 50% on the sides. But those of you who own PT Cruisers beware, although nationally you are considered an "SUV" but in the state of VA you are not. Therefor the factory tint that comes on the car is actually illegal! Thats the Commonwealth for ya
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:20am
Thanks Robert, and this is the exemption used by Limos

L. The provisions of subdivision C 1 of this section shall not apply to sight-seeing carriers as defined in § 46.2-2000 and contract passenger carriers as defined in § 46.2-2000.

"Contract passenger carrier" means a motor carrier that transports groups of passengers under a single contract made with one person for an agreed charge for such transportation, regardless of the number of passengers transported, and for which transportation no individual or separate fares are solicited, charged, collected, or received by the carrier.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:59am
I actually went home and double checked my tint. I'm 30 up front and 15 in the back. I'm darker than I thought I was. Funny enough too, I read the above rules and I have stickers on the top of my back windshield too. Inspections are never a problem though. I'm just a regular lawbreaker it seems. I guess I'll feign ignorance at the law when and if I'm pulled over and explain to them that I got the car tinted in CA and didn't know the rules. Maybe the dumb girl syndrome will work. You can actually see in my car though and when the cops are on the ramp looking in for slugs, they've never have a problem. LOL
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:13am
One thing related to tinted windows is that when the cops are doing HOV enforcement at the ramps, the driver should lower the windows on the appropriate side so the cops can see in. It is ridiculous and kind of embarrassing when the trooper has to strain to see the back passenger. It would make things so easy to just lower the windows.
lvalleburke View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvalleburke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:58pm
Very true Bob, I did that once to avoid being pulled over.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:14pm
Yep, roll the windows down to help them count AND to thank them for their enforcement activities!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 10:26am
I've been told by a cop friend that those with tinted windows are perceived by the police to be either drug dealers, users, or other type of law breakers and they always look twice at them to pull over.

Personally I could never figure out why people like that dark stuff on their windows anyway. It's not like we live in the deep south where it (supposedly) keeps the car cooler so I don't get the point. Also, I hate riding in the back seat of those pimpmobiles. Very clausterphobic feeling and I can't read.
lvalleburke View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvalleburke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 3:06pm
Cops would assume that instead of thinking 'hmmmm, maybe it's a hobby of theirs to hook up cars' but no they always assume the worse. Plus, you don't have to understand it if it isn't your 'thing' to begin with, it's a hobby for most of us but it's not easy to let it be when people are always harassing us because we have tint, rims, halogen lights, etc. I'm not saying all of us are like me, because I have seen some others take it to the extreme. My 2 cents.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic