Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KATRINA'S IMPACT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:48pm
Or apples to bananas....which I apparently was when I first read your post. I guess I part ways with some on this thread that it is big business out to destroy us and I may be a tad defensive. The American consumer deserves just as much blame. Some lady on the news was stating she absolutely had to have her SUV to carry her kids around from school to sports, etc. Made me wonder how the heck my Mom carted my brother and I around in our VW bug. I mean, the football, lacrosse stick and band instruements were in our laps so we didn't get a good view of the DVD playing (oh wait....there wasn't one) but I don't remember complaining.

You make a fine point my friend. It is us the consumers allowing ourselves to be screwed through our overzealous consumption. I whole-heartedly agree with you.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 10:28am
Thanks Dhachim, I googled it. Goin to NY Saturday though, I'll get the real thing, save Pardrino's for a future craving!! Happy almost Friday!

:'}
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 10:43am
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Dhacim,
I already sent my contribution to my brother and family down in Biloxi.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

That wasn't me buddy, I just replied with a Moody Girl quote.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 7:25am
Ok Dhacim, we were out and about last night, and happened apon Padrino's II, you were rite!! Good, hot crunchy greasy pizza!! BTW- the Chinese restaurant next door is very good also, we used to go there.

Route 17 Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Route 17 Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 4:49pm

Please educate YOURSELF on some of the facts. One small example: the "toxic Texan's" administration updated and suceeded in writing one of the most punative environmental regulations regarding gasoline and diesel storage tanks, i.e. terminals and bulk storage plants. (What a friend he is to the oil business!) Every previous adminstration since the rule first came out about 30 years ago conducted, oh maybe, a half-dozen inspection per year. Since 2001, EPA inspectors have conducted well over 100 inspections on storage facilities, resulting in several hundred thousand dollars in fines. Hmm...didn't find this particular fact out on the all-knowing "web"???

Granted....most on the liberal side of the aisle don't think the current administration is doing enough but give some credit where credit is due. Even I can say some good things about the Clinton years.

Stewart, what regulation was updated? Please enlighten me. I'm glad the EPA is giving citations to those who violate UST regulations. I work with environmental lawyers and legistlative consultants. I also have a friend that works at CQ. Do you know what resolutions and bills are on the agenda for today? What's passed? What has been amended? I do. I am a WTC survivor and have since 9/11 developed asthma so I guess I have a personal stake in environmental issues, more than I used to. I can give credit where credit it due but it won't be to this administration regarding environmental issues and for the record, I'm not a liberal.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 11:03am
Ah, but most slugs are anti-environiment. Just notice the hybrid bashing. One would think those who care about the envirionment would embrace all incentives to reduce pollution by getting more on the road as replacements for higher polluting cars anyway possible.
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 4:49pm
let us see.. we're are allowed to look to the government for help us out of disasters but we are not allowed to hold it responsible for the price gouging occurring in favor of industries with which certain key governmental figures have direct interest and affiliation.

got it.

I do agree there is strength in numbers. Get involved and stop letting that socio-path have his way.

When the oil companies are making the biggest profit margin in world history right now, it's hardly digestable that the hurricane or anything but inconceivable greed, caused the price of gas to raise.

pretty soon no one will afford to drive to work and there will be no incentive to commute to DC because the cost to do so will weigh against the benefits. oh how our wannabe towns will suffer.

nicely done.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 9:04am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Ah, but most slugs are anti-environiment. Just notice the hybrid bashing. One would think those who care about the envirionment would embrace all incentives to reduce pollution by getting more on the road as replacements for higher polluting cars anyway possible.

More distortions. Letting hybrids have their exemption is not automatically pro-environment. First, some of the hybirds are dirty. Basically, half the models currently out aren't any cleaner than the average conventional car. Second, giving the exemption gives and incentive to move further out and driving more miles since they can just jump on the HOVs and make up the time. Third, it clogs up the HOVs lanes and slows down buses and carpoolers nullifying the time advantage necessary to entice people to use these options.
I'm all for hybrids and happy to see them in the HOVs with the the occupants.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 10:48am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Ah, but most slugs are anti-environiment. Just notice the hybrid bashing. One would think those who care about the envirionment would embrace all incentives to reduce pollution by getting more on the road as replacements for higher polluting cars anyway possible.

More distortions. Letting hybrids have their exemption is not automatically pro-environment. First, some of the hybirds are dirty. Basically, half the models currently out aren't any cleaner than the average conventional car. Second, giving the exemption gives and incentive to move further out and driving more miles since they can just jump on the HOVs and make up the time. Third, it clogs up the HOVs lanes and slows down buses and carpoolers nullifying the time advantage necessary to entice people to use these options.
I'm all for hybrids and happy to see them in the HOVs with the the occupants.

Wagonman, the distortions are from you. Most of the hybrids are not dirty, and giving them the exemption helps not only clean up the environment, but also reduces overall consumption. The Express (HOV) lanes are far less clogged than the regular lanes - just look to your right. We must continue the exemption until the lanes are at about the same pace - and then eliminate all non hybrids, since the other cars will just slow down the buses and environmentally better and consumption better cars. Once that becomes clogged, then we can go back to HOV hybrid, keeping regular cars out of the express lanes.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Thanks Dhachim, I googled it. Goin to NY Saturday though, I'll get the real thing, save Pardrino's for a future craving!! Happy almost Friday!

Hey...what are slugs for. Its not quite NY....but its the best they got around here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic